Best Guitar for kids

Taylor GS Mini and Martin 000JR-10 would be the two I’d look at in the $500 ish range.

Less expensive ($230 or so), Yamaha FS800 - Kraftmusic used to sell these in a bundle with a case and some accessories.

If younger/smaller, I'd also recommend the Little Martin LX 3/4 series. Taylor makes a Baby 3/4, too. I like the mahogany.

Last edited:
You haven't mentioned her age, which could imply her size. There's an abundance of nice 3/4 to 7/8 size acoustic and electric guitars available from many companies. Take her to Guitar Center to try some on to zone in on what's comfortable for her.

Unless she already plays, I would go for a tenor guitar or a baritone ukulele. The learning curve is not as steep. Its important to get the first three chords down right away or else the student will lose interest.

When I was about 8 or 9 I got a "Hondo" guitar for Christmas. Neck like a baseball bat and action probably high enough to play with a slide.

I think that piece of junk kept me from wanting to learn for a least ten years!!

I also agree that a "tenor" guitar would be a good choice. Tuned DGBE would be a great start for learning 6 string guitar chords...

What about the loog?

Knowing her age and how much you want to spend would help with us giving appropriate suggestions.

I’d probably just give them a cap and let them pick something that doesn’t have a Floyd Rose trem on it. Students are going to want to play a guitar they picked more than a guitar picked for them.

I’d also recommend an electric guitar. They’re easier to play with lighter strings and less pressure required and there is zero point in making it more difficult to learn.

If you’re looking for a specific recommendation, I’m a big fan of the LTD M-50. It’s a barebones guitar that’s built like a tank, with a thin neck and low action to make learning guitar easier. It’s got everything a new player needs and nothing that will trip them up. It’s also very affordable without looking cheap.

Cordoba has some good small and kid-sized guitars.

Their website even lets you filter on "Good for Kids":

I'm planning to buy a Guitar for younger daughter. please suggest me best middle range guitar.

1. What music does she want to play? (Or ... What performer does she want to emulate?)

2. What is her height?

3. Define "middle range".

"It is difficult to answer, when one does not understand the question." - Ambassador Sarek

Top Bottom