Baritone ukulele strings

ElvishParsley

Reaction score
My baritone still has the strings from the shop, and the two wound strings are getting a mite rusty after 4 years. I bought a replacement set of baritone strings, but they sounded awful - really thin and weedy tone. They were also visibly thinner than the originals, despite being supposedly for the same (low) D G B E tuning. So I put the rusty strings back on. I have no idea what their specifications are. To get replacement strings that work as well as the originals on this instrument, what should I be looking for / asking for? Don't want to waste too much more cash on unusable strings.

My baritone still has the strings from the shop, and the two wound strings are getting a mite rusty after 4 years. I bought a replacement set of baritone strings, but they sounded awful - really thin and weedy tone. They were also visibly thinner than the originals, despite being supposedly for the same (low) D G B E tuning. So I put the rusty strings back on. I have no idea what their specifications are. To get replacement strings that work as well as the originals on this instrument, what should I be looking for / asking for? Don't want to waste too much more cash on unusable strings.
Email the company and ask what strings they use? Sounds like anything else might be a disappointment.

For what you are describing, I'd recommend trying #5, D’Addario EJ65B.
This set has wound nylon bass strings, just like your original.

D'Addario Titanium EJ87B (the unwound strings have this purple hue)

My baritone came strung with D'Addario Titanium strings, and I wasn't very happy with the wound strings. However, the strings have grown on me in the three years I've bought my baritone. I replaced the strings earlier this spring, and I've already bought another replacement set, just in case...

Matt from World of Ukes in Carlisle posted a YouTube video comparing Worth Browns (which I really like on my tenors) and D'Addario Titanium on their housebrand baritone:

Many of us baritone players using two wound strings go with Thomastic-Infeld CF35(D), CF30(G),Savarez Alliance KF542R(B) and Savarez Alliance 541R for (E).
These are guitar strings made for a longer scale so we use the the next lower string for better tension.

Uke Logic has a nice set with wound D,G. I use either the T/I set above or substitute the T/I 3&4 with wound Fremont soloist strings.

Not a baritone guy - but I find you baritone guys really know your strings - I am impressed with your knowledge and adaption of various strings. (y)

I use Worth Brown, and a feature that I started noticing is that they are friendly on your fingers, when compared to wound strings.
They are more expensive, but you get twice the length. On the tenors etc. I like Aquila

Many of us baritone players using two wound strings go with Thomastic-Infeld CF35(D), CF30(G),Savarez Alliance KF542R(B) and Savarez Alliance 541R for (E).
These are guitar strings made for a longer scale so we use the the next lower string for better tension.
Cocobolo ships their baritones with these strings except they use Savarez high tension instead of normal tension trebles (542J and 541J instead of R). Great strings but I prefer a thicker gauge myself. The Thomastik-Infeld flat wound strings are brilliant and I've kept using those.

It would be great to know which strings were on the OP's uke originally or at least which set was used to replace the originals. It's hard to tell just by the wound strings but if the unwound strings were also noticeably thinner then they are probably fluorocarbon which means that you should probably try nylon strings. You can easily get loads of different single strings for the trebles. For example, you can pretty much use any unwound .028 gauge nylon string for the 4th string and .032 or .034 gauge string for the 3rd string, which ever you can find. Or you could just try a nylon set if you don't care what kind of wound strings you have. D'Addario, e.g., has a bunch of nice sets. The clear and black nylon sets are both very good, as are the Titaniums.

Cocobolo ships their baritones with these strings except they use Savarez high tension instead of normal tension trebles (542J and 541J instead of R). Great strings but I prefer a thicker gauge myself. The Thomastik-Infeld flat wound strings are brilliant and I've kept using those.

It would be great to know which strings were on the OP's uke originally or at least which set was used to replace the originals. It's hard to tell just by the wound strings but if the unwound strings were also noticeably thinner then they are probably fluorocarbon which means that you should probably try nylon strings. You can easily get loads of different single strings for the trebles. For example, you can pretty much use any unwound .028 gauge nylon string for the 4th string and .032 or .034 gauge string for the 3rd string, which ever you can find. Or you could just try a nylon set if you don't care what kind of wound strings you have. D'Addario, e.g., has a bunch of nice sets. The clear and black nylon sets are both very good, as are the Titaniums.
I've found the package for the sad strings - D'Addario Nyltech EJ88B. I have no idea how they differ from the EJ65B set....

