Baritone buying recommendations

malarz

Reaction score
I'm new to ukulele buying and would apreciate any advice and recommendations on baritone brands to search for and those to avoid and then those to covet. Price range maybe $500-600 which, I suppose, puts it somewhere in the mid-level quality range. I'm in CT and would like to be able to try one before buying but I've bought guitars and banjos via the internet and have been disappointed only once. I'm willing to take a chance on buying an untested-by-me instrument.

Thanks for any help/

Most people will probably recommend Pono at that price point and I would agree with that notion. They're decent baritones for the money and there isn't many alternatives at that mid-range of quality. However, I would very much suggest checking out Cocobolo Ukulele if they happen to have a baritone available on their lotteries. I made that the switch from Pono to Cocobolo baritone and never looked back. The difference in quality is much greater than the price difference.

Forum member Kelali makes wonderful-sounding baritones. Mine was about $400 used. Not sure of his new prices.

Most people will probably recommend Pono at that price point and I would agree with that notion. They're decent baritones for the money and there isn't many alternatives at that mid-range of quality. However, I would very much suggest checking out Cocobolo Ukulele if they happen to have a baritone available on their lotteries. I made that the switch from Pono to Cocobolo baritone and never looked back. The difference in quality is much greater than the price difference.
I'm going to confirm Dohle's prediction and say Pono... I love love love my Mahogany Baritone...

And: I really hate my Oscar Schmidt Baritone... don't go there...

Last thought: If you have a tenor, put some Baby Baritone strings on there and see what you think. I put a set onto my Pono AT-CR and they literally transformed the instrument - in a way a also love. Worth a try if you have a tenor laying around! (I got mine from Strings by Mail) It's also easier to play if you have smaller hands like I do...

I have bought almost every uke I own "sight un-played" from eBay... so far so good! Worth the gamble for an instrument in this price range I think.

I never thought I'd learn to love a Baritone, but I do... Hope you do to!

I'll second (or third) the Pono recommendation and also suggest the solid wood Kala's like the KA-SA-B (solid acacia). There are going to be some other great suggestions here, so you will have some great choices. The key is buying from a reputable store like The Ukulele Site, Elderly Instruments, Aloha City Ukes, among others, that check them over and do great set-ups.

No one has mentioned Mainland Baritones so I will. They make one in Mahogany and the model I own in Red Cedar/Rosewood. In your price range you could add a MISI pickup. Mine is a wonderful sounding ukulele and a beauty as well.

Another vote for Pono. They offer many different options, probably the largest selection in the baritone size, and they use all solid woods.

Another vote for Pono. They offer many different options, probably the largest selection in the baritone size, and they use all solid woods.
Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions and recommendations. Not knowing anything about ukuleles, besides their having four strings :unsure:, I appreciate the time you took to post your replies. As a first step I've contacted the seller of the Loprinzi.

I think I also will try the suggestion from bbkobabe to string my Kala tenor with Baby Baritone strings to see and hear if I like the sound and the challenge of learning new chord shapes.

Thanks, again.

An update: after a few days of communicating with the seller of the Loprinzi I decided not to make the move to buy it (the seller was patient and understanding) but instead ordered baritone strings (Worth from Strings by Mail, as recommended). Strings arrived today and I plan to restring my Kala-GTR tenor guitar with the baritone strings. The Kala seems to have a scale length similar to a baritone. As a tenor guitar I've always liked its size and sound with steel strings. If I take to the baritone, as I hope I will, then I'll get back to looking to buy a "real" baritone.

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.

I concur with others here on the Pono if you decide to buy a baritone and are looking at $500-600. My Pono MGBD mango baritone ukulele is really nice and high quality. However, I have two Kala baritone ukuleles that have served me very well and are awesome for the lower price point: Kala KA-SMHB (solid mahogany) and Kala KA-ABP-CTG (cedar top/acacia). Once you get the baritone strings on the tenor I'd like to hear how you liked it though. Note that Pepe Romero makes UBB Baritone Strings for tenor ukulele (DGBE), baby baritone as they call it - I have never tried them however.

Yet another vote for Pono as a great choice! I put a set of Martin fluorocarbons on my KA-GTR, and it played OK, but it is braced differently than a Bari, has a longer scale (21.5 in.), and a slimmer nut width (1.25 in.), so it wasn't quite like playing a Baritone. I just re-strung it with steel strings after the experiment, and that's how I like it best. I have had MANY baritones, and I heartily agree with all those above who have recommended the Pono brand. Best of luck with your quest!

I am looking for Players opinions on the sound difference between the standard MGB Pono, the deluxe MGBD and the Mainland Mango. Hard to get a real feel listening to clips on YouTube Talked to different retailers who praise both Pono and Mainland build wise so I feel comfortable with that part of the decision. I plan on purchasing one of these soon and plan on it being my primary for a long time. I prefer a warmer sound over brighter sound if that helps. Combo of strum and finger picking style player.

That is a tough call. A couple months ago I bought a Pono MGBD baritone ukulele, but before I did I went back and forth a bit on whether to get the deluxe or standard. I ended up with the deluxe after listening to some videos comparing them, and besides I just liked the gloss finish. I doubt that you can go wrong in your decision, but they do sound different to me. I will say that the Pono is a very well-made ukulele, and I really like the sound. I am a finger picker, and I too prefer warmer to brighter, and feel the mango falls somewhere in between, but that is my purely subjective take on it. Search "pono mgbd baritone ukulele" on YouTube.com for some good videos, if you haven't already.

Last edited:
That is a tough call. A couple months ago I bought a Pono MGBD baritone ukulele, but before I did I went back and forth a bit on whether to get the deluxe or standard. I ended up with the deluxe after listening to some videos comparing them, and besides I just liked the gloss finish. I doubt that you can go wrong in your decision, but they do sound different to me. I will say that the Pono is a very well-made ukulele, and I really like the sound. I am a finger picker, and I too prefer warmer to brighter, and feel the mango falls somewhere in between, but that is my purely subjective take on it. Search "pono mgbd baritone ukulele" on YouTube.com for some good videos, if you haven't already.
Thank you Terry, exactly the type of reply I was hoping for. I've watched what seems like all the videos out there and wanted to hear from someone like you who owns and plays one of these. Especially how the Ukes voice develops over time

An update: after a few days of communicating with the seller of the Loprinzi I decided not to make the move to buy it (the seller was patient and understanding) but instead ordered baritone strings (Worth from Strings by Mail, as recommended). Strings arrived today and I plan to restring my Kala-GTR tenor guitar with the baritone strings. The Kala seems to have a scale length similar to a baritone. As a tenor guitar I've always liked its size and sound with steel strings. If I take to the baritone, as I hope I will, then I'll get back to looking to buy a "real" baritone.

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.
Maybe I'm confused, but are you planning to put fluorocarbon strings on an instrument built for steel strings? If you are, just be advised that because steel strings have much higher tension than fluorocarbon (or nylon) strings, the soundboards for instruments that are designed for steel strings are built to withstand that higher tension, and fluorocarbon strings will sound muffled.

Maybe I'm confused, but are you planning to put fluorocarbon strings on an instrument built for steel strings? If you are, just be advised that because steel strings have much higher tension than fluorocarbon (or nylon) strings, the soundboards for instruments that are designed for steel strings are built to withstand that higher tension, and fluorocarbon strings will sound muffled.
Thanks for your response. You are correct that the fluorocarbon strings sounded muffled. I removed them and went back to the steel strings. Back to looking for a baritone.

Top Bottom