Flight T-SUS Carabao Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't at all surprised about the score this one got. I bought the concert version immediately when I saw these listed on SUS and I haven't regretted it one bit. The Carabao is incredible value, in my opinion. It's more or less the same quality as Millar whose spruce or other softwood topped ukes go for closer to £500. The only thing I don't like is the pin bridge. You really have to squeeze the pin's in tight in order to stop them from popping out because the bridge doesn't have that notch for the strings that, e.g, Kanile'a ukes have. A shame really. I would've preferred the string through bridge Flight typically use, or even a tie bar bridge. The other less than ideal feature is the neck which is fine otherwise but the profile is quite typically rounded for a Chinese-made instrument. Not that it bothers me really but it might bother other people.

Quick note about the strings. I'm fairly certain these are actually strung with D'Addario Titaniums. The gauges are definitely thicker than fluorocarbons typically and they have that purple hue to them. I don't know why but the listings on SUS often get the strings wrong on many of the ukes they sell. Happens with many Millar models as well since they often use nylon strings or equivalent as well instead of fluorocarbons, but for some reason they're always listed as fluorocarbons on SUS. Flight often use Titaniums on their other models as well so I'm positive it's the same with this one. I restrung my Carabao with clear nylons and it immediately made the sound warmer. I think the Titaniums have a really bright twang to them upfront which sometimes can mask some of the warmth of a uke, so I definitely prefer regular nylon strings at least on this one.

Well, I wasn't at all surprised about the score this one got. I bought the concert version immediately when I saw these listed on SUS and I haven't regretted it one bit. The Carabao is incredible value, in my opinion. It's more or less the same quality as Millar whose spruce or other softwood topped ukes go for closer to £500. The only thing I don't like is the pin bridge. You really have to squeeze the pin's in tight in order to stop them from popping out because the bridge doesn't have that notch for the strings that, e.g, Kanile'a ukes have. A shame really. I would've preferred the string through bridge Flight typically use, or even a tie bar bridge. The other less than ideal feature is the neck which is fine otherwise but the profile is quite typically rounded for a Chinese-made instrument. Not that it bothers me really but it might bother other people.

Quick note about the strings. I'm fairly certain these are actually strung with D'Addario Titaniums. The gauges are definitely thicker than fluorocarbons typically and they have that purple hue to them. I don't know why but the listings on SUS often get the strings wrong on many of the ukes they sell. Happens with many Millar models as well since they often use nylon strings or equivalent as well instead of fluorocarbons, but for some reason they're always listed as fluorocarbons on SUS. Flight often use Titaniums on their other models as well so I'm positive it's the same with this one. I restrung my Carabao with clear nylons and it immediately made the sound warmer. I think the Titaniums have a really bright twang to them upfront which sometimes can mask some of the warmth of a uke, so I definitely prefer regular nylon strings at least on this one.
Thanks for that - agree with views and certainly pin bridges can be divisive - i've not needed to change them so not encountered that issue.

Re the strings - no purple hue at all on the review model strings - and certainly MUCH slacker than Titaniums - not sure whether they are using different sets on different ukes? These feel more like what I personally use (Seaguar fishing line) - in fact I'd wager that these ones are that.

Thanks for another review Baz. Glad your kid feels better. This ukulele would give me UAS real bad with a different style bridge, and a radiused fretboard. I expect these to fly off the shelves.

Over a pretty short period of time it seems that Fight has really established themselves as a major player on the uke scene

Over a pretty short period of time it seems that Fight has really established themselves as a major player on the uke scene
I think what it is with Flight is simple - they listen and adapt. When I saw the first Flight Uke years back it was... erm.. OK.. nothing more than that. Not terrible but not ground breaking either. Since then I have reviewed loads and genuinely think they get better and better each time.

That and the fact that Juliana and Primoz are two of the hardest working people I know in uke brands - they never stop travelling and working!!

I think they have left brands like Kala in the dust to be honest. And suspect in time they will start to do the same with other more expensive brands.. Pono should be looking over their shoulder!

So regarding the strings, I actually contacted Flight and asked them about the strings since they don't have these ukes listed on their website. They were kind enough to confirm my suspicion and said that the stock strings are D'Addario EJ87 which are indeed the Titaniums. Certainly seemed like that on my own Carabao.

So regarding the strings, I actually contacted Flight and asked them about the strings since they don't have these ukes listed on their website. They were kind enough to confirm my suspicion and said that the stock strings are D'Addario EJ87 which are indeed the Titaniums. Certainly seemed like that on my own Carabao.
Interesting - wonder if SUS changed them out - as on the one I have here i am certain they are not Titaniums

Interesting - wonder if SUS changed them out - as on the one I have here i am certain they are not Titaniums
Yeah, I obviously can't comment on the review model. I have to say that the strings look to me like Titaniums on the review photos, although admittedly the tint is more blue than purple. No idea why SUS would change the strings for the review model though.

To be honest, I don't know why I'm going on about this, other than the fact that I might be a bit too obsessed about strings... :D

This arrived today. Baz said everything in his review about this little beauty… I can just add that it’s just a magical little instrument, the setup is perfect and I’m literally in love with this Uke.

Get one before they sell out!

Attachments

• 07d24ea1-a62f-42ff-a5db-9fe85f5b1489.png
    07d24ea1-a62f-42ff-a5db-9fe85f5b1489.png
    535.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FC538718-B8E9-40D4-8888-88C10EB3B7CE.png
    FC538718-B8E9-40D4-8888-88C10EB3B7CE.png
    644 KB · Views: 7
  • 7D2519C4-EB47-4154-BF88-847B9B2AEDD8.png
    7D2519C4-EB47-4154-BF88-847B9B2AEDD8.png
    486 KB · Views: 7
  • D8BC7105-9C93-4F38-8B35-ECCA90D9E31C.png
    D8BC7105-9C93-4F38-8B35-ECCA90D9E31C.png
    592.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 7FE7729A-1705-4B0C-8DA1-49D0BFA49A49.png
    7FE7729A-1705-4B0C-8DA1-49D0BFA49A49.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 6
This arrived today. Baz said everything in his review about this little beauty… I can just add that it’s just a magical little instrument, the setup is perfect and I’m literally in love with this Uke.

They have soprano and baritone versions now as well which is nice.

Looks like Concerts are sold out .

Looks like Concerts are sold out .

There is one on their website… when I spoke to them they mentioned they were not adding them all at once so if you’re interested give them a call as there is likely stock :)

Top Bottom