Ebikes

Congrats! That should be a lot of fun once you get to riding season!

So did you test ride it? What convinced you to buy it now?

So did you test ride it? What convinced you to buy it now?
I did test ride it and I liked it. I am actually a terrible shopper and would rather be doing anything else other than shopping with maybe the exception of going to Harbor Freight Tools or a different hardware store. Then my wife said, "You should get it."

I should have looked for a week at different stores, but it isn't in my nature.

@rustydusty We took the wheel off to get it in the car. I will probably put it back on before riding it.

It was my wife’s idea to give each other ebike kits for Christmas a few years ago.
She tried one on a business trip and really enjoyed it…

My wife and I have two Rad power fat tire e bikes, she has an Expand 5 folding bike and I have a older Rover. These are simple, heavy hub drive moderately priced bikes that work very well for our use. We ride them around our Island on the roads and trails, and take them with us when we take our Sprinter van to the Baja in the winter and Vancouver Island for a few weeks in the summer. We choose Rad Power because they have a store in Seattle with good customer service and they have been around awhile now.

I have been waiting to take my e-bike on the trail until my wife got hers. We picked her bike up yesterday but we had snow here in Minneapolis and even though it has mostly melted, it was cold and wet yesterday. We'll get out soon.

There's also ebikes that are labeled as class 2 but are "unlockable" very easily making them effectively a class 3(28mph) ebike with a class 2 sticker. I frequently had my Lectric XP 1.0 running at 31 mph. I also rode exclusively in mountainous terrain. Couple pics: One with a Vescom hard case storage and saddlebags, and one with an Aosom cargo trailer hauling a full karaoke system, my Donner tenor uke, and my billiards cue stick. People often think they'll only want to go 18mph or so. You're gonna want more torque.
View attachment 149511
View attachment 149510
Wow!!!! Just wow!

E-biking in the rain.

So I started this thread in March of this year. Currently I am riding my e-bike to work 3 days a week. It is only a 7 mile round trip but now it is a fun 7 mile round trip.

I am curious about other e-bikers who have been caught in the rain. I know that my model of e-bike is not guaranteed to be happy in the rain, and so far I haven't been caught in a soaker. I am guessing that the company just covers their butts by saying: "don't ride in the rain".

What experiences have you all had with rain and your e-bike?

Googling "riding ebikes in the rain" comes up with one big NO-NO: do not submerge the battery nor the motor. Otherwise, it should be like riding any other bike in the rain. Obvious wipe down afterwards and perhaps lubricating as necessary is advised.

E-biking in the rain.

So I started this thread in March of this year. Currently I am riding my e-bike to work 3 days a week. It is only a 7 mile round trip but now it is a fun 7 mile round trip.

I am curious about other e-bikers who have been caught in the rain. I know that my model of e-bike is not guaranteed to be happy in the rain, and so far I haven't been caught in a soaker. I am guessing that the company just covers their butts by saying: "don't ride in the rain".

What experiences have you all had with rain and your e-bike?

Rain water has the ability to corrode electrical contacts, as well as any short circuit risks.
Some electric bike manufacturers will build/design their electrics to certain water resistant ratings, yet no one builds to resist submersion.
My guess is that your bikes electronics have been built, without any consideration for water resistance ratings, so the manufacturer will provide no guarantee.
I guess the long term risk for you riding in light rain will be a premature corrosion failure of the electrics.

Thanks for the responses.

In 2 weeks, weather permitting, my wife and I are going camping, strapping what will fit to the ebikes.
This is a 50 mile round trip. Google Maps says it is a 2 hour - 9 minute trip by regular bike. Pre-Covid, my wife and I did this trip on regular bikes in just under 9 hours.
(Taking a bow).

There was a "Smash Burger", flat tire, convenience store iced drinks, grocery store and naps that may have contributed to that record-breaking time.

Thanks for the responses.

In 2 weeks, weather permitting, my wife and I are going camping, strapping what will fit to the ebikes.
This is a 50 mile round trip. Google Maps says it is a 2 hour - 9 minute trip by regular bike. Pre-Covid, my wife and I did this trip on regular bikes in just under 9 hours.
(Taking a bow).

There was a "Smash Burger", flat tire, convenience store iced drinks, grocery store and naps that may have contributed to that record-breaking time.
Did you go on your camping trip? I’d love to know how it compared to the same trip on regular bikes. (I’ve been playing with the idea of getting an electric assist for my recumbent tricycle.)

I have a white Lectric (brand, not a typo haha) XP 3.0 extended range. It was a recent gift from my brother. I ride it to and from work every day. It goes 20 mph with default class 2 settings but can be switched to a higher class 3 (manual shows how to do it, and I’ve done it) to go 30 mph.

Did you go on your camping trip? I’d love to know how it compared to the same trip on regular bikes. (I’ve been playing with the idea of getting an electric assist for my recumbent tricycle.)
We did go on the camping trip. The trip was much easier on ebikes. After the trip we decided to buy plushier seats.

I hope we can do one more camping/ebike trip before the snow flies. We are driving to the Grand Canyon at the end of this month but no bikes involved. We will bring ukes however.

Electric assist for your recumbent sounds like a fun project. Have you researched kits that would work on your recumbent?

Last edited:
I have a white Lectric (brand, not a typo haha) XP 3.0 extended range. It was a recent gift from my brother. I ride it to and from work every day. It goes 20 mph with default class 2 settings but can be switched to a higher class 3 (manual shows how to do it, and I’ve done it) to go 30 mph.
We looked into Lectrics before deciding on Aventon. We chose Aventon because they are sold locally and we were a little concerned about ordering online.

I ride my bike to work a couple days a week. Fortunately for bike commuting, it has been dry in Minneapolis. Unfortunately for everything else, it has been dry in Minneapolis.

Last edited:
We looked into Lectrics before deciding on Aventon. We chose Aventon because they are sold locally and we were a little concerned about ordering online.
Cool. How are you liking it? I put about 5 miles a day on mine. I don’t really need it to get to work. I have actually been walking to work for over a year… I live so close that I sold my car and now we just use my wife’s car. But I’ve been riding the bike since I got it instead of walking, which is a lot of fun. Of course I have had to adjust my diet to counteract the daily miles I’m no longer walking, but I’ve survived so far. I will probably resume walking in the winter, when the snow and slush will make me not want to ride the bike.

On Thursday I am expecting to receive the passenger package I ordered for mine, which my kids are going to love I think.

Top Bottom