Bad KoAloha Concert Ukulele

rsmith0399

Reaction score
I recently purchased a KoAloha Concert from the original owner. The Ukulele was manufactured less than a year ago.

I looked it over pretty good when I got it but this week I noticed a glue separation about 2 inches long between the side and top along the top curve by the neck. The neck is not separating. Also I have noticed that the binding along the bottom edge of the neck has a sharp edge. It's like they forgot to sand it. The binding on the top edge of the neck is rounded as it should be.

I purchased the KoAloha Ukulele because of all the praise everyone had for the great workmanship and sound of the KoAloha. It DOES sound great, but I could have done a better job on the finishing.

Since I am not the original owner is there anything I can do to get these problems fixed, or am I stuck with a lemon?

Thanks!
Ron

Attachments

• P1000276.jpg
    P1000276.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 355
  • P1000278.jpg
    P1000278.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 300
Contact KoAloha directly. They repair damaged 'ukuleles.

Obviously, the warranty is void, so KoAloha most likely would charge for the repair and shipping, but definitely worth contacting them to hear their opinion.
The pics don't look too bad, you may be able to get it fixed locally by a reputable shop for a reasonable price.
I hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction.

If the original owner still has the receipt you might be able to work with him/her or at least use their name in getting the uke repaired under warranty. Probably cost you a fair piece of change to ship it back so the local repair route might still be a better way to go.

The most important on is the seam separation between the top and side on the upper bout. If you have a feeler gauge, pick the thinest gauge and see if the separation goes all the way through. If it doesn't you are probably ok. My 2nd hand Koaloha has a separation between the top and side right at the tail block. But it appears to only be 1/32 or less deep. Original owner did not have the receipt so I was dead in the water as well.

Just a thought, be sure to keep the uke humidified in a case. Maybe it will help to keep the separation from worsening.

Lemons can make a great lemonade. It's still a KoAloha ukulele that many folks would love to play, so enjoy it!

Ukes are all hand-made, so there will be some imperfections occassionally. Nothing on this one that couldn't be easily fixed with some glue, clamping, and light sanding.
If this is your nicest uke, or you haven't had much experience at repairs, let a professional do it.

Aloha Ron,
I'd also give KoAloha a call as they have a better than rain policy..and great customer service....I've even heard they fixing structual issues for sexond and third owners...but you may have to pay
the shipping....Their phone number is 1-808-847-4911... 744 Kohou street suite "K"" Honolulu, Hawaii..96817 Call them and discuss the matter....

Ron,

Are you saying the separation was not there when you first bought it? I'm not sure where you live but if humidity is an issue at your location then no solid wood instrument could last. I believe even KoAloha specifically states that a humidifier must be purchased at time of purchase with their ukes for the warranty to be valid. Also note that they have the MOST solid reputation for doing repairs of ANY manufacturer out there. The separation does appear to be at the seam and a little glue and a clamp should take care of that with no problem.

As far as sanding the of the binding, that would be an issue in their manufacturing and I'm sure they would take care of that. You might even consider doing it yourself. Its an easy fix.

I talked to the folks at KoAloha. They said they could take care of it, especialy since it is less than a year old. I sent it to them this week. $55 UPS!
I'll let you know how it comes out. They seem to be very nice people.

I talked to the folks at KoAloha. They said they could take care of it, especialy since it is less than a year old. I sent it to them this week. $55 UPS!
I'll let you know how it comes out. They seem to be very nice people.

Yes, KoAloha has awesome customer service and has been known to help out the buyers of their ukes even though they were not the original buyers.
I am sure they will take very good care of you.

Last edited:
Yes, they seem to always take care of people even if the warranty isn't transferable. That's why there are so many KoAloha lovers on this board.

KoAloha = Great people and great service. I just might have to buy me one.

I just bought one from dkcrown. I am really glad to hear that they stand behind their work. I believe he was the original owner.. not sure, should ask.

Repair time

I sent my KoAloha acouple of weeks ago. Does anyone have any idea what their turnaround time is on repairs? I don't want to start calling and bugging them.

I wouldn't think a call would bug them. A call everyday maybe...:uhoh:
Good luck on a quick return of your repair!

Well, it has been a couple of months now since I sent my KoAloha in for repairs. I have emailed them several times.
Each time they say they will get to it right away, but I still don't have my Ukulele! I am starting to worry if it will ever be returned.

Top Bottom