Free online classical guitar class

clear

Reaction score
I think this is a great class and would like to tell more people.

This online class completely free.

The way it works is you post videos of you playing the assigned songs each month and get feedback from peers and more experienced players. The levels go from D01 to D08, where each level is about 1 year of study. The only requirement is a classical guitar and a way to post videos (e.g. smartphone/webcam).

The website is https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ (you must log in to remove ads). Class materials can be downloaded once you've posted a few messages on the board. They are a super friendly bunch; very much reminds me of UU folks here.

I joined the D01 (the very beginning class); and, because of the video posting requirement, I have my whole history online.

My very first submission (I thought it was my final submission, but turns out there are lots of mistakes pointed out to me)

After some feedback-resubmit loops, I ended with this final submission

Here're are my current submissions for this month (metronome used on work-in-progress submissions; the ones without are what I intend for final submissions).

Because of the feedback loop, everybody in each class must play the same songs. Therefore, all classes start in September and end in May of next year. The recommended practice time for the D01 course material is 2hr/week. IMHO, if you plan to take this online class, it is a good idea to start practicing early (the wrost, or best, that can happen is you shoot past the intended level and join at a higher level).

This is really cool, thanks for sharing! I've been using a paid program that I really like, but when my year subscription is up I'll switch over to this! I like the idea of a program built around community feedback. I see people post videos asking for feedback on reddit or wherever and they'll either get a "that was beautiful, nice job" or maybe one or two sentences about something they could do to improve...or they get ignored entirely.

I wish there were something like this for ukulele.

The only thing I'd point out is that to actively participate in the class, your screen name must be your real name. (Or, I suppose, a name that looks "real", if you don't mind breaking the rules). You can download the learning materials with any screen name.

I thought I'd give an update.

I just submitted the last video for my D01 classical guitar class. The class ran from beginning of September (2021) to end of June, so 10 months. During the 10 months, we learned about 2-4 songs per month; and I (on average) put about 2hrs/week of practicing and recording time.

Near the end of the year, you are given the option to take an end-of-year exam where you get graded. I think this is an excellent way of validating my year's efforts and receive additional feedback on whether I'm ready to move on. One of the biggest drawbacks of self-teaching for me is knowing whether I've really passed a song or not; I find it hard to be totally objective when evaluating myself. So, the year-end exam is great at reassuring me that I'm ready for the next level or that I should repeat a year.

IMHO, the lesson materials chosen for the class are perfect. The mix of music each month is just the right amount of difficulty to keep me practicing and be able to hand something in; while not being boring easy or discouragingly difficult. I also love the music selection: a mix of folk and classical.

The D01 class taught me:
- classical guitar playing position for body and hands
- fretboard notes in position I to III
- multiple string damping techniques
- methods to produce a good tone

If you are thinking about diving into the world of guitars, I think you should definitely consider the D01 class. (It doesn't even have to be classical specifically because I've found that the techniques I learned in this basic class are very applicable to acoustic and electric guitars as well.) Or, if you have been playing for a while, take a look at the more advanced classes; the class difficult ranges from D01 (easiest) to D10 (hardest).

Please feel free to ask me questions (or create an account there and ask away). I'm very happy that I actually stuck with this class for a whole year, and I think I'll continue with D02 next year. Normally, I quit any online or self-teach methods/course/classes after 2-3 month.

Wow, September already!!!
Please, if you are interested, now is the time to join. (This is just a reminder.)

IMHO, this class is a great alternative to a pure self-teaching method.
Skill levels range from D01 - D10 (with D01 being absolute beginners).

The class format is iterative: you submit videos and get feedback, incorporate those feedbacks and resubmit new videos. You do this feedback-resubmit loop as many times as it takes; the time limit is 1 month. Next month, you get new pieces and the loop restarts.

For example:
I'm taking the D02 class, and below are my initial submissions for this month:

I've incorporated the feedback into my practice; and I'll be uploading new videos this weekend.
If I've addressed those deficiencies sufficiently, I might get feedback on tone/dynamics/rhythm (based on my past experience).

Just an update, after incorporating feedback. There's still work to be done: d'Avila needs correct fingering and less tension; Oh! needs some speed and tone work. (There're actually 4 pieces for this month, but 2 of them are exercises.) There's still time to sign up; I think the signup closes at the end of the month. Come join us! Good free online guitar lessons.

Top Bottom