Under discussion Create a place to discuss strings (Was: String Theory)

A suggestion that needs more discussion to understand

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Should we have a new "Board" dedicated for string postings? Would it be handy to have a place for string researchers to post their findings so that we could find out what string set works for the ukulele we have or want to get?

Last edited:
Interesting concept. A F.A.Q. board could also contain other topics of interest to new users like woods, care and genre.
Found the F.A.Q. In the Uke Talk board. I think because of the very general nature of the F.A.Q. Things tend to get lost in there. Didn’t see a lot of recent posts there even though there’re string” threads.

Maybe a dedicated board would be easier to find and use.

I don't think that a string board is required as the bulk of string discussion is repetitive. As suggested earlier, sticky string FAQ with links to tension table and key existing threads would be most helpful. If new discussion arises then link to that can be added to FAQ.

I don't think that a string board is required as the bulk of string discussion is repetitive. As suggested earlier, sticky string FAQ with links to tension table and key existing threads would be most helpful. If new discussion arises then link to that can be added to FAQ.
Yes it's true that there are a lot of redundant string posts. But, why does that happen? Perhaps because finding string posts scattered all over F.A.Q. pages and the forum is inconvenient. So rather than spend a lot of time searching, we just ask our question or post our findings and opinions

A dedicated string board would provide everyone an easy to find place for all things about strings and thus help the weed out and prevent redundancy.

Of course that's just my opinion vmmv.

A forum just for strings seems a bit specific. Is there enough discussion of strings to warrant it? Maybe...but then, why not a forum for nuts, saddles and bridges, or perhaps a forum for tuning pegs, maybe a forum for refinishing your uke. The list could go on and on. I believe there is a place already for discussion of Strings, and that is in the Buying Tips Forum. Perhaps all threads on Strings could be moved there, but I think an advanced Search should give what is needed so long as the appropriate boxes are checked.

Yes it's true that there are a lot of redundant string posts. But, why does that happen? Perhaps because finding string posts scattered all over F.A.Q. pages and the forum is inconvenient. So rather than spend a lot of time searching, we just ask our question or post our findings and opinions
I think there's room for both approaches: it's important that good, current, applicable information is accessible, but it's also important that people (especially newbies) ask questions without fear of a negative response. And it's useful to have an active, vibrant, conversation driven forum: if strings are the hot topic, then a lot of threads on strings isn't bad.

We are looking into the possibility of clearing out and rebooting tags - as of right now, they're a completely useless mess. They could be an excellent tool, but right now, they're not. Tags could also improve everyone's experience, and then threads can lie wherever the OP sees fit (although I do recognize that's another can of worms).

Yeah, by FAQ, we (the mods) will make some site-specific (i.e. how the heck do I do x?) type FAQs, but I do like the idea of user-curated "here are things we think are important for people interested in ukuleles" list. We'll keep this conversation going - it'll be really interesting to see what works out!

I would like a String Forum. I dislike F.A.Q., because as kkimura said it's too general.

I would participate in this conversation. I've done an immense amount of experimenting with every string under the sun, and have some info to share, but i'm also always curious to hear what's working for others and why. Cheers ~

I would suggest that the reason much of the string info is repetitive and in many cases of little value has to do with the fact that most folks have not spent well over a thousand dollars researching strings over the last 5 years like I have :) A comment such as I like Worth Browns has little value to me, unless they've compared 5-10 different string sets on a single uke and documented the differences. Most folks have very little experience buying single strings. As an example I've tried at least 6 different gauges of nylon and 6 different gauges of fluorocarbon on each string of the primary ukuleles I use to teach and perform with. I haven't bought sets of strings for years. Instead I buy single strings based on my research and my taste in tone and preferred tension. Perhaps very few have any interest in this level of research. But I would love to compare notes with others who have not settled for buying prepackaged string sets.

I would like a string forum. Strings are essential for all players, and they have a significant effect on sound and playability. I have more than fifty years of experience playing fretted instruments, including a degree in music, and post graduate training on classical guitar and lute. None of that has prepared me to pick strings for my various ukuleles. I no clue of where or why to start. Learning from experienced people, such as Mezcalero and Wiggy, would be of great benefit to me.

Wow, negative 3 votes. Lowest of all the suggestions so far!

Beats searching all over UU to find the info.
Contrarily: it adds another place to search.

Unless we moderate heavily, people are likely to continue posting strings questions in Uke Talk, Buying Tips, and Tech Support. There are currently strings threads on the front page of all three of those boards.

Historically, we've been very light-handed on moderating which board people post in. Changing that would be a culture change as well as more work. Several of our most prolific thread starters use Uke Talk almost exclusively, sometimes even posting new threads there while an existing conversation on the same topic is going on in another board.

For those who want to discuss strings, please do! It doesn't require a new board to start a new thread or to continue an existing one.

We do need to improve general discoverability, and we have multiple ideas on the backlog to do so (tags, improved search), but adding new boards probably isn't the right solution for this.

Plus one vote for a dedicated string forum. ☝️

The search functions aren't great and I'm pretty deep in the pudding when it comes to strings, so this idea is right up my alley (to mix metaphors).

A forum just for strings seems a bit specific. Is there enough discussion of strings to warrant it? Maybe...but then, why not a forum for nuts, saddles and bridges, or perhaps a forum for tuning pegs, maybe a forum for refinishing your uke. The list could go on and on. I believe there is a place already for discussion of Strings, and that is in the Buying Tips Forum. Perhaps all threads on Strings could be moved there, but I think an advanced Search should give what is needed so long as the appropriate boxes are checked.
Support for a "String forum" lies in the answer to your questions. There is enough discussion of strings to warrant it. There is not enough to warrant them for nuts, saddles, bridges or tuning pegs.

So I support a separate forum. Maybe Mike $ does too.

Found the F.A.Q. In the Uke Talk board. I think because of the very general nature of the F.A.Q. Things tend to get lost in there. Didn’t see a lot of recent posts there even though there’re string” threads.

Maybe a dedicated board would be easier to find and use.
That's a very old and out of date post. An updated FAQ board is on the planning list but hasn't been started yet.

Improving discoverability is what this is all about. What do we see when we login to UU? The first three major headings are the UU site stuff, UU VIP, then the UU forums.
It’s in the forum area we find most of board headers we use. Having one for “string theory” would raise string discoverability ten fold.
While we’re at it, why not put the UU forums at the head of the list ahead of the VIP and Site headers?
Doing so will help everyone find string posts.

Last edited:
Improving discoverability is what this is all about. What do we see when we login to UU? The first three major headings are the UU site stuff, UU VIP, then the UU forums.
@TimWilson is working on a new home page. That's a different discussion.

Having one for “string theory” would raise string discoverability ten fold.
Only if it is consistently used. Few of the current special-purpose boards are used consistently.

Only if it is consistently used. Few of the current special-purpose boards are used consistently.
Really? I just looked and the only Ukulele Boards that are not being posted to within the last 2 days are Tabs & Chords and Gigs and Shows.

The Music and General Boards have a lot of unused headings but we're not talking about non ukulele stuff are we?

Top Bottom