Baritone Uke - neck issues

ic-uke

Reaction score
I'm now shopping for a Baritone uke. I'm hesitant to do so because of the neck twisting and bending issues that I've experienced with this size uke (on the low end) in the past.

Speaking to my local Uke distributor, I learned that unfortunately, they've also experienced that very problem on some of their Baritones and the Uke Bass'. I'm sure that's part of the reason why the Baritones are only a marginal part of their Uke offerings.

I don't think that would be an issue were I to get into a vintage, well built - Martin Baritone from the 60s'. Unlike my fave Tenor (Martin T1K) their Baritone model never really appealed to me.

Looking at modern alternatives, the only model that I could find that address' this issue is Mya-Moe. They include a carbon-fiber reinforcement in their Bari necks.

Any thoughts on this (obscure) issue?

Thank you

ic-uke

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard of a widespread problem like that with baritones or basses. The plural of anecdote isn't data, but I've never run into it myself (small sample size - I have two baris and one U•BASS, plus two others I no longer own), nor do I recall talking to anybody who complained of it.

There's nothing inherent to the size that should encourage twisting in a competently built instrument even without extra bracing, and many of that size have truss rods (though those won't help with twisting).

This is the first I've heard of a widespread problem like that with baritones or basses. The plural of anecdote isn't data, but I've never run into it myself (small sample size - I have two baris and one U•BASS, plus two others I no longer own), nor do I recall talking to anybody who complained of it.

There's nothing inherent to the size that should encourage twisting in a competently built instrument even without extra bracing, and many of that size have truss rods (though those won't help with twisting).
The manager
I don't think Mim sells baritones anymore but I also don't know why. Pono baritones have an adjustable truss rod that might help.
Arcy:
I'm only speaking of my own experience with import ukes from the 2000s' and the sellers' response to the issue. Conversely, my Martin Style 51 Baritones' neck was perfectly straight. Which is inline with your key word - competently.

kkimura:
I'm not familiar with Mim (this is the first Uke Forum I've joined). That's good to know about Pono Baritones. Thank you for sharing.

I've have never experienced a warped neck on a baritone. All of them are mid 60s or latter. The string tension on them should not warp the neck even after many years. The build and wood selection seems the problem. If new or just purchased it should be returned for refund.

I've have never experienced a warped neck on a baritone. All of them are mid 60s or latter. The string tension on them should not warp the neck even after many years. The build and wood selection seems the problem. If new or just purchased it should be returned for refund.
Neck warping isn't limited to Baritone ukes. It's something that their cousin - Classical Guitars, traditionally built sans truss rod, also suffer from. It really doesn't surprise me that a Baritones' neck would also warp as it's much narrower than that of a CG. Nylon strung, neither instrument TTBOMK suffers from undue string tension. Of course, seasoned, select woods used in competently built instruments fair far better but at a cost.
Yes, the seller refunded me my money.

Last edited:
Mim is a reputable ululele dealer.

Pono makes tenor and baritone ukuleles with adjustable truss rods. That should eliminate any concerns you have.

John

Mim is a reputable ululele dealer.

Pono makes tenor and baritone ukuleles with adjustable truss rods. That should eliminate any concerns you have.

John
My, my, the things one learns here at UU! Thanks for the great information John.

Regarding it being widespread; I should stress Arcy that this is only concerning three, low quality, import, factory made instruments from Lanikai, Cordoba and Bushman, (2) Baritones and a Concert respectively.

I don't know the numbers that my local dealer encountered but it's it was enough to cause them concern.

Another vote for supporting your local Uke Builder!

This is exactly why Pono is using a truss rod in all of their larger models, including baritones and tenors.

I think Mim mentioned that she stopped selling baritones because of "setup issues".

This is exactly why Pono is using a truss rod in all of their larger models, including baritones and tenors.

I think Mim mentioned that she stopped selling baritones because of "setup issues".
Interesting about Pono necks. The Godin Multi Uke Tenor Acoustic / Electric that I'm selling here, on UU also has a truss rod.

I believe that LoPrinzi uke necks are made of multiple woods for extra stability. That was one of many reasons for me to order a Baritone from them via Uke Republic.

I have several baritone ukes and have never had a neck issue. My Caramel baritone has an adjustable truss rod…

I've seen numerous warped necks on ukuleles, of ALL sizes.
It's a systematic quality control issue that all mass manufactured instruments suffer from.
It's not a baritone specific problem.
The answer. Buy in person, and not online.
The prevalence of online shopping only serves to encourage poor quality control.

... import, factory made instruments from Lanikai, Cordoba and Bushman, (2) Baritones and a Concert respectively.
Neck bow and/or twist is not limited to just those sizes or brands. I've had 3 problems/returns with other brands (two were not mentioned above) over the last 2 years. Upon arrival, inspect your purchases carefully and again before the return window closes.

Last edited:
Mim said that she stopped carrying baritones because she has limited space for inventory in her shop and baris took up too much room and didn't move very fast compared to the other sizes. She no longer carries Pono ukuleles. Nor Kala.

Good luck with your search. I've owned a variety of baritones. I've had good luck with several brands. Pono and Ohana stand out. The vintage ukes are more of a risk. I had a harmony that was excellent and a Conrad whose neck is straight but suffers from other issues.

Interesting post about Mim. Baritones' aren't flying off the shelf.

Thx

I've had truss rods in a Pono tenor, a Kala baritone and my Flight baritone. My Mainland baritone has no truss rod.

My Pono was an older ukulele and I used the truss rod once to correct bend. It worked.

My Kamaka baritone is unplayable. Debating trying to install a taller saddle to raise the action or to take it to a shop for a
neck reset.
What can I expect to pay for a neck reset?

Top Bottom