Song Help Request Artificial Intelligence (AI) for songwriting?

I recall something about Bob Dylan being told he was wrong to play electric guitar. They're just tools of music creation I guess. AI is a different animal though. It's apparently always teaching itself and improving.
instead of programming the computer to make sappy mediocre music, it might be interesting to program one to make good music. There is plenty of crappy music being made, why add to it?

Before my time, but yeah, there was a big fuss when Dylan "went electric". That's nothing to do with having a machine write your songs and music for you, though! It's just a slightly different instrument.

I don't know that I'd trust AI to write good lyrics. But, I suspect that AI could be trained all of the rules of music theory and song structure and likely compose reasonably good music. It would probably lack the unique attributes of a good composure. It would either be very formulaic, or in any efforts to add uniqueness, it would likely get it wrong and just sound weird.

There are things that an AI just can't do.

I'll cry if they start trying to dub voices like Callas, Ronstadt, and other actual singers. Linda's voice still really moves me.
They are starting to do be able to copy someone’s singing voice reasonably well (and mimicked speech is more advanced). Far from perfect at the moment but I heard some songs sung in the style of Kurt Cobain, Frank Sinatra and others. They get the general feel and tone but there is still an obvious artificial sound to them at the moment.

Before my time, but yeah, there was a big fuss when Dylan "went electric". That's nothing to do with having a machine write your songs and music for you, though! It's just a slightly different instrument.

I don't know that I'd trust AI to write good lyrics. But, I suspect that AI could be trained all of the rules of music theory and song structure and likely compose reasonably good music. It would probably lack the unique attributes of a good composure. It would either be very formulaic, or in any efforts to add uniqueness, it would likely get it wrong and just sound weird.

There are things that an AI just can't do.
With the note that there are many songs that sell well that really do not have good lyrics I think AI will be able to do as well as your average song very soon, particularly with the right prompts. Where it may have special value is as a tool for lyric writers just like a thesaurus or rhyming dictionary. For example you can get it to draft a song based on the theme and structure you want and then edit it, or get it to revise some lines or if you are stuck on a line not working you could ask it to give you ten or twenty alternative lines.

I finally got an account and as I am always looking for lyrics gave it a few tries. The first few were impressive similar to the examples here, but as I tried more the repetitive pattern became apparent and the novelty effect quickly wore off. It's an interesting concept but will need a lot more work.

They are starting to do be able to copy someone’s singing voice reasonably well (and mimicked speech is more advanced). Far from perfect at the moment but I heard some songs sung in the style of Kurt Cobain, Frank Sinatra and others. They get the general feel and tone but there is still an obvious artificial sound to them at the moment.
If they're just going to copy voices, just get a tape recorder.
A computer rendering of a voice isn't singing.

Been playing around with the art generating version of AI called DALL-E by cutting and pasting song lyrics into the text box and generating images. Might be a cool way to make your own music video. Below are a couple images it created for song lyrics and/or associated phrasing of text inputs from Tim McGraw's Watch The Wind Blow By(including the 6 toed woman):

Attachments

• DALL·E 2023-01-30 14.47.45 - A photorealistic image of a man and a woman's bare feet by a creek.jpg
    DALL·E 2023-01-30 14.47.45 - A photorealistic image of a man and a woman's bare feet by a creek.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DALL·E 2023-01-30 14.59.15 - Creek goes rippling by photo.jpg
    DALL·E 2023-01-30 14.59.15 - Creek goes rippling by photo.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.02.31 - man and woman barefoot by a creek photo.jpg
    DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.02.31 - man and woman barefoot by a creek photo.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.03.59 - Brown leaves have started falling photo.jpg
    DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.03.59 - Brown leaves have started falling photo.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.07.08 - fall season vista photo.jpg
    DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.07.08 - fall season vista photo.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 5
  • DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.09.30 Doing nothing all the way.jpg
    DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.09.30 Doing nothing all the way.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.11.52 - man and woman laying down in tall grass dreaming.jpg
    DALL·E 2023-01-30 15.11.52 - man and woman laying down in tall grass dreaming.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If they're just going to copy voices, just get a tape recorder.
A computer rendering of a voice isn't singing.
Yes certainly not a fan of them doing direct unauthorised copies of people singing. When they get synthesized singing voices to sound good then there are certainly a lot of uses for that (some positive, some negative). Just like good quality digital instruments (orchestras, drums, pianos, guitars, etc) have their place. Hopefully with all aspects of music making the human touch will still be valued over AI but there is no doubt AI will be used as a cheaper and quicker alternative in some commercial situations.

