got Hawaiian shirts?

Actually I have dozens of Hawaiian shirts from several decades of collecting them…and I just don’t wear them any longer…. All are Hawaiian made and range from L-XL all in excellent many in unworn condition. I have been trying to figure out if they have any value ..some I bought new and never wore Others I rarely if ever wore and some were favorites that were worn regularly This pick is of a small portion but should give an idea. I have both cotton ones and rayon ones. I have many Reyn Spooner I no longer live in a tropical climate so seldom if ever wear these. At the time I lived in South Florida and most are at least 15 years old many even more vintage …any suggestions ?

Attachments

• C395746F-63AE-4602-AEA8-D5E4CE0328AB.jpeg
    C395746F-63AE-4602-AEA8-D5E4CE0328AB.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 31
You could join the Reyn Spooner FB group and pitch them there. A bunch of folks unhaul relatives’ shirts there and it’s full of nice people.

If you have old clothes you do not wear or want anymore, simply recycle them. Choose a favourite charity and put them in the clothes bin, or if they seem to be a bit more valuable, take them to the ladies at the counter. The established charities have outlets to sell high value clothing to yield a nice profit, and also to make some nice clothes available at low prices for those who are struggling.

And I have heard all the stuff about charities and people stealing from the bins and stuff, and I still suggest that you recycle your unwanted clothes through a favourite and established charity.

Some of the Hawaiian shirts are collectible and can yield a nice return for the charity.
"Always give back: Pay attention to your guts when you feel that someone needs your help and don't hesitate on giving them a hand!"
Terry Carter , Uke. Like The Pros
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cdtan4MJNdi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

My "Hawaiian" shirt has an IZOD label in it so probably not from the Islands (unless you count Manhattan Island).

I’ve got a whole collection size of men’s Large that I’d like to sell say for $4 a piece, all different shirts, vintage. Stuff that I liked the looks of. I keep them in a box in my bedroom closet. I haven’t counted them. Is there anyone out there interested in buying in bulk and paying shipping costs. I’m in theSF Bay Area.

I remember asking the woman at Bailey’s in Honolulu what my shirt was worth, hoping to hear a really good price. She said it’s a really nice shirt but only worth about $5. She showed me the $7000 ones, the specially sewn collar, some made in France. Coconut buttons didn’t add value.

Anyway, some really nice aloha shirts in bulk, men’s large, $4 per piece. Use them how you like. Wear them, frame them, chop them up and use for quilts, whatever. Good shape for their age and don’t ask me their ages.

If you’re really interested I can send some group of eight or so photos.

Kimosabe
What size(s) in your collection?

Designed and made my own. Not uke related though.:rolleyes:
aaee1a232dbf5fd4f2778f048252e7417b5fabf1.jpg

ede06b58f5bfeec2bf5954a7f7fd0b422ef0740d.jpg

b54678329b5f04bab9b55193da9367787800e7fa.jpg

086969340b37545b5fe852b09b62a839441f8af4.jpg

i avoided them like the plague for years but on my trip to Hawaii
in Feb 2014 - where i spent a couple of days in and around Honolulu w/
my friend mmstan (also a member here) and a little over two weeks
around Hana on Maui - my resistance failed me!

i'm wearing it in the clip below. Warning - sunglasses required!
it never ceases to draw a raised eyebrow and a smile. :)

Last edited:
Before the pandemic, I played in a Hawaiian music group that had occasional gigs. We almost always wore Hawaiian (aka Aloha) shirts. I have several. I prefer subtle colors and patterns.

🤷‍♀️🤨Where’d she go?

😎thoroughly enjoyed…thoroughly enjoyed, mate. 😏☺️

Spooners are great. I love how they feel after you break them in - I just wish at their prices they were all made in Hawaii like their limited shirts.

Actually I have dozens of Hawaiian shirts from several decades of collecting them…and I just don’t wear them any longer…. All are Hawaiian made and range from L-XL all in excellent many in unworn condition. I have been trying to figure out if they have any value ..some I bought new and never wore Others I rarely if ever wore and some were favorites that were worn regularly This pick is of a small portion but should give an idea. I have both cotton ones and rayon ones. I have many Reyn Spooner I no longer live in a tropical climate so seldom if ever wear these. At the time I lived in South Florida and most are at least 15 years old many even more vintage …any suggestions ?
That collection could make a fabulous Hawaiian-shirt-themed QUILT!

You ROCKED that song!

"MANAOLA presents a Hawaiian lifestyle brand that creates indigenous artistry empowered by cultural values and ancestral knowledge."
quote from Manaola facebook page

116265208_2653309554926164_7835004087382074590_n.jpg

Top Bottom