Dinky side dots

UkeOkay

Reaction score
I’ve got this one ukulele that does not have fret markings — it only has quite small white side dots. Normally, this would be fine, except the wood isn’t very dark so they are quite hard to see in low light conditions. I’ve seen these stick on markers, some even glow in the dark, but I’m a bit wary. It is a particularly expensive uke, but I’d still not like to gunk it up. Have any of you tried these?

I’ve got this one ukulele that does not have fret markings — it only has quite small white side dots. Normally, this would be fine, except the wood isn’t very dark so they are quite hard to see in low light conditions. I’ve seen these stick on markers, some even glow in the dark, but I’m a bit wary. It is a particularly expensive uke, but I’d still not like to gunk it up. Have any of you tried these?
I have used some dots from Strings By Mail. They are a bit fiddly to put on but they stay on extremely well...... I have some that have lasted 3+ years with lots of play. They have 2 sizes to choose from.

I have used some dots from Strings By Mail. They are a bit fiddly to put on but they stay on extremely well...... I have some that have lasted 3+ years with lots of play. They have 2 sizes to choose from.
Seems like a good excuse to order more strings as well!

One of my ukuleles had very small fret dots, so I covered them with larger dots that I made by using a hole puncher and a piece of sticky-back paper with an iridescent finish. (Craft stores carry all sorts of stickers and other interesting options.) I stuck them on about four years ago, and have had no problem with them staying put, or harming the uke in any way.

Hi, UkeOkay -
I've attached side dots from two sources, both of whom advertise on Amazon. If you're looking to not "gunk it up", either of these will work. Neither is really permanent, and can be removed, since they're both DIY stick-ons.

1. Classical Guitar Fret Markers - Rosette Black/Ivory Fret Dots
These are kinda like decals, and applied similarly.

2. Inlay Sticker Fret Markers for Guitars & Bass - Custom Dots Set - Abalone Blue
These are true "stick-ons", and are applied as such.

I like the Rosette dots better myself, but either will work for less than ten bucks. Be prepared to possibly have to re-apply over time. Hope this helps.

Jerry

The famous Clrence White/Tony Rice Martin D-28 had a Gretsch fingerboard applied which had no dots. When Clarence appeared on the Andy Griffith show, someone decided that it just didn't look right with no dots, so they fastened paper stickers to the fingerboard for the show.
Clarence with stickers on Andy Griffith
C on A.jpg

Tony with stickers removed
Tony w martin.jpg

Last edited:
In the past, UU threads suggested "White-Out" correction fluid. I've used acrylic paint markers to make side dots. If you decide you don't like 'em, one of those minimally-abrasive blue pads removes them in seconds. I learned that by accident when using the same blue abrasive pad to "slick up / de-stick" the neck. I originally used white but went back with bright yellow since it was then obvious that they weren't permanent.

Yes, I know what you mean. Why go to the trouble of adding side dots but make them tiny or the same color as the wood? Some ukes have wraparound dots. Clever idea. I've inserted side dots into some fretboards. It's not that hard. Drill, glue, cut. I would never do that with an expensive uke, but they usually come double-dotted.

Actually, I don't use the dots. :oops:

For that application a blob of nail polish or paint would work...since the dots are already there the placement would be easy. May take practice to get the size right/consistent (I've used a cut toothpick as a stamper before). I've used stickers and found them too big, even the tiny ones.

Eventually you will learn to play without even looking at the fretboard. For example I can't memorize lyrics and music so my focus is either on the music stand or on the people around me. I remember when I learned guitar that I practiced chords and scales in completely dark rooms to train my ears and fingers. With a bit of practice you will probably get there too. Until then maybe just use some washable marker and paint dots on the side of frets that you tend to miss.

Top Bottom