I finally got an account and as I am always looking for lyrics gave it a few tries. The first few were impressive similar to the examples here, but as I tried more the repetitive pattern became apparent and the novelty effect quickly wore off. It's an interesting concept but will need a lot more work.

Yes certainly not a fan of them doing direct unauthorised copies of people singing. When they get synthesized singing voices to sound good then there are certainly a lot of uses for that (some positive, some negative). Just like good quality digital instruments (orchestras, drums, pianos, guitars, etc) have their place. Hopefully with all aspects of music making the human touch will still be valued over AI but there is no doubt AI will be used as a cheaper and quicker alternative in some commercial situations.
I bet the unauthorised use of a voice that sounds exactly like someone or really close to it will be fair game in music production. It feels like courts would have to determine the amount of miniscule changes to a voice for it to still be legal.

Musicians definitely do not have to work as hard in the studio or be as ready as they used to have to be. I also have to remind myself that the "instant musician" is not a new concept. In the 60's and 70's many homes had an organ and a cool one was the Baldwin fun machine where you could hold down one key and it had a whole rhythm section. The Omnichord also comes to mind. I'm going to mess around with AI before I get too judgemental I guess.

As AI learns, we can learn how to communicate with AI in order to expedite its maximum potential. The most exciting aspect of AI as I see it is the potential to reduce wealth inequality globally and cure diseases like cancer. People are already using it to create bots for stock trading. The implications are hard to wrap my head around. It's like an infant passing the bar exam. I wonder what will happen if a self destructive species like humans teaches a machine everything? The scariest aspect is the possible extinction of humans. So, there's that.

Last edited:
As AI learns, we can learn how to communicate with AI in order to expedite its maximum potential. The most exciting aspect of AI as I see it is the potential to reduce wealth inequality globally and cure diseases like cancer. People are already using it to create bots for stock trading. The implications are hard to wrap my head around. It's like an infant passing the bar exam. I wonder what will happen if a self destructive species like humans teaches a machine everything? The scariest aspect is the possible extinction of humans. So, there's that.
Human extinction will be a likely outcome if you believe in evolution. But I am getting old and don't have kids so don't really care.

With new AI tech made accessible through text chat sites like https://chat.openai.com/chat. I asked it to write a song about sacrifice. Here's what it came up with in a few seconds:

Verse 1:
Em D C G
I'll give up my own dreams for you
Em D C G
I'll let go of what I wanted too
Em D C G
I'll be the one to walk away
Em D C G
So you can have your brighter day

Chorus:
C G Am F
I'll do what it takes to make you see
C G Am F
That I'll be there for you, constantly
C G Am F
I'll give you my all, my everything
C G Am F
So you can have your chance to shine

Verse 2:
Em D C G
I'll put your needs before my own
Em D C G
I'll make sure you're never alone
Em D C G
I'll make the hard choices for you
Em D C G
So you can make it through

Chorus:
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F

Bridge:
Em D C G
I'll be the one to take the fall
Em D C G
I'll be the one to make the call
Em D C G
I'll be the one to make it right
Em D C G
So you can see the morning light

Chorus:
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F

Outro:
Em D C G
I'll be the one to make the sacrifice
Em D C G
So you can have a better life.

Note: These chords are for the purpose of giving an idea and you can change them as per your preference or style.

Any thoughts on using AI for music creation?
Hi! Using AI for music creation can be a cool way to get those creative juices flowing. It's like having a virtual bandmate who can whip up lyrics and chord progressions in a snap. But hey, let's not forget that the real magic happens when us humans add our own touch. It's all about pouring our emotions and unique style into the music. So, while AI can be a nifty tool for inspiration, it's still up to us artists to bring the soul and make those songs truly shine. It's like a high-tech jam session between humans and machines. Gotta love that creative collaboration! Besides I’m a student, and having qualified help with my projects is essential for me. That’s why I use this tool to search for answers. It’s been really helpful in finding the support I need for my studies

Last edited:
A major issue for artists with AI is attribution of rights.

AI can be just a big database sucking out stuff from everyone's feed and because it looks glossy and complicated many humans think it is something special.

