Distressed finishes: getting out of hand?

I think it looks fine. I can name a bunch of ukuleles that are less palatable to my tastes than that.
Oh please do! I’m serious, I’d love to see ukuleles worse than that. I could use the laugh.

With regard to this particular blob of ugly, my thought when I saw it was, “Wow, I thought we were over zebrawood. But if they were going to resurrect that fad, they chose an appropriate finish.” Honestly, no offense intended to those of us who love zebrawood. You can go ahead and hate big-leaf maple and myrtle, we all have our opinions. 😉

Last edited:
That may be the point .
I think this release may be guerrilla marketing .

"Guerilla marketing is a way to drive publicity and, as a result, brand awareness by promoting using unconventional methods designed to evoke surprise, wonder, or shock." hubspot.com
I bet you’re right!!

I'm kinda surprised that Flight can call it a Relic, since Fender trademarked that name for distressed musical instruments long ago; they've been selling em for 20-25 years. Unless Fender owns Flight, or gets royalties from them.

Screenshot_20230315_220148_Google.jpg

I'd like to see what a talented luthier like Arron Keim of Beansprout Musical who's a master of the beauty of imperfection could do with a distressed design .

I'd like to see what a talented luthier like Arron Keim of Beansprout Musical who's a master of the beauty of imperfection could do with a distressed design .
AFAIK he uses salvaged and scrap wood so he's already partly there .

I'm kinda surprised that Flight can call it a Relic, since Fender trademarked that name for distressed musical instruments long ago; they've been selling em for 20-25 years. Unless Fender owns Flight, or gets royalties from them.

View attachment 149577
If they can do LP replicas, "tributes" or whatever without Gibson coming after them, they are prob ok.

My own ukulele looks distressed, but I did myself, with my own fingernails and skin oils, not on purpose, it just happens, by playing it.
This thing just looks fake.

Last edited:
WTF !

20200730_155446_2048x2048.jpg

20200730_155611_2048x2048.jpg

Reminds me of “distressed” jeans, with the fake rips and tears that have been artificially frayed about the edges. An insult to genuinely aged and long-loved jeans, which have earned their wounds.
Never understood this. I want my pants to keep my legs warm. Why would I want them full of holes? Defeats the purpose.

I would be interested to know if they actually sold any of those. I can’t imagine anyone thinking that that’s patina…

7781FF7B-174E-45E7-B96E-2D0273455CB2.jpegI have this baritone I got from Goodwill. It’s probably from the 50s out 60s and has legitimately led a hard life. There’s a lot of wear and chipping on the back edges especially, some belt buckle rash, and play wear to the finish under the sound hole (none of which seems to be showing up in the pics like it does in real life). It is nothing like the fake wear they’re putting on these ukes. I would never buy one. Buteven in high school I would never buy the pre-worn out jeans that were popular, and a lot of times their wear is different from legitimately worn out jeans. Because if it isn’t, you can’t tell the difference between someone who’s poor and doesn’t have money for new jeans, and someone who’s buying the cool distressed jeans (or that is my theory).

Attachments

• 0D0D6DEF-DFE7-4D39-AEFF-D63A4AE524C3.jpeg
    0D0D6DEF-DFE7-4D39-AEFF-D63A4AE524C3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • B81BF461-07E5-4E18-AE39-ACF968A8E59C.jpeg
    B81BF461-07E5-4E18-AE39-ACF968A8E59C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Anyone who plays a uke could figure out how to “patina” an instrument just by looking at how you hold it and play it. Lots of old instruments I’ve seen have “pick” wear under the sound hole (unless it’s got a pick guard) maybe where you rest your arm, dings around the body and corners of the headstock, maybe belt buckle scratches on the back…
Why you would want to buy a new instrument that looks “used and abused” is beyond me…

Top Bottom