Can't Buy OEM Saddles - Why?

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Why is it so hard (or impossible) to buy OEM replacement saddles from the manufacturer? Spare or replacement nuts, tuners, and saddles are a common need. Yet for nuts and saddles, all I can find are generic or plain stock which never seem to fit correctly. My cutting, squaring, creating a bevel, rounding-off, and sanding "to remove material then make it straight or flat" skills are very limited.

As examples, major manufacturers such as Kala and Ohana never show replacement parts on their websites. Aaarrrgh!

(I feel better, now.)

Last edited:
FYI for future reference, measurements with digital calipers:
Graphtech Nubone XB 9537-00 saddle from a Kala uke
53.27 mm long x 6.91-6.96 mm tall x 2.80-2.85 mm wide

$2 chinese ebay saddle, "high quality buffalo bone" (comes with a nut)
52.88 mm long x 6.97-7.08 mm tall x 2.91-2.95 mm wide

The nuts are similarly close, but the cheapo is noticeably wider (longer nut width, across the fretboard) and has a flat spot on the fret side instead of a more elegant complete arc (all of which can be fixed/sanded).

Ohana saddles and nuts are thinner (not as wide), and I've never replaced any/either.

I don't think that nuts or saddles are "common need" for masses of players. More for tinkerers or serious repair or build people. And those more often than not prefer to cut their own from blanks to reflect the specific need of repair or build.

Interesting that Kala includes spare saddle. That makes me wonder if there are many people who lowered action too much and then want to go back to factory set up.

Why is it so hard (or impossible) to buy OEM replacement saddles from the manufacturer? Spare or replacement nuts, tuners, and saddles are a common need. Yet for nuts and saddles, all I can find are generic or plain stock which never seem to fit correctly. My cutting, squaring, creating a bevel, rounding-off, and sanding "to remove material then make it straight or flat" skills are very limited.

As examples, major manufacturers such as Kala and Ohana never show replacement parts on their websites. Aaarrrgh!

(I feel better, now.)
I've not had any problems getting OEM nuts or saddles from either Kala or Ohana (your examples). Similarly I've receive OEM nuts from KoAloha and Kanile'a (to accommodate re-cutting for low G and some open string buzzing issues), and a saddle replacement for a Romero compensated that I received that was etched/grooved. FWIW, although those items weren't listed on their respective websites, I simply called the number on the website, or sent an email to the "contact us" resource. Sometimes "just asking" is better than mucking about, trying to find things online.

FWIW, only Kanile'a and Kala charged for the part (plus shipping). KoAloha even sent three of each free of charge.

Lastly, a quick phone call to GraphTech to tell them the make/model/etc. of your uke and they will match it to their stock.... that's their business.

FWIW, although those items weren't listed on their respective websites, I simply called the number on the website, or sent an email to the "contact us" resource. Sometimes "just asking" is better than mucking about, trying to find things online.

FWIW, only Kanile'a and Kala charged for the part (plus shipping). KoAloha even sent three of each free of charge.

Lastly, a quick phone call to GraphTech to tell them the make/model/etc. of your uke and they will match it to their stock.... that's their business.
You're right, I have been doing too much "mucking about" :) to do the obvious.

Thanks!

You're right, I have been doing too much "mucking about" :) to do the obvious.

Thanks!
I have recently run into Graph Tech being out of stock on the saddles or nuts I was needing. I fell back to Chinese bone nuts and saddles. They needed very minimal fitting to fit my applications. And they were a 1/4 of the cost.
I was replacing plastic saddles and nuts on a couple of ukuleles. I was pleased with the results. They seemed clearer, louder and had better sustain.

... bone nuts and saddles. .
I have a few pieces to try making a saddle with.

I acquired a small surface plate and block. Those should help me with sanding right angles and flatness. It even came with a gage so I can check my progress when sanding the overall thickness of stock along its whole length.

Attachments

• Surface Plat+Block.JPG
    Surface Plat+Block.JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 6
  • SP Gage.JPG
    SP Gage.JPG
    728.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Top Bottom