From uke to banjo?

EddiePlaysBass

Reaction score
I am mainly a bass player, but love to play around with the uke too. I got to talking to an old friend who's a singer/guitarist and I wanna do a small bluegrass-based project with him. I'd mainly play upright bass, but was wondering whether some banjo would be nice to diversify the sound.

For those who play both, is there any advantage to already playing the uke, when taking up banjo? For what it's worth, I am mainly a finger style uke player/picker. I do strum, but not as much.

Bluegrass banjo isn't something you take up and a few months later you're ready to play. It takes a lot of work and time and especially, listening to lots of bluegrass banjo to play well and sound professional. But it is a great instrument to play. In general, they say it takes a few years to become o.k. and 5 years to become decent. There are tons of resources to help you play, but it's a great idea to take lessons from a bona fide banjo instructor, not a guitarist with a banjo, for at least a few lessons, and as often as you can afford thereafter. Don't forget, if you play bluegrass, you need to learn and become comfortable to play with finger picks and a thumb pick. If that makes you uncomfortable, try picking clawhammer. It's much easier to start out on and be able to play with others quickly. It also sounds great with a string band. Good luck and have fun.

Not related, but clawhammer style can apply to both banjo and ukulele (high g).

Top Bottom