Dulcimer anyone?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
About a year ago between fall and spring semesters I decided to try something different from an 'ukulele so I picked up a couple new instruments - Dulcimers! They are not the traditional Mountain Dulcimers which I believe are played on your lap. I got one stick dulcimer aka strum-stick, and also a Seagull Merlin which is aka a strummable dulcimer. They are both made from solid wood (non-laminate) and made in the USA, and Canada. Very high quality, and surprisingly affordable especially for a solid wood handmade (not in China). The tuning is DAD for the three string stick dulcimer, and DADD for the 4 string Merlin, and the diatonic scale makes the learning curve very short. Every note sounds right. They are allot of fun if you ever desire to try something different. Aloha.

Attachments

• Stick Dulcimer.jpg
    Stick Dulcimer.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Seagull Merlin.jpg
    Seagull Merlin.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 23
Enjoy! No, these are not mountain (lap) (Appalachian) dulcimers, but they can be fun nevertheless. I've owned two versions of these stick dulcimers in the past. I've been playing the mountain dulcimer since 2007. Give one a try, you may be surprised. Warning: DAD (dulcimer acquisition disease) is real.

I got a Merlin dulcimer for Christmas, and although it's fun to play, it's rather limited. Chords are a real stretch for my arthritic old fingers due to the dulcimer fret placement. I like the sound, and the build but haven't plugged it in to an amp yet...20211228_175058.jpg

I have tried the Merlins by Seagull and have found them to be much more limited than an Appalachian lap dulcimer. I built my first dulcimer in the mid seventies and, knowing nothing about instrument making, I used wood from a hollow core mahogany door for the back and sides and three ply model railroad plywood for the top. I borrowed my dad's radial arm saw to make enough kerfs in the sides that they were bendable. I used this instrument for a couple of years and taught myself the basics on it. In 1980 I found a real dulcimer at a yard sale and bought it. I's not a high quality instrument, but I have played it on stage a number of times since I got it. I mostly use the old Jean Ritchie D A AA tuning.

Here are Maggie and me at the Cobourg Waterfront Festival in the early eighties.
Jim & Maggie at WFF dulcimer.jpg

This is my homemade dulcimer (Not quite symmetrical I'm afraid)
homemadedulcimer.jpg dulcimer.jpg
__________________________________________________________________________ This is the yard sale dulcimer.

Last edited:
I just bought a McNally Strumstick, it’s currently in the shop for repair. Got it pretty cheap, thought it was worth a go. I really love Irish songs and minor tuning in general so the ability to change to DAC tuning was important to me. It sounds fantastic with it. I’ve played my dad’s Merlin but there isn’t quite the amount of freedom that the strumstick gives. Harder to figure out how to hold, though.

Someday I hope to get my hands on a real dulcimer. My musical ability is from the side of the family that grew up in the Appalachians, so it’d be nice to imagine my ancestors singing and playing on their porch as I do mine.

Last edited:
Built dad one out of beautiful splayed maple…he plays it by not as much as I would like. I played it for a minute before giving it to him and loved how intuitive Melodies felt. Might have to build another.

A Merlin just arrived at my doorway yesterday. As a bit of background, until the end of January this year, I had never played an instrument. I now have a concert ukulele, a tenor ukulele, and now the stick dulcimer. I am hoping the learning curve on the Merlin is not quite as steep as the ukes have been. I am finding that I am not the most coordinated soul, so on the ukes maintaining tempo and smoothly changing chords has and is challenging. So far all of it has been fun. Wish me luck with the Merlin!

I have a lovely Blue Lion Mountain Dulcimer that's been waiting for years for me to get around to playing it. It's a bucket list item, and I will get to it one of these fine days. When I first got it, I played a tune or two. But, it deserves so much more!

I have a lovely Blue Lion Mountain Dulcimer that's been waiting for years for me to get around to playing it. It's a bucket list item, and I will get to it one of these fine days. When I first got it, I played a tune or two. But, it deserves so much more!
When I told my brother that I was teaching myself to play a ukulele and that a stick dulcimer was on its way to me, he told me he has a mountain dulcimer kit that I am welcome to build. So who knows, I might have one of those in my string herd as well:)

Up until January, my primary interests have been fiber related. I was always aware at how prolific looms can be I just did not realize that stringed instruments were as promiscuous🤣

I just stumbled on this randomly. I was looking at Tapestry Music's offerings of other folk instruments, saw the Seagull M4, wondered what that was all about, and here I am. These are great resources, thank you @Putter and @Ondrej (beautiful, as always). Ugh, I need another instrument to learn and practice like I need a hole in the head, but I am SO tempted!!

Yes I got sucked down the dulcimer rabbit-hole. First it was a Merlin, then my brother gave me a McNally strum stick and a kit to build a walnut mountain dulcimer. I built that and then just had to order an absolutely beautiful cherry mountain dulcimer from Ron Gibson that is just stunning and a gas to play. Plus I got to weave two more straps! LOL

I have found stringed instruments multiple as fast as weaving looms and that is a very scary thing for me!

Regarding dulcimers (not strumsticks, which are not dulcimers by definition), I've got 6 with another custom on the way, from Folkcraft Instruments. I hope those of you who are trying strumsticks, give dulcimers a shot. They are beautiful instruments, and have quite the following of players. Quite a few dulcimer festivals across the country too.

Regarding dulcimers (not strumsticks, which are not dulcimers by definition), I've got 6 with another custom on the way, from Folkcraft Instruments. I hope those of you who are trying strumsticks, give dulcimers a shot. They are beautiful instruments, and have quite the following of players. Quite a few dulcimer festivals across the country too.
I received the Ron Gibson dulcimer 2 days before I went to my first dulcimer festival a couple of weeks ago😀 I took a dulcimer workshop and another with the ukulele. It was the first time I ever played instruments with other people and in public - fun time! It was pretty much the first public outing for me since Covid hit as I care for my 91 yo mom and have to be careful where I go. I am really enjoying learning to play the mountain dulcimer, it has such a unique sound.

Ron Gibson all cherry and the strap I wove for it.

6D7F481B-4A8F-4FF9-A1CC-0A96C9251E54.jpeg

I received the Ron Gibson dulcimer 2 days before I went to my first dulcimer festival a couple of weeks ago😀 I took a dulcimer workshop and another with the ukulele. It was the first time I ever played instruments with other people and in public - fun time! It was pretty much the first public outing for me since Covid hit as I care for my 91 yo mom and have to be careful where I go. I am really enjoying learning to play the mountain dulcimer, it has such a unique sound.

Ron Gibson all cherry and the strap I wove for it.

View attachment 141330
Look at that stunning strap you wove! Wow! Would you make straps to sell? I bet you'd have a keen market here!!

Top Bottom