Closed chords charts? Gypsy jazz and Western Swing?

malarz

Reaction score
Just received a tenor ukulele and have a few questions: I want to learn closed chords, i.e. no open strings. Any links to learning tutorials or chart sites? Are there any moveable chord shapes for standard ukulele tuning? Any links to either gypsy jazz or Texas/Western Swing ukulele rhythm players?

Thanks for any help.

Hi. I have never had a cell phone so I don't know anything about apps or sites. But Brad Bordessa published a book devoted to left hand technique which sets out movable shapes for every chord quality. It is a good resource for all movable chords with roots on each of the 4 strings.

The best way I've found to discover and use movable shapes is to derive them yourself from a handful of template shapes (specifically, the four main movable dominant 7th shapes). This is a system I worked out for myself from trying to make more manageable heads or tails out of a few diagrams (that lacked much explanation) in the book Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps. Sadly, I haven't seen any other teachers focus on the 7th shapes rather than the triads—an artifact, I believe, of most teachers having come from the guitar world. But I know first-hand that, except in a relatively small handful of cases, starting with the 7ths is more consistent and simpler than starting with triad shapes. After all, the guitar chord naming system is really based around deviations from and extensions to the dominant 7th chord type.

If you want me to show you this shape derivation system, I'd be happy to videochat with you. If interested, start a private "conversation" with me and we can set up a session.

Oh, and please call them "movable chords" rather than "closed chords", which technically are chords with a narrow pitch span (relatively speaking), a different concept, and one used throughout the musical world. Similarly, what you may have been told are "open chords" are more properly termed "open position chords" (and here's the source of the confusion). Alternatively, I call them "fixed chords," which contrasts nicely with "movable", is snappier, and avoids conflict with "open" and "closed" in their more universal senses.
Thanks for both posts. PM sent to ubulele.

Hi. I have never had a cell phone so I don't know anything about apps or sites. But Brad Bordessa published a book devoted to left hand technique which sets out movable shapes for every chord quality. It is a good resource for all movable chords with roots on each of the 4 strings.
Holy cow ripock - is it possible we are somehow distant relatives with some common DNA ? - I too have never had a cell phone.

I have always wondered if there is somebody else out there like me.

Just received a tenor ukulele and have a few questions: I want to learn closed chords, i.e. no open strings. Any links to learning tutorials or chart sites? Are there any moveable chord shapes for standard ukulele tuning? Any links to either gypsy jazz or Texas/Western Swing ukulele rhythm players?

Thanks for any help.
Hello Malarz,

Stu Fuchs has a Gypsy Jazz class on his Ukulele Zen website (Go to his Store and then select ukulele mini courses). Stu focuses upon the music of the Gypsy Jazz great, Django Reinhardt. I loved the class and learned appropriate riffs, chords, and rhythm techniques. Back up tracks are included. Be forewarned that it doesn't focus on closed chords, but aside from that it was an excellent deep dive.

There is probably an introductory video on Stu's Ukulele Zen YouTube channel if you search for Ukulele Zen and Gypsy Jazz.

Bluesy.

Hello Malarz,

Stu Fuchs has a Gypsy Jazz class on his Ukulele Zen website (Go to his Store and then select ukulele mini courses). Stu focuses upon the music of the Gypsy Jazz great, Django Reinhardt. I loved the class and learned appropriate riffs, chords, and rhythm techniques. Back up tracks are included. Be forewarned that it doesn't focus on closed chords, but aside from that it was an excellent deep dive.

There is probably an introductory video on Stu's Ukulele Zen YouTube channel if you search for Ukulele Zen and Gypsy Jazz.

Bluesy.
Bluesy,

Thanks for that recommendation.

I think you’re looking for something like the CAGED system on the guitar.

For me on the Ukulele I use CAFED as I find the G awkward.

Basically barring any of those 5 shapes make them moveable. Here is a tutorial.

He also has a course about this too now, or will soon. I received an email about it recently.

Brad Bordessa's book "Ukuklele Chord Shapes" is worth buying. You'll find some sites (and other books) discussing this, but if you want a great review and reference this is it. It's a thin book, but on a usefulness/price ratio I give it very high marks.

Jim Yates and ubulele do a good job of explaining it, but if you're just starting out, it might be hard to follow without more visualization and some other information that the book gives.

Holy cow ripock - is it possible we are somehow distant relatives with some common DNA ? - I too have never had a cell phone.

I have always wondered if there is somebody else out there like me.

Looks like there are at least three of us, as I don’t own a cell phone either.

Top Bottom