got Hawaiian shirts?

Manaola Hawaii

285563456_3169196283337486_4694888668007498214_n.jpg

I just discovered Kahulalea .
I think their shirts are more formal , like for a wedding .
https://kahulale-a.myshopify.com/collections/mens

image_7bf2cf41-89b4-43dd-b60f-9a95076d5b35.jpg

Office wear, too! This is the kind of shirt I see doctors and bank managers wear around town.

I tend to stick with used, just because they're so plentiful, and even Goodwill can afford to be a little picky about what they put up for sale.

Outside of work, the tank shirt is far more common, usually with a few stripes, almost never with "Hawaiian" designs or prints.

Those two and a pair of decent shorts and slippahs (aka flip flops) make up 99% of my wardrobe, and the tank shirts get the nod 90% of the time. Now that I think about it, I mostly only wear my Aloha shirts to visit the aforementioned doctors and bankers. 🤣

I remember the last time I wore a pair of trousers rather than shorts, because it was also my last concert: Todd Rundgren at The Blue Note in Waikiki, an extremely rare Oahu date for our neighbor from Kauai, on November 24, 2018. It's a no-photo venue, so I snuck this pic after his final bow, as I stood to leave -- he performed in his pajamas. He actually said, "Yes, they're pajamas."

tumblr_pirvbwVbHo1snb6qwo1_1280.jpg

Hawaiians wouldn't wear cosmic paisley... or would they?

Todd's owned property on Kauai since 1992, and moved to Hawaii full time in 1996. His two sons went to school on Oahu, and one played minor league baseball for a team on Maui. I think that counts as Hawaiian enough. 😁

That said, even though he's been a pinnacle-tier fave for over 50 years, I wouldn't look to him as an example of "typical" anything. Hence him being a fave for so long. 🤣

Last edited:
Office wear, too! This is the kind of shirt I see doctors and bank managers wear around town.

I tend to stick with used, just because they're so plentiful, and even Goodwill can afford to be a little picky about what they put up for sale.

Outside of work, the tank shirt is far more common, usually with a few stripes, almost never with "Hawaiian" designs or prints.

Those two and a pair of decent shorts and slippahs (aka flip flops) make up 99% of my wardrobe, and the tank shirts get the nod 90% of the time. Now that I think about it, I mostly only wear my Aloha shirts to visit the aforementioned doctors and bankers. 🤣

I remember the last time I wore a pair of trousers rather than shorts, because it was also my last concert: Todd Rundgren at The Blue Note in Waikiki, an extremely rare Oahu date for our neighbor from Kauai, on November 24, 2018. It's a no-photo venue, so I snuck this pic after his final bow, as I stood to leave -- he performed in his pajamas. He actually said, "Yes, they're pajamas."

tumblr_pirvbwVbHo1snb6qwo1_1280.jpg
That album is a masterpiece. Todd is such an incredibly talented musician.
Had to laugh at your remark about hardly wearing real pants. We just returned from a 5 week visit with my brother and sister in law who live on the windward side. In the 33 years we've been married outside of when we married, I've only seen my brother in law wear pants a couple of times. He and my sister in law were going to Pasadena to visit their grandkids and he put on pants because the temps were going to be 65-70!!!!!

He and my sister in law were going to Pasadena to visit their grandkids and he put on pants because the temps were going to be 65-70!!!!!

It so rarely gets that low that I'd still stick with shorts, but maybe wear long sleeves. I feel like I'm a reptile breathing though my skin, and pants make me feel like I'm choking for air. 🤣 It's hilarious, but absolutely true.

I've been thinking about it since my previous post, and I'm all but certain that that was my only time wearing trousers since I got off the plane to move here!

My list of favorite Todd albums could be summarized as "dang near all of 'em", but yeah, Something/Anything? is something special. It's exasperating that I used to see him regularly on the mainland, but he just doesn't play here at all apart from that show I saw, plus one the following night. It was the end of the tour, right before Thanksgiving, and everyone stayed in the hotel where the Blue Note is located. I thought, "Perfect! Now do that every year and we're golden!" But no, even though both nights sold out, and I'll bet he could've sold out a full week or more.

