banjo uke

malarz

Reaction score
I have seen a few banjo ukes which appear to be soprano sized. Are there any available in a tenor size?

Thanks for any replies.

Gold Tone also makes one.

Also, a shortish tenor banjo can be found in the sub 20 inch range.

Lots of those on the vintage market for almost nothing.

Deering make a tenor version of their well reviewed Goodtime banjolele. There’s also a tenor Magic Fluke Firefly.
Deering no longer makes their 12" pot tenor Goodtime banjo uke. They only make the concert size.

It's very loud but plays very nicely.

Whatever you wind up with, an added arm rest really makes playing more comfortable.

What kind of playing is your intention? Strumming 20s-30s, Folk, Fiddle tunes, or this:

This is important because tenor banjo would have steel strings while tenor banjolele would most likely have nylon ukulele strings.

You can find tenors with nylon strings like the Duke 10 or Goodtime as recommended above.

Oh, and CGDA, DGBE, GCEA, or "other"?

.... +1 on the armrest.

Last edited:
Haven’t been on the forum for a while and missed this. Are you still looking for a tenor banjolele? I build them with nylon or a custom steel string set. Check them out at www.SongbirdUSA.com. Also, I have a baritone, re-entrant tuned steel stringed version coming very soon. The prototypes look and sound really nice!
Here is a picture of someone playing one of my tenors to give you an idea of the size/style.
i have two tenors for sale on my site now but have a couple more coming soon.

Attachments

• A8BD901E-A164-4FEB-8803-AE5AC47642F1.jpeg
    A8BD901E-A164-4FEB-8803-AE5AC47642F1.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 12
Haven’t been on the forum for a while and missed this. Are you still looking for a tenor banjolele? I build them with nylon or a custom steel string set. Check them out at www.SongbirdUSA.com. Also, I have a baritone, re-entrant tuned steel stringed version coming very soon. The prototypes look and sound really nice!
Here is a picture of someone playing one of my tenors to give you an idea of the size/style.
i have two tenors for sale on my site now but have a couple more coming soon.
Thanks for your reply and the link. I have been to your website a few times to look and desire but after some time thinking I've decided to not try to start another instrument just now. That will change, of course (!), but for now I'll continue just to look.

Thanks for your reply and the link. I have been to your website a few times to look and desire but after some time thinking I've decided to not try to start another instrument just now. That will change, of course (!), but for now I'll continue just to look.
Sounds good Malarz,
In the future, if you find yourself in the market, please let me know.
I would be honored to build something special for you. 🙂

Like black licorice...A Love/hate thing...

Try before you buy. These sound better as an idea than as a ukulele...

I know banjoleles (or banjos for that matter) aren’t for everyone. It just depends on the type of music you are interested in playing. They are a lot of fun though and when done right, can sound very nice!

I know banjoleles (or banjos for that matter) aren’t for everyone. It just depends on the type of music you are interested in playing. They are a lot of fun though and when done right, can sound very nice!
The blue maple one --- whoa.
Do you have any sound samples/videos anywhere? Such samples are of course limited (including, by the viewer's tech), but I find them helpful to determine *characteristic* tone, etc. I'd enjoy hearing yours!

Any notion of overall weight? That's the other factor pictures can't convey....

~ S.

The blue maple one --- whoa.
Do you have any sound samples/videos anywhere? Such samples are of course limited (including, by the viewer's tech), but I find them helpful to determine *characteristic* tone, etc. I'd enjoy hearing yours!

Any notion of overall weight? That's the other factor pictures can't convey....

~ S.
Hey Spieler!
The weight looks to be about 3.25 lbs. To put that into context, I have a Lanikai monkeypod tenor in the shop that is about 2.15 lbs. I do in fact have sound samples. I can't get them to load here but they will be on the website in the next week or so and I'm happy to email the mp3 to you in the meantime, if you are interested. Just let me know and I'll get it to you. I used to have them on the site but I'm doing some updates and haven't figured out how to integrate the audio player with the new setup yet. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help! :)

Like black licorice...A Love/hate thing...

Try before you buy. These sound better as an idea than as a ukulele...
It depends on who's playing it....and who's listening.

My bandmates want me to play mine more than I want to play it.

Top Bottom