Ebikes

I work anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a week at a canning company. It's a 7 mile round trip and actually faster on bike than bus or car.

I'm sure your kids will enjoy the seats. My kids range between 23 and 44 but I do have a 4 year old granddaughter so maybe if I can get permission from my son and daughter-in-law we can take her on a day trip.

We did go on the camping trip. The trip was much easier on ebikes. After the trip we decided to buy plushier seats.

I hope we can do one more camping/ebike trip before the snow flies. We are driving to the Grand Canyon at the end of this month but no bikes involved. We will bring ukes however.

Electric assist for your recumbent sounds like a fun project. Have you researched kits that would work on your recumbent?
I talked about options at the trike dealer, and if I did decide to add it I think I’d go with a Bosch mid-drive. There is one made by Bosch that just pops right into place. I briefly had a Tern Vektron with a Bosch mid drive and I really liked the Bosch.

Electric is just impractical, too limited, hard to maintain. I've ridden large motorcycles in the past. Now that my needs are few and usually close, I've been debating a small 125cc motorcycle. Either a Honda Cub or Honda Trail. Both are about the same mechanical except the Trail can handle unpaved (or poorly paved) areas better. Honda has made the Cub since the Fifties, over 100 million of them. The most produced vehicle of all time. 110 mpg, 200 mile range, can do 70 mph. Either is just under 4 grand.

One kick, with available racks I might carry 4 bags of groceries. I'm used to a lot more in my car. Second, I might have to keep it outside under a cover. I've got an enclosed porch, but I'm not sure it would wiggle through the door!

1695189484124.png...1695189583706.png

We did go on the camping trip. The trip was much easier on ebikes. After the trip we decided to buy plushier seats.
Plusher bike saddles are a mixed blessing, and are actually better for short distance riding rather than long distance riding.
Its a classic catch 22. Harder saddles can be bruising yet softer saddles can be numbing.
Softer saddles feel better for new riders doing shorter distances as they prevent the bruising that a hard saddle can give you, yet as you ride longer and further, the soft saddles become numbing as you sink into them and cut off blood flow.
The more you ride, the more comfortable harder saddles get, yet you have to keep up the miles in the saddle, to keep feeling comfortable on a hard saddle.
Get off the bike for a while and hard saddles are bruising again.

Electric is just impractical, too limited, hard to maintain. I've ridden large motorcycles in the past. Now that my needs are few and usually close, I've been debating a small 125cc motorcycle. Either a Honda Cub or Honda Trail. Both are about the same mechanical except the Trail can handle unpaved (or poorly paved) areas better. Honda has made the Cub since the Fifties, over 100 million of them. The most produced vehicle of all time. 110 mpg, 200 mile range, can do 70 mph. Either is just under 4 grand.

One kick, with available racks I might carry 4 bags of groceries. I'm used to a lot more in my car. Second, I might have to keep it outside under a cover. I've got an enclosed porch, but I'm not sure it would wiggle through the door!

View attachment 158479...View attachment 158480
In college, and a bit of the end of high school, I drove a Geely 50CC gas powered scooter. It was a lot of fun.

E1AC65C4-2DC5-4E5D-AE52-74DE49E640A6.jpeg

Finding the right seat is important. I’m on third and hopefully final seat on mine as it is seeming to be comfortable.
After two back surgeries, I can’t sit anywhere long…ABF80221-4C6F-4266-9DF9-C50A78590BA7.jpeg

Also, while I am thinking about it, hand position is also very important. Finding the right height and wrist position goes a long way toward keeping you comfortable. I have never liked the “beach cruiser” style handlebars because the grip angle is swept to far back. I switched mine out for a style called “mini apes” and am much happier with them. (See pic in previous post.)

The “mini-ape” is a small high rise handlebar named after the tall “ape hangers” some folks install on their Harleys. I find these to be a good height for me as I like to sit up straight while riding, due to back issues. I also have a set of “mini-apes” on my Harley Sportster…3D1EBC0F-6132-4E7C-8A93-D7FBE486DCF7.jpeg

Plusher bike saddles are a mixed blessing, and are actually better for short distance riding rather than long distance riding.
Its a classic catch 22. Harder saddles can be bruising yet softer saddles can be numbing.
Softer saddles feel better for new riders doing shorter distances as they prevent the bruising that a hard saddle can give you, yet as you ride longer and further, the soft saddles become numbing as you sink into them and cut off blood flow.
The more you ride, the more comfortable harder saddles get, yet you have to keep up the miles in the saddle, to keep feeling comfortable on a hard saddle.
Get off the bike for a while and hard saddles are bruising again.
You have to wear the padded underpants.

You have to wear the padded underpants.
Cycling knicks with a chamois fitted certainly help.
I used to race bicycles in my youth, and I prefer hard saddles myself, yet after years now of starting and stopping cycling again for seasonal reasons, I've come to notice the difference when starting out again, and after having some miles on the bike.

There is no such thing as a perfect saddle that is comfortable for newcomers and experienced riders alike.

Saddles: Brooks B67, spring suspension power! I have B67 saddles on all my bikes, and was pleased with it on my Tern ebike as well. No padded shorts, I’ve never got on well with them even when I was a more aggressive rider.

(I look like the Wicked Witch of the West pedaling into Kansas, but my butt is happy!)

I bought my e-bike about a year ago. I did not expect to be able to ride my Aventon all winter here in Minnesota, but except for a few weeks this year the roads have been clear and I ride 2-3 days a week to work.

I have no regrets but I still have a desire to buy a kit and build one.

@rustydusty
Did you by any chance document the Voilamart kit builds with photos? I would appreciate any ideas you might want to share about the bike kit experience-photos, words of wisdom, videos...

Last edited:
Top Bottom