DIY braided strap

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
Most straps are wider than necessary for ukes. This one can be quickly braided from paracord or any kind of rope using an open chain sinnet: https://www.animatedknots.com/chain-sinnet-knot. Feed the cord all the way through the last loop and cinch it to finish. Use 2 half hitches to attach both ends. You can sit on the extra rope at the bottom to lock the instrument in the exact position you want, so your arms are completely free to move.

D79F769E-CEF2-4100-A64E-B27A491DBC6A.jpeg

Well, that went over like a lead balloon. A different color might look better, but this is what I had on hand. Cowboys used to have black and white twisted rope straps. Maybe that would be a good color, or all black would just disappear.
It is very functional: lightweight, breathable, and cheap.

Don’t take it personal, there are some people who hear the words “ukulele strap” and they’re not sure whether to report your post or just breathe into a brown paper bag until it falls off the “What’s New” list.

Looks cool though, I was thinking a little about something like this the other night. I use a uke leash, and I like it a lot, but the one I have is black and I think it’s going to clash with the new, beautifully-adorned ukulele I expect to receive in the coming days. This kind of gives me an idea to try it with white. I was thinking maybe a leather string, like I’ve noticed Rich Tacoma seems to use with his sopranos in the photo, but the braid looks very nice. I am a little unsure though because I like how I don’t need to use strap buttons at all for my uke leash.

Most straps are wider than necessary for ukes. This one can be quickly braided from paracord or any kind of rope using an open chain sinnet: https://www.animatedknots.com/chain-sinnet-knot. Feed the cord all the way through the last loop and cinch it to finish. Use 2 half hitches to attach both ends. You can sit on the extra rope at the bottom to lock the instrument in the exact position you want, so your arms are completely free to move.

View attachment 143704
I think that's a cool-looking braid. Suppose it could also be done with a thin shoestring-like leather cord?

(PS: I'm not one the anti-strap faction or even a strap-apologizer. No shame should be attached--pardon the pun--to using a strap.)

Last edited:
Don’t fear the strap. There’s a long history of using them on classical guitars: They are an elegant way to hold the instrument in the ideal position without any effort. They allow your arms and hands to move freely.

I have used leather for braiding before. The trick is finding quality leather that is flexible and not stained with toxic chemicals. I got some cheap suede cord off Amazon that shed dark fibers.

If you have two colours, you can use this technique:

That might be too rounded for a uke strap? I'm not sure. But it's a really nice cord. My daughter learned it at school a few years ago, and she'll pick up paracord or yarn and make a length of this whenever she needs something as a stronger cord.

I’m just waiting for somebody to do the giant strap post, I like that.

JoeStrummer- Thanks for posting the image of your braided strap. I intentionally didn't respond at first b/c I expected all the strap-haters (more specifically neck joint strap BUTTON haters) to chime in. I completely agree that most straps are too wide/ gaudy for a uke. I'm just using non-braided brown bootlaces, fed under the strings on the tuner side of the nut just like yours, which removes the need for that much- maligned neck joint strap button. My lace- strap is boring but I prefer for the strap to attract no attention. Pardon me for changing the subject but in addition to most uke straps being too wide, it's my opinion that fret board dots on many otherwise- handsome custom ukes are too large in proportion to the width and length of the fingerboard. IMHO, the proper diameter for fret board dots is a max of 2mm, with 1.5mm being even better. Though it's widely known as a substandard brand, Donner's US $69.00 DUS-1 concert uke is spot-on as a visual example of such proportional details & satin/ matte finish.

JoeStrummer- Thanks for posting the image of your braided strap. I intentionally didn't respond at first b/c I expected all the strap-haters (more specifically neck joint strap BUTTON haters) to chime in. I completely agree that most straps are too wide/ gaudy for a uke. I'm just using non-braided brown bootlaces, fed under the strings on the tuner side of the nut just like yours, which removes the need for that much- maligned neck joint strap button. My lace- strap is boring but I prefer for the strap to attract no attention. Pardon me for changing the subject but in addition to most uke straps being too wide, it's my opinion that fret board dots on many otherwise- handsome custom ukes are too large in proportion to the width and length of the fingerboard. IMHO, the proper diameter for fret board dots is a max of 2mm, with 1.5mm being even better. Though it's widely known as a substandard brand, Donner's US $69.00 DUS-1 concert uke is spot-on as a visual example of such proportional details & satin/ matte finish.
I’m ok with buttons!!!! ;)

What length of cord is needed for something like that?
Mine are the longest laces I had in the house. I first tied a white cord under the strings north of the nut to get an idea of the necessary length, then added a foot for the necessary knotting & looping for the heel button. Best I remember they're narrow-gauge bootlaces, the same consistency as the ones used for the 1980's black infantry combat boots.

The idea of leaving one end long and sitting on it is a new one to me, but clever (if you always play sitting). Or you could fashion the long end to have an arm loop, as uke leashes often use. To make the strap length somewhat adjustable between the arm loop and the headstock, use a tight-cinching type of slip knot, with the sliding end leading to the headstock.

But I like straps or thongs that also support the body.
Leaving one end long and sitting on it is called The Uke Tail.

I‘m not sure, but definitely less than 25 feet.
and more than 5'. I use a length about 5-5.5' long for a strap sometimes (rarely)... with loops tied on each end, and just cat's paw (not a real cat's paw knot, but simpler...I think it's a cow hitch?) around the headstock and strap button. you could prob go even shorter with a noose on each end. yours is wider and prob a little more comfortable, although for my thin travel uke even the narrow cord is OK

and more than 5'. I use a length about 5-5.5' long for a strap sometimes (rarely)... with loops tied on each end, and just cat's paw (not a real cat's paw knot, but simpler...I think it's a cow hitch?) around the headstock and strap button. you could prob go even shorter with a noose on each end. yours is wider and prob a little more comfortable, although for my thin travel uke even the narrow cord is OK
Cow hitch. I agree. I actually started mine by tying a trucker's hitch well back from the end that would loop around the headstock but then realized that was silly since the string was supporting so little weight & there was no need for cinching down a tall load of something.:eek:

Well, that went over like a lead balloon. A different color might look better, but this is what I had on hand. Cowboys used to have black and white twisted rope straps. Maybe that would be a good color, or all black would just disappear.
It is very functional: lightweight, breathable, and cheap.
Functional, cheap, lightweight? Sounds like a supercharged balloon to me. Good job.

Top Bottom