Greetings from West Virginia...

StringBandUke

Reaction score
Although I've played a number of instruments since childhood, the ukulele became a part of my world relatively recently. As a child, I was exposed to the music of my father and his family, who played Old Time music featuring archtop guitar, open back banjo, Hawaiian guitar, and Autoharp. I remember seeing a "mail order" ukulele at my great uncle's, and my father talking about "My Dog Has Fleas" tuning, but I was already being encouraged to learn mandolin and I never pursued the ukulele.

I played fiddle, guitar, and mandolin in local and regional Bluegrass bands after High School, and that was my primary musical focus for many years. Did a stint playing Country as a sideman on the Wheeling Jamboree. Shortly after retiring from a career in Law Enforcement, I had the pleasure one evening of sitting and listening to 2 gentlemen playing a ukulele and a tenor banjo, and I really liked it! It took me way back in time to my musical roots. I began to explore the history of the ukulele in Old Time music and studied the styles of Roscoe Russell, Leroy Troy, and Lil' Rev. I was hooked. I'm now continually working on my own rhythm and lead style, and incorporating ukulele when I play out anywhere. I currently favor a pair of Ohanas, a Vita Uke and a Lyon and Healy copy Bell Uke. They work for me.

That's about it! Thank you for membership in your group.

Welcome to UU, StringBandUke!
It sounds like you have a solid foundation by now, and that you enjoy music a lot. I hope that you'll find some time to share some of your work with us.

Welcome to UU, StringBandUke!
It sounds like you have a solid foundation by now, and that you enjoy music a lot. I hope that you'll find some time to share some of your work with us.
Thank you! The uke is a constant learning experience for me, literally starting from scratch as I have. I'm light years from where I hope to be someday, but I sure am enjoying myself!

Welcome to the UU Forum StringBandUke. Thanks for sharing your background and ukuleles.

Resisted piano lessons as a kid. Tried guitar several times. My fingers wouldn't cooperate. Found ukulele 4 years ago.

My parents and grandparents listened to Classical and Big Band music. I went to many concerts by the Cleveland and Akron Ohio Orchestras. I sang a lot of folk music and DooWop, rock/pop during my school years. Attending several Kingston Trio, Mitchell Trio, PP&M, Pete Seeger, Beatles at Cleveland Stadium, CS&N, Roches, Simon & Garfunkle, etc. concerts. Moved to jazz and blues as my preferred listening choices. Never got into Opera, though I did suffer through Beethoven's only attempt. I like some country and bluegrass. (Don't like old-timey.) Enjoy World Music. Even some New Age. And other stuff.

I'm enjoying being able to play along with songs I sing. A lot!

Most of all, it's fun to get together with others who play. And meeting people like those who frequent this forum.

Welcome to the UU Forum StringBandUke. Thanks for sharing your background and ukuleles.

Resisted piano lessons as a kid. Tried guitar several times. My fingers wouldn't cooperate. Found ukulele 4 years ago.

My parents and grandparents listened to Classical and Big Band music. I went to many concerts by the Cleveland and Akron Ohio Orchestras. I sang a lot of folk music and DooWop, rock/pop during my school years. Attending several Kingston Trio, Mitchell Trio, PP&M, Pete Seeger, Beatles at Cleveland Stadium, CS&N, Roches, Simon & Garfunkle, etc. concerts. Moved to jazz and blues as my preferred listening choices. Never got into Opera, though I did suffer through Beethoven's only attempt. I like some country and bluegrass. (Don't like old-timey.) Enjoy World Music. Even some New Age. And other stuff.

Most of all, it's fun to get together with others who play. And meeting people like those who frequent this forum.

Big fan of Pete Seeger's (half) brother Mike...what an influential musical family! Also Levon Helm and The Band, as well as Paul "Presto" Prestopino from The Mitchell Trio, PP&M, and others. Good music is good music...

Welcome to UU StringBandUke and a big hello from Chicago!

Good to knpw you! I started on Guitar, six and twelve string for many years; along the way I added Electric Bass guitar, Double Bass, Dulcimer and a touch of sitar. But the ukulele is a perfect portable instrument, capable of much more than an unenlightened observer may imagine!

Good to knpw you! I started on Guitar, six and twelve string for many years; along the way I added Electric Bass guitar, Double Bass, Dulcimer and a touch of sitar. But the ukulele is a perfect portable instrument, capable of much more than an unenlightened observer may imagine!
I totally agree!

Top Bottom