Strings Are Strings for X the same as Strings for Y, but just a different length?

Joko

Reaction score
Where I live, you can't get ukulele strings in any of the half-dozen or so retail shops in town that carry them in any size other than soprano/concert. There's lots of options (for here) to choose from, but somewhere on the back, in fine print, they all say soprano/concert. Strings labelled as being for tenor or baritone simply don't exist.

Now, I don't change the strings on my Kala baritone often. When I've done so, I think it was based on advice I got here at UU that strings 2-5 from a set labelled as for a "classical" guitar should work fine. And they have.
It so happens I've commissioned a local luthier to make 12 custom tenor ukuleles with the colors and name of an institution I'm donating them to. I've ordered them with sting installation TBD.

I think I'm aware that strings come with certain measurable characteristics like thickness (gauge) and tensile strength... as well as non-quantifiable stuff like what they're made of, how they're wound (if applicable) and what of tone they generally produce.
That's all there is, right? There's nothing specific to tenor strings that make them different from soprano strings other than their combination of the characteristics from the list above. Am I wrong?

So what happens at the string making factory that strings are produced in long spools and then cut to the appropriate size for the intended instrument. If the gauge and material are the same, the length it's sold in the package doesn't mean anything.

My question is whether my assumptions are correct or is there some other factor I'm not getting yet?

...There's nothing specific to tenor strings that make them different from soprano strings other than their combination of the characteristics from the list above. Am I wrong?
This is true. It is not the instrument but the string's weight, scale length, and frequency that determine the tension.

Notice, the diameter of the string is not part of the equation. However, the diameter is involved in calculating the weight per inch. That's where I get lost... choosing the diameter. To me, that is the "missing link."

Where do you start choosing diameters? Hopefully, someone else can explain how to use D'addario's tables.

Last edited:
Not sure this helps, but some fluorocarbon string companies, like Oasis, package the same strings for soprano/concert/tenor > Oasis Sop/Con/Ten (not affiliated with vendor, just an example). Others change only one or two strings. So your premise seems correct.

Not sure this helps, but some fluorocarbon string companies, like Oasis, package the same strings for soprano/concert/tenor > Oasis Sop/Con/Ten (not affiliated with vendor, just an example). Others change only one or two strings. So your premise seems correct.
You can put same strings on all sizes if they are cut long enough. But on shorter scale they will have less tension so will have less powerful sound and may even feel more squishy. String sets from manufactures that make strings for multiple instruments usually put sets together that suit the different sizes and are less of a compromise. There are tables posted that compare string diameters and tensions for most sