Guitar Playing

I would just as soon use standard notation for guitar or mandolin or ukulele, but for 5-string banjo, I have difficulty reading directly from standard notation and I have to either do it by ear, or if I want it note for note, I'll tab it out. It must be the thumb string that throws me and the "no two eighth notes in a row with the same finger or on the same string" rule that I try to follow
Ya know, Jim, I asked someone about the “no two eighth notes etc etc etc” rule, and he said he’d never heard of it. I tried to follow it too. Now I play 2 finger, so I guess it’s easier. I really miss clawhammer though. I play it once in a while just for ol’ times sake. My banjo books are also without standard notation, so I just play tabs. I know some tunes by memory too.

Roger Ruthen's website has tabs with duration markings for his guitar, ukiversal (can be played on reentrant or linear) linear uke arrangements. He doesn't bother with the exact notes and pitches. Here's an example:
https://pdfminstrel.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/a_coy_toy_john_dowland.pdf

His guitalele and his high G ukulele arrangements have the two (standard on top with tabs underneath):
https://pdfminstrel.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/kemps_jig_g.pdf

I think that you'll enjoy looking at and playing his arrangements, Dick. Some of his work focuses on melody picking, e.g. his celtic ukulele arrangements. Other work uses the chord melody based on the chord shapes. He has transcribed lots of renaissance and baroque repertoire, which I know you adore!

Ya know, Jim, I asked someone about the “no two eighth notes etc etc etc” rule, and he said he’d never heard of it. I tried to follow it too. Now I play 2 finger, so I guess it’s easier. I really miss clawhammer though. I play it once in a while just for ol’ times sake. My banjo books are also without standard notation, so I just play tabs. I know some tunes by memory too.
I don't know if that's actually a rule. I just use it as much as I can for three finger playing because it seems to make things go smoother.
I play a lot more clawhammer and 2 finger these days since I have arthritis which slows me down. At 78, I'm not as fast at anything than I was a few years ago.

Yeah, I know what you’re sayin’. I‘m 85, and I only know about half of what’s goin’ on. It’s amazin’ what people are doin’ now days.

Ha! Jim, I never was fast at anything. I got a snootful now, and I’m afraid to go near my new guitar.

I’m still working on the standard notation, but I’m using tunes rather than scales now. I’m having trouble finding the notes without looking at my left hand though. I’ve about decided to go ahead and watch my self.

I’ve looked at lots of pictures of famous Classical Guitarists, and many of them are looking at their hands and strings. Rules are made to be broken!

If you need to look at your left hand, you don't need to dig up pictures of past players to justify it; just do it.

However, needing to look at your left hand while playing generally prevents you from also reading the music at the same time which can be a bit of a nuisance. See if you can become familiar with the fretborad enough that you only need to look at your left hand when changing hand positions or playing more complicated passages, etc. This way, you can read and just memorize the short sections when you need to look at your left hand.

Well, Clear, I am familiar with the fret board, but my left hand fingers aren’t. I’ve been playing baritone uke for a long time, and the 5th and 6th strings are a piece of cake. Also, I play some of my other stuff without lookin’, or mebbe just a bit of lookin’. But the fret spaces are different size, I guess. Maybe I had a bad day yesterday. I’ll keep trying to day, but I’m gonna peek!

I have decided to hold back (mostly) on Classical Guitar (again) and go back to basics. My guitar’s neck is a lot wider than a uke or a banjo a mandolin (duh!), and I’m havin’ trouble fretting cleanly. My left hand position is bad too. It’s amazing how many incorrect things one learns when he’s self taught. I could have at least followed the books or videos better — ahhh, well . . .

Anyway, that’s what I’m doing now, instead to trying to play all those CG exercises, etc.

I have decided to hold back (mostly) on Classical Guitar (again) and go back to basics. My guitar’s neck is a lot wider than a uke or a banjo a mandolin (duh!), and I’m havin’ trouble fretting cleanly. My left hand position is bad too. It’s amazing how many incorrect things one learns when he’s self taught. I could have at least followed the books or videos better — ahhh, well . . .

Check out https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/index.php
They have free online lessons where you submit videos of yourself which is useful in detecting bad posture and hand positions (the exact issues you mentioned).

Anyway, that’s what I’m doing now, instead to trying to play all those CG exercises, etc.

Just doing CG exercises is going to be very boring. You should mix in songs.

They have free online lessons where you submit videos of yourself which is useful in detecting bad posture and hand positions (the exact issues you mentioned).

I dunno about the first one, but I have been playing a few tunes here and there. I’m working on Fingerstyle too. Most of my problems center around playing chords, but first I’ve gotta correct my fretting. If it ain’t one thang it’s a nuther . . .

I haven’t done much to improve my Classical Guitar or Fingerstyle lately. I’m too busy trying to correct all the bad stuff that I taught myself in the past. Apparently I was a horrible teacher. Aaah, well . . .

Well, I’ve mostly straightened out the basic stuff, so now I’m back into my books. I’m learning to read where to fret the notes on each string which is pretty easy by now, but I’m using dots (notation) which makes it more difficult. It’s also slow and a bit boring.

I am still having trouble fretting and picking on the same string, but that’s some better too. All in all, I’m on my way.

Perhaps this is a generational question? I remember seeing The New Christy Minstrels perform at The Troubadour in Hollywood back in the '60s. The tune was "Walk Right In, Sit Right Down." ----- They performed it standing up! :cool:
When Country Joe MacDonald was asked to fill in some time between two acts at Woodstock, he was handed a Yamaha FG180 and asked to sing a few tunes. He said that there was no strap and he couldn't play sitting down, so someone cut a guy rope off a tarp and made a strap.
I saw Joeat Hamilton, Ontaio's Festival Of Friends about a decade ago and he played his entire set sitting down. Hesaid, "I don't get invited to many folk festivals these days. They're probably afraid I'll do this: GIMME AN F!"

Country Joe's strap.jpg

I played well yesterday, and the dots are coming along. Learning new stuff is just boring sometime. When, I was in college some of the books I had to read would put an insomniac to sleep. Even stuff one likes to do is sometimes a drag.

The “trouble” we have is what keeps us going and dragging along. The payoff comes when one finally “gets it” on his/her own. Then it’s time to tackle more but different “trouble”. Thank God for the boredom and trouble.

When Country Joe MacDonald was asked to fill in some time between two acts at Woodstock, he was handed a Yamaha FG180 and asked to sing a few tunes. He said that there was no strap and he couldn't play sitting down, so someone cut a guy rope off a tarp and made a strap.
I saw Joeat Hamilton, Ontaio's Festival Of Friends about a decade ago and he played his entire set sitting down. Hesaid, "I don't get invited to many folk festivals these days. They're probably afraid I'll do this: GIMME AN F!"

View attachment 142956
You posted the wrong place Jim. Old age is rough ain‘t it ?

I’m still workin’ on positions 1 and 2 with easy tunes, but my old fretting habits are very difficult to break. The tunes are more fun than the exercises at least.

Lately I‘ve been havin’ a heck of a time playin’ chords on my Classical Guitar. I‘ve been playing it on my right thigh, laying on my lap, but the frets were just too far apart. C-major was really a stretch. Then, the other night, I decided to play around with my foot rest, and, voila!, no problem! Even C-major was playable. Before, I tried the foot rest and the dumb left thigh rest and disliked both. Now, the foot rest (now an old, plastic toolbox just the correct size) is a useful tool.

I sorta thought it was for comfort or looks or somethin’ else. Well, live and learn.

Does anyone use a Black Mountain thumb pick that’s also a flat pick? How do you like it? I have a Bumble Bee, but it’s too small to use.

Lately I‘ve been havin’ a heck of a time playin’ chords on my Classical Guitar. I‘ve been playing it on my right thigh, laying on my lap, but the frets were just too far apart. C-major was really a stretch. Then, the other night, I decided to play around with my foot rest, and, voila!, no problem! Even C-major was playable. Before, I tried the foot rest and the dumb left thigh rest and disliked both. Now, the foot rest (now an old, plastic toolbox just the correct size) is a useful tool.

I sorta thought it was for comfort or looks or somethin’ else. Well, live and learn.
You might try "Guitar Lift" it let's you sit more naturally with both feet on the floor but still keeps your guitar where you want it.

Top Bottom