Song Help Request Ballad of Curtis Loew: E7(?) to end several lines

Oldscruggsfan

Reaction score
For the past couple weeks I’ve worked on a finger style solo of Skynyrd’s “The Ballad of Curtis Lowe”. My question- As written in multiple online chord/lyric pages, the tune is in the key of E Major and several lines end in a one-note transition from E to E7. Key of E works just fine and all other portions of the progression sound correct other than those E7s. Ideas or suggestions such as maybe It’s Emaj7 rather than Edom7?

When I learned things like this I started by playing along (vinyl records) and then look for other sources to fill gaps and check my solution. Trust your ear before what you find on internet or in books.

When I learned things like this I started by playing along (vinyl records) and then look for other sources to fill gaps and check my solution. Trust your ear before what you find on internet or in books.
Update: Turns out that the lowest note of Emaj (C string at 4th fret) works just fine for that final E7 note, whether starting at the 7th fret E position or nearest the nut. However, I had a bigger issue in the finger style cover I recently posted. I unknowingly picked the intro and outro riffs in C rather than E / A#. Notes are in the right order, but the entire riffs are in the wrong key, ugh.

Top Bottom