And yes, I did wear an Aloha shirt along with my trousers. 😁

Last edited:
It so rarely gets that low that I'd still stick with shorts, but maybe wear long sleeves. I feel like I'm a reptile breathing though my skin, and pants make me feel like I'm choking for air. 🤣 It's hilarious, but absolutely true.

I've been thinking about it since my previous post, and I'm all but certain that that was my only time wearing trousers since I got off the plane to move here!

My list of favorite Todd albums could be summarized as "dang near all of 'em", but yeah, Something/Anything? is something special. It's exasperating that I used to see him regularly on the mainland, but he just doesn't play here at all apart from that show I saw, plus one the following night. It was the end of the tour, right before Thanksgiving, and everyone stayed in the hotel where the Blue Note is located. I thought, "Perfect! Now do that every year and we're golden!" But no, even though both nights sold out, and I'll bet he could've sold out a full week or more.

And yes, I did wear an Aloha shirt along with my trousers. 😁

When my mother-in-law was still living, she called us one Christmas Morning to wish us a Merry Christmas. We live in Connecticut. She said the weather was really chilly that morning, it was 65!!!!!!
I met a friend that morning to run and it was 2 below zero!!!!!
Todd plays in my area from time to time. My first time seeing him was when I was at Berklee. He played a one man show at The Paradise. Last time I saw him was maybe 10 years ago. I've been a fan for over 50 years!
The Moana had a show group called Society of Seven who worked there for years before they opened the Blue Note. We saw them a number of times. They were really good. Funny thing is the first time I saw Bruno Mars on some award show I thought his act reminded me of Society of Seven. I didn't know anything about him including he was from Hawaii.
I didn't get out to hear anyone except The Royal Hawaiian Band at Iolani Palace on our recent trip. I did attend the jam that Kanilea holds at the Windward Mall with Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel. We just got back a week ago. We're going to see Jake this evening in Ridgefield Ct.

What's a Hawaiian shirt LOL? We don't use that term here in Hawaii. Do u mean an aloha shirt? Or just a Hawaii shirt that has some type of Hawaiian design?

C’mon—a Hawaiian shirt with a button-down collar?

That's for church, or a wedding or graduation, that kind of thing. What I found even more striking was that it's buttoned all the way to the neck -- what?!? -- but it's the same thinking: when it's time to dress up, but in this style.

At least the collar is super roomy. With years of nothing but Aloha shirts and tank tops, I've gotten to where I can't stand anything all the way around my neck, even a t-shirt. Maybe even especially t-shirts. I mostly just don't wear them anymore, but there are a couple that I've cut the collars off to give me room to breathe. Island problems, yeah? LOL

Actually I have dozens of Hawaiian shirts from several decades of collecting them…and I just don’t wear them any longer…. All are Hawaiian made and range from L-XL all in excellent many in unworn condition. I have been trying to figure out if they have any value ..some I bought new and never wore Others I rarely if ever wore and some were favorites that were worn regularly This pick is of a small portion but should give an idea. I have both cotton ones and rayon ones. I have many Reyn Spooner I no longer live in a tropical climate so seldom if ever wear these. At the time I lived in South Florida and most are at least 15 years old many even more vintage …any suggestions ?
I have a brother in Miami whose business is buying and selling vintage clothes. I can ask him if he's interested in Hawaiian shirts. Please send me a message through this site if you're interested.

I have a few. My in-laws used to travel to Hawaii every couple years and they would always bring back Hilo Hattie's for all of us on the mainland. I grew out of the earlier ones a long time ago, but have actually lost some weight recently, so one that hadn't fit anymore is actually something I can wear again. Unfortunately, I think I donated some of the ones that stopped fitting. In any case, the more recent ones either fit, or are a little big now. That's okay because then they are more comfortable when it gets hot.

Top Bottom