However, when it sucks the stuff out of your store of creative ideas in the cloud or device, no-one knows it is your intellectual property that has been accessed and shared. A record company can get AI to regurgitate your ideas as the answer to an AI question, and you will never get respect or payment for your intellectual brilliance. Also you have lost control over who you want to access your creative work, if you enjoy politics there may be people or groups who you would never let near your creative content, but they can just get it from AI without asking you.

So you can set up your virtual Bandmate, but who is the human who actually created the content and do you think you should arrange to pay appropriate respect to their work? Do you think it is fair to press a button and then the computer effectively finds someone else's creative work to display or sell to you, without any reference to the creator of the work?
In a sense, AI is an extension of all of us and the universe we inhabit. Paying respect to the creator would require knowing who created us. It may not matter if AI decides humans are a threat to existence.

Machines making art and music while humans make starvation wages at menial jobs is not the glorious future I envisioned…

A major issue for artists with AI is attribution of rights.

AI can be just a big database sucking out stuff from everyone's feed and because it looks glossy and complicated many humans think it is something special.

However, when it sucks the stuff out of your store of creative ideas in the cloud or device, no-one knows it is your intellectual property that has been accessed and shared. A record company can get AI to regurgitate your ideas as the answer to an AI question, and you will never get respect or payment for your intellectual brilliance. Also you have lost control over who you want to access your creative work, if you enjoy politics there may be people or groups who you would never let near your creative content, but they can just get it from AI without asking you.

So you can set up your virtual Bandmate, but who is the human who actually created the content and do you think you should arrange to pay appropriate respect to their work? Do you think it is fair to press a button and then the computer effectively finds someone else's creative work to display or sell to you, without any reference to the creator of the work?
The strike of the writers in Hollywood is just the start. The best sit-coms, screenplays and scripts could be written real soon by AI if they aren't already. People who write for a living and graphic artists are hit immediately by AI. The music industry is still figuring it out I would think. This school year will be a mess as schools try to figure out AI and plagiarism policies.

The attribution of rights thing is something I can't picture yet. How close will a voice have to sound before you to have to credit Sinatra, Lady Gaga or Paul McCartney? AI will probably determine that. AI should produce the best/most marketable music possible since it can access and draw from all artists and producers (unwittingly like you pointed out). It could be crazy -- amazing music will be created by people typing prompts into a program.

Human artists will have to adapt. Maybe live performance becomes more of a thing as it will be impressive seeing human talent?

When history catches up with the creative arts industry and you realise what the Luddites were really about?

You don't have to have the right voice like Sinatra or Lady Gaga. Its about the music and creative art publishing rights. Effectively AI is automated plagiarism in its current format. Rich platform owners can make money out of your creative talents and hard work and never have to acknowledge the person who created the published material.

"Human artists will have to adapt", so says the rich platform artists who are making money out of someone else. Check out the lyrics of this tune:

If you are a person making an income out of creative endeavours, maybe you need to lose the apologies and start to realise what you are doing on the internet and stop making AI sound like its a fascinating new thing to play with, when it is just a big vacuum cleaner sucking up all of your creativity into a privately owned database that benefits a very few rich people who think they own the internet.

I played with ChatGPT for an hour before I realized we were in serious trouble. Artistic talent lost a ton of value overnight.

If I can type in a program, the prompt "Make me a song that is a duet between Justin Bieber and Tina Turner, about a break-up, starts out minimally and builds to a strong ending". I run it until it spits out an amazing fully produced, radio-ready song with which I am happy. Will I be able to protect this as my own property? I'm going to guess, yes. Woo hoo! I've got 5 minutes to spare -- I'm gonna write a movie soundtrack!

As an artist, I'll have to find my place now that people with zero art interest or ability will be able to produce art that may be better than what I or a highly trained professional can make. Is there a way around this or is this an unavoidable reality? It seems too late already.

I think we can get around this or at least adapt to it.
I think you are right and we will adapt. There is a bunch I can't get my head around yet but no doubt we will see big things happen.

I feel like a guy who got really good at morse code and then they go and invent the telephone. What we will get will be better but it feels like your skills are less valued. Not unlike the strings players who lost jobs when string synthesizers came around just on a much bigger level. In the big picture this will improve the quality of music and art and create things no human ever imagined.

Here's a test for an AI "agent".

Write a song (or term paper) about "gobbaldygook".

Do NOT misspell that request. (I never SHOUT, but this is critical.) I am curious for a reason ;)

This is an (80's) historical reference to using DECTALK (feel free to G'gl it). I did use that, at the time.
old school tts

Top Bottom