Early impression of Kala Ebony Fretless Ubass

Kimosabe

Reaction score
I opted for a Kala Ebony Fretless rather than the choice Timber Fluke. I am very happy with the Kala and here is why:

1. The sustain is incredible. It adds a whole new dimension to my ability to play. You can hold a half note maybe a whole note. I just couldn’t do that on my Hadean, which I loved but now consider a good entry level Ubass that one must eventually move on from as one’s playing improves.

2. The tone is very rich and deep. I really hear the E and the A strings much more than I did on the Hadean. The tone is also very clear.

3. I have relatively very good pitch and don’t find it hard to get the right intonation without frets. I was a little worried but it’s a breeze and a delight to not have frets. Easier on the fingers and above all absolutely no fret rattle and easy to slide and pull.

I am intrigued by Mimmo’s new strings but very happy with these Pahoehoe strings. I love the upright bass sound. I’m more of a jazz player than a rock player.

This Ubass goes for $429 from Sweetwater including shipping and it arrived in a couple days. Happy boy!

Last edited:
I guess it's time for me to try a fretless bass next time I'm at a music store that has one. Nice review.

It looks like the only way now to buy a Kala UBass is from one of the big online retailers.

Is there any particular reason to choose Sweetwater over one of the others, or direct from Kala? Do any of the retailers do any kind of quality control inspection or setup?

It looks like the only way now to buy a Kala UBass is from one of the big online retailers.

Is there any particular reason to choose Sweetwater over one of the others, or direct from Kala? Do any of the retailers do any kind of quality control inspection or setup?
I doubt it, but Sweetwater and Musiciansfriend have excellent customer service.

I doubt it, but Sweetwater and Musiciansfriend have excellent customer service.
Thanks! I'll check, but I'm assuming that return shipping charges to Sweetwater or MF would be on the customer. There is a guitar center within reasonable driving distance so they would be a free return option (as well as Amazon). With all the horror stories I have heard about defective ukes (and assuming that UBasses would be no different), I would think that either reliable pre-sale servicing or robust return policy would be desirable. So far I haven't heard of a dealer that does the former although Kala says that they do a thorough pre-sale inspection on the instruments that they sell directly.

Sweetwater does a fifty something point check of the Ubass. It came with a card in the box with each point checked off and it was signed by the person who had checked it.

Your original question was whether I had a reason for choosing Sweetwater rather than another. No, but I had ordered from Sweetwater before and had been happy with what I received and their service.

This time I chose SW because I saw the Ubass I wanted listed for some slightly lower price, forty bucks or so. I still can’t find the supposed imperfections. I’m very happy.

Last edited:
All of our band's sound equipment came from Sweetwater, the customer service is excellent.

Your original question was whether I had a reason for choosing Sweetwater rather than another. No, but I had ordered from Sweetwater before and had been happy with what I received and their service.

This time I chose SW because I saw the Ubass I wanted listed for some slightly lower price, forty bucks or so. I still can’t find the supposed imperfections. I’m very happy.
Great, you like the SW service and price. Thanks for clarifying!

Top Bottom