Dropped 24 bass ukes, added one.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
After culling my collection of 31 of bass ukes/mini bass guitars down to 7, I couldn't last too long without buying another bass uke, but I was prompted by RondoMusic.com putting their black Hofner 21" scale violin style on sale for $199.95 and only $17.50 shipping. I already have the sunburst version and decided to modify and paint the black one. Here is my mock up. My go to luthier Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA will do the mods, replacing the floating wood bridges with metal fully adjustable (if that can be done), and Pat Wilkins just a few blocks away do the painting.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 2 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Violin mods.jpg

Last edited:
So when and how the heck did you cull those basses, one or two of which I might have been interested in?

So when and how the heck did you cull those basses, one or two of which I might have been interested in?
I've had them posted in the Marketplace, on Craig's list, and on the Talk Bass Classified for a few weeks, but local pickup only. At first I shipped, but it was such a pain because I'm partly disabled, and expensive, I stopped doing that. They went fast, there's only one left.

Bass out all.jpg

After culling my collection of 31 of bass ukes/mini bass guitars down to 7, I couldn't last too long without buying another bass uke, but I was prompted by RondoMusic.com putting their black Hofner 21" scale violin style on sale for $199.95 and only $17.50 shipping. I already have the sunburst version and decided to modify and paint the black one. Here is my mock up. My go to luthier Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA will do the mods, replacing the floating wood bridges with metal fully adjustable (if that can be done), and Pat Wilkins just a few blocks away do the painting.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 2 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

View attachment 143139
I wanna know how you got 2 basses out of one. You could get rich doing that, if you copyright it.

I wanna know how you got 2 basses out of one. You could get rich doing that, if you copyright it.
I take it your tongue-in-cheek in your reply. But if you're serious, I'm having that black one modified to become the teal second image, and the sunburst is the one I already have, with the possibility of changing the bridge.

Sorry I missed you last time I was in LA... I'll be back the first week in October... if there is anything left!

Mike
I live in Oregon & want to try & learn bass uke, have one fo sale in oregon (relative visiting here) or suggestions

Mike
I live in Oregon & want to try & learn bass uke, have one fo sale in oregon (relative visiting here) or suggestions
Get an inexpensive Kala ubass with the electric pickup or go on line to Rondo music and get an inexpensive Hadean.

Buyna copy of the three volume Hal Leonard bass book and get cooking.

Then also just play by ear and see if you can play what you hear in your head.

Mike
Yep, a RondoMusic.com bass uke is well worth it, in my opinion just as good as the higher priced Kala U-Bass.

Top Bottom