Custom bass uke progress

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I thought I posted a mockup of a custom bass uke I'm having made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam, but I don't see it. He recently sent me a progress photo. It's a gypsy jazz style, 21.5" scale, thinline made of all solid curly walnut. It will have a tradition looking tailpiece. It cost $860 including express shipping. Hopefully I'll get it in a couple of months, but with the ongoing shipping problems and the coming Chinese New Year, who knows.

0030587E-0C91-4A17-8034-B7CE1385607A.jpeg

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If it’s shipped by air there should not be much delay. There are several container ships out in the SF bay right now. I think the dishwasher we ordered several months ago is on one of those.

That is a nice looking bass.

I thought I posted a mockup of a custom bass uke I'm having made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam, but I don't see it. He recently sent me a progress photo. It's a gypsy jazz style, 21.5" scale, thinline made of all solid curly walnut. It will have a tradition looking tailpiece. It cost $860 including express shipping. Hopefully I'll get it in a couple of months, but with the ongoing shipping problems and the coming Chinese New Year, who knows.

View attachment 137809

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
That is gorgeous. I have a Bruce Wei question. Does he have a return policy if unsatisfied with the intonation, etc?

Since this thread came back up, I actually received the bass very quickly. I brought it to my luthier, Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA to install tuning machines, pickup and preamp that I had on hand so didn't need them included by Bruce (the tuners in the photo were not included). Here's the finished photos Bruce sent me. As soon as Eric is done, I'll post more.

DSCF7762.jpg
DSCF7774.jpgDSCF7775.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't know, I've never had to return a custom instrument. Probably best to check with him, his email address is bruceweiguitar@yahoo.com.tw
I asked because I was awaiting my first uke from Mr Wei. Before it arrived I got nervous and went looking for the ‘return policy’ I vaguely remembered seeing in his ad. Anyway, I received the uke and it is beautiful. It is an archtop jazz uke. I can tell a difference in the sound in just two days of being in a humidified room. I am considering putting a pickup in it.

I asked because I was awaiting my first uke from Mr Wei. Before it arrived I got nervous and went looking for the ‘return policy’ I vaguely remembered seeing in his ad. Anyway, I received the uke and it is beautiful. It is an archtop jazz uke. I can tell a difference in the sound in just two days of being in a humidified room. I am considering putting a pickup in it.
Yes, please put up a photo.

I attached pics. The lighting doesn’t do it justice.
I had Bruce make me a bass uke with a similar look, but with swoosh sound holes. My luthier, Eric's Guitar, who I had install an under saddle pickup, preamp and Gotoh tuners I had, said Bruce did an excellent job.

BWA Archtop done both 1024.jpg

Last edited:
I had Bruce make me a bass uke with a similar look, but with swoosh sound holes. My luthier, Eric's Guitar, who I had install a pickup/preamp and Gotoh tuners I had, said Bruce did an excellent job.

View attachment 138817
Isn’t that gorgeous? I love mine. Can’t stop looking at it especially the inlay on the headstock. It is fabulous. Your U-Bass is a stunner. I plan to have a Luthier place a Journey Tek passive transducer pickup under the saddleboard. I am very impressed with Mr Wei’s workmanship and customer service.

Top Bottom