Fender Dhani Harrison Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Certainly a family connection to the uke with this one - does it stand up? I'm not so sure

Wha'st the reason for the 3/4 size depth body design ?
I noticed this also on the Kala KA - SSLNG .

Last edited:
Wha'st the reason for the 3/4 size depth body design ?
I noticed this also on the Kala KA - SSLNG .
Not sure there is a reason as such - just a design cue I think

Mahalo .
What would a "Got A Ukulele" Special Edition look like ?
And which company would you want to offer it ?

LOL. I think Baz's head is going to explode trying to come up with an answer to this. It breaks his central tenent of not accepting anything of value from a manufacturer.
I forgot about that .
But he does openly admit favorite makers .

I forgot about that .
But he does openly admit favorite makers .
I think it's fairly safe to say that whatever it is, it will have a wide nut and friction tuners (if smaller), and no etching on the soundboard or other bling.

I can't say that I've played a Fender acoustic Anything that I cared for, and I say that as a player of the One True Electric, the Fender Telecaster.

I can't make up my mind if the fretboard overhang is extremely thick or if it looks that way because of the white edging and possibly the thinner than usual body. If it really is as thick as it appears then it surely can't be doing the sound any favours.

In the promo video Dhani mentions it was sized for a comfortable fit and travel .

Last edited:
I've tried 2 or 3 Fender ukes in music stores and I was very underwhelmed. A member of our uke gatherings plays a Fender uke and I can't say I care for the sound of that one either. The Fender brand name has certainly earned its great reputation in music history and that reputation and name recognition is probably one of the Fender ukes biggest selling points but in my experience it isn't one their ukulele has lived up to. I've not tried the Dhani Harrison uke but I can't say I'm very impressed with the sound based on the video above of his playing it. I find it hard to believe that he found a Fender uke to stand up in comparison to some of the great ukes that must have been available to him that George was known to play. If I had to give a letter grade to my experience with Fender ukes I'd give it a C (satisfactory, but still not a sound I liked) or D (less than satisfactory). It's kind of like their ukes are in the game to play and not lose but they don't seem to be playing to win.

Last edited:
I noticed in a video of the ongoing Genesis Last Domino tour, Darryl Stuermer plays one of those new Fender A/E guitars on a few ”unplugged” songs. Then again, it‘s a guitar not a uke.

I noticed in a video of the ongoing Genesis Last Domino tour, Darryl Stuermer plays one of those new Fender A/E guitars on a few ”unplugged” songs. Then again, it‘s a guitar not a uke.
Fender and acoustic do not go well together. They've been the kiss of death to several good acoustic guitar brands they took over.

It would have been great had this uke had better sound. Perhaps a change of strings from the Aquilas would help it. Dhani does look so much like his father it's uncanny.

Last edited:
LOL. I think Baz's head is going to explode trying to come up with an answer to this. It breaks his central tenent of not accepting anything of value from a manufacturer.
Exactly that - i've had offers from brands - but it just couldn't work - would be impossible to review it!

I can't make up my mind if the fretboard overhang is extremely thick or if it looks that way because of the white edging and possibly the thinner than usual body. If it really is as thick as it appears then it surely can't be doing the sound any favours.
It is pretty thick for sure

Fender and acoustic do not go well together. They've been the kiss of death to several good acoustic guitar brands they took over.

It would have been great had this uke had better sound. Perhaps a change of strings from the Aquilas would help it. Dhani does look so much like his father it's uncanny.
I'm not ruling out the day Fender make a GREAT uke, but I just don't think it's happened yet. They could do it - I am sure - and if they made an electric solid body to challenge the Risa ukes I think they would wipe the floor with that market segment

I would sure like to see a photo of Dhani actually holding/playing one of these.

Top Bottom