I've found the package for the sad strings - D'Addario Nyltech EJ88B. I have no idea how they differ from the EJ65B set....
The EJ65B have nylon strings for B&E in the set. The package you have EJ88B Nyltech are a very different material. The B&E are made from a proprietary material, usually white in color. Best best is to buy that exact set as you like them already. BE MINDFUL, new strings stretch a lot as they settle in and stabilize. Usually about 3-5 hours playing time until they really hold tune and sound good

The EJ65B have nylon strings for B&E in the set. The package you have EJ88B Nyltech are a very different material. The B&E are made from a proprietary material, usually white in color. Best best is to buy that exact set as you like them already. BE MINDFUL, new strings stretch a lot as they settle in and stabilize. Usually about 3-5 hours playing time until they really hold tune and sound good
Basically this. I've no experience of Nyltech strings on baritones but I haven't liked them or other nylgut type strings on smaller ukes. If you liked the original strings you can get the same clear nylon set or you could experiment a bit and try either D'Addario black nylons (EJ53B) or Titaniums (EJ87B). Both are very similar to the clear nylons with Titaniums sounding a tad brighter and black nylons sounding a bit warmer. I really like all three string types/sets on larger scale ukes, especially on baritones.

If your Baritone is mahogany, I'd go with the Worth Browns... looks great with the dark wood, and sounds awesome too!

As a beginner who likes to tinker I've changed strings a few times looking for a sound that I can feel if that makes sense. So much info on strings from those more experienced and knowledgeable than myself out there to read and watch. It is easy to get caught up in the search for strings vs. playing. Like how I've spent three times as much time modding Skyrim than playing it over the years.

I started with factory super nylagut which seemed bland. Went to Pro Arte which I liked with one wound string. When wound string frayed I picked up Dunlop's which never sounded right. Tried Aquila Sugars and not happy with 3rd (G) string switched to Reds which were ok. Didn't like strings 1& 2 so put those two from Sugars back on and really like the sound except squeak of the two Sugar strings.
Next will try a full fluorocarbon set, probably phD's and unless they wow me will go back to Pro Arte set and stay with them.

Like my Skyrim experience it's time to stop tinkering, be happy with how the baritone sounds and concentrate on playing.
Until I finally buy an all wood that is and start over.
Hope this in some way helps.

Not a baritone player but in the process of looking for new tenor strings. While searching I came across LaBella brand that also has baritone set with two wound strings. Wonder how they are liked by players here?

Uke Logic has a nice set with wound D,G. I use either the T/I set above or substitute the T/I 3&4 with wound Fremont soloist strings.
You can use Fremont Soloist on a Baritone?

Interestingly on HMS site the baritone hard and soft sets show same gauges as sets for other sizes. Uke logic is true one size fits all, they probably just cut them a bit longer. Their gold alloy is also the same LaBella string as soloist and they include it for baritone 4th string only.

Thanks Merlin, I just checked with Strings By Mail and the T-I CF35 is a wound A string used for the D while the CF30 is a wound D string used for the G.

Using T-I's or Fremonts for my tenors I've always used the CF30(D) for the for the G string and CF27(G) for the C. I've only used the UkeLogics for tenors and never checked on their baritone strings cause I like the T-I's and Fremonts.

On my 23" scale bari. I use the CF 35&CF30 for the 3&4 with regular guitar fluro b&e for the 1&2. on the shorter scale 19-20" bari, I change the 1&2 with a G(b) and B(e) fluro string. I've used this combo for years after a conversation with Dirk from SouthCoast strings; may he rest in peace.

Will have to check out your suggestion but have a hard time figuring a same size UkeLogic would fit sizes from soprano to baritone. Strings have changed drastically in recent years. But as Down Up Dave says, it depends on the type of. material the string is made.

Strings By Mail has nice collections of baritone uke strings. You can reach out to them directly for help in choosing one within your budget. Cheers!

Top Bottom