Bass Setup

UkeOkay

Reaction score
I changed out the strings on my Kala SUB UBass - I put a set of Gali flatwounds. They are nice, but the set up, especially at the nut needs some work as the string height is very high at the first fret.

Is there a guide for this? I don't want to just keep sanding away at the nut. Having a target height to aim for would be useful, but I've not seen any recommendations.

Are you widening the slot, or cutting it deeper?

If it's not wide enough the string cannot settle in the bottom of the nut slot. Look from the angle in the second picture to see if each string is at the bottom.

If you are cutting deeper, do this for all 4 strings:

Hold string down between the 2nd and 3rd frets. Then, with another finger, press the string down right over the 1st fret. You should see or feel at least a very tiny gap between the string and the top of the fret. It can be very small*, but it must be there. If there is no gap, you may have cut the nut slot too deep which might result in open string fret buzz.

*about the thickness of common printer paper (.004").

<edit> Google: "adjust nut on bass guitar"
How high should the nut be on a bass guitar? The nut height on a bass guitar should be set at 0.0030″ to 0.0045″, or 0.076mm to 0.11mm. This height is found by fretting your strings at the third fret and measuring the distance from the top of the first fret to the bottom of the strings.

Attachments

• SAM_0707.JPG
    SAM_0707.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_0709.JPG
    SAM_0709.JPG
    709.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I’m hoping to not need to adjust the slots. I bought a new nut from Kala to fit the metal stings, as the diameter is less than the stock strings. I was hoping to just be able to sand the bottom of the nut.

I’m hoping to not need to adjust the slots. I bought a new nut from Kala to fit the metal stings, as the diameter is less than the stock strings. I was hoping to just be able to sand the bottom of the nut.
That would work, but take off a little at a time until it feels comfortable for you.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 3 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom