Cliff Edwards ukulele tuning - the definitive answer!

Wonderful hint you brought up here.
I did not know that Cliff Edwards used that tuning/stringing bit now it seems clear when listening to some of his recordings.
I use that tuning as well for some tunes/songs. I was inspired by Daniel Ward when he demonstrated a g-c-e-low a tuning to mix it with low g.

I use a Brüko (longneck) soprano for that tuning and try to feature it for a song in my live Sets.

Here it is the second Song using that tuning live for a german (rearranged Version) of "Home"...

I like how you get the Illusion of a low tuned ukulele without being lower than low g strung.
And also campanella approaches work quite nicely.

I did not know that Cliff Edwards used that tuning/stringing bit now it seems clear when listening to some of his recordings.
I use that tuning as well for some tunes/songs. I was inspired by Daniel Ward when he demonstrated a g-c-e-low a tuning to mix it with low g.

I use a Brüko (longneck) soprano for that tuning and try to feature it for a song in my live Sets.

Here it is the second Song using that tuning live for a german (rearranged Version) of "Home"...

I like how you get the Illusion of a low tuned ukulele without being lower than low g strung.
And also campanella approaches work quite nicely.

Nice. What strings did you use? From what company?

Hello th

Nice. What strings did you use? From what company?
Hello there,

I use a low g string for the low a as well.
Mostly Aquila low g (wound) Tenor strings or D'addario D string (classical guitar) or similar.
I prefer wound strings for lower string pitches.

Best regards
Jan

Hello th
Hello there,

Mostly Aquila low g (wound) Tenor strings or D'addario D string (classical guitar) or similar.

Best regards
Jan
Thank you for answer. I haven't tried the wound strings yet. So far I've only tried the no-wound strings ones, but I've been satisfied. (See my videos in this thread.)​
Ondrej​

Hello th
Hello there,

Best regards
Jan
How does the low A tuning affect playing songs you would normally play on linear low G given that A is used for melody?

How does the low A tuning affect playing songs you would normally play on linear low G given that A is used for melody?
Hello and thank you for reaching out. It is an interesting issue I think.
While both, a and g are one octave lower I also can play campanella style and the meoldy(ies) sound just "lower". On the other hand when focussing playing melodies on a and e string there is always an octave jump when playing "normally" but that is okay I think.
Here is a clip to get an impression:

(riffing some of my original ukulele tunes here to demo the low g low a tuning)

Comparison for the 1st piece "Fiddle Uke tune":

An other demo of the low g low a tuning in a swing jam:

I hope that helps a bit. In the end I encourage yout o experiment on your own. Who knows what you find out and what you come up with then.
Have fun
Jan

Hello and thank you for reaching out. It is an interesting issue I think.
While both, a and g are one octave lower I also can play campanella style and the meoldy(ies) sound just "lower". On the other hand when focussing playing melodies on a and e string there is always an octave jump when playing "normally" but that is okay I think.
Here is a clip to get an impression:

(riffing some of my original ukulele tunes here to demo the low g low a tuning)

Comparison for the 1st piece "Fiddle Uke tune":

An other demo of the low g low a tuning in a swing jam:

I hope that helps a bit. In the end I encourage yout o experiment on your own. Who knows what you find out and what you come up with then.
Have fun
Jan

Thanks for sharing Jan. Certainly mellows out the tune. I can see how low G low A returns a low G uke closer to re-entrant in the way that G and A are closer in pitch again for campenella.

And there is also the possibility that you play the melody on the E string. And you play the accompaniment on the A string (and the other strings).

And the campanella style is good too. It can shift to low strings.

Top Bottom