Flea saddle

Ukecaster

Reaction score
My used Flea came with a replaced saddle, which is low, since the action at 12th is 1.75mm. I plan to raise it to 2.25-2.5mm, per MFC specs, meaning my saddle should be about 1mm taller. Just curious, if anyone has a Flea, and can measure, how much saddle do you have sticking up above the bridge? Don't get me wrong, it plays really nice and buzz free as-is, but seems to lack the volume I expected.

Lol the title of this gave me such a ridiculous visual - I mean, I know this is a uke forum, and I know what a saddle is, but I giggled nonetheless. But that's not helpful to the OP - I hope someone comes back with actually useful feedback!
Yeah, saddle up and ride them Fleas...yee haw! 😀

OK, I took out the stupid link...

Seriously, I'd let a sleeping Flea play.

<edit 12-Mar, 2023>
Perhaps my point was mistaken. If the instrument plays well, doesn't buzz, has acceptable intonation, and sounds good, why mess with it? I have literally ruined several ukes by trying to "improve" them or make them something they weren't when they were just fine (or as good as they could be) to begin with.

If you can buy a replacement saddle, then do it because that is non-destructive and reversible.

Last edited:
🤦‍♀️ I am so sorry that I derailed your post so horribly.

My used Flea came with a replaced saddle, which is low, since the action at 12th is 1.75mm. I plan to raise it to 2.25-2.5mm, per MFC specs, meaning my saddle should be about 1mm taller. Just curious, if anyone has a Flea, and can measure, how much saddle do you have sticking up above the bridge? Don't get me wrong, it plays really nice and buzz free as-is, but seems to lack the volume I expected.
Come on, peeps, help the OP out!! If I had useful input, I'd be throwing it in at this point, rather than uselessly and thoroughly tanking the thread.

🤦‍♀️ I am so sorry that I derailed your post so horribly.

Come on, peeps, help the OP out!! If I had useful input, I'd be throwing it in at this point, rather than uselessly and thoroughly tanking the thread.
It's ok. Some people just never measure up you your expectations! :)

Soprano or concert Flea? I can measure my soprano when I get home if that helps.

Edit: FWIW, my soprano Flea looks to have the Nubone saddle extend a bit over 2mm above the plastic bridge, giving maybe 2.75mm at the 12th fret. However, if our neck angles are a bit different, then that measurement won’t help you much. The straight grained maple neck is probably pretty stable, I don’t know if the assembly varies or not.

Last edited:
Soprano or concert Flea? I can measure my soprano when I get home if that helps.

Edit: FWIW, my soprano Flea looks to have the Nubone saddle extend a bit over 2mm above the plastic bridge, giving maybe 2.75mm at the 12th fret. However, if our neck angles are a bit different, then that measurement won’t help you much. The straight grained maple neck is probably pretty stable, I don’t know if the assembly varies or not.
Thanks for helping. The seller is sending the original Nubone saddle, which I expect will raise the action up to about the factory 2.5mm height. The only reason I'm doing this is to hopefully regain some volume, as the low saddle seems to have robbed some.

I got the stock Nubone saddle from the seller, which took the action up from 1.75mm to 2.5mm at the 12th fret, which is the factory spec. Works perfectly, and the volume increased as expected. My usual Flea strings, Martin M600, sound great on it. Will be interesting to see if the sound of the solid spruce top changes over time, which I've got.

Top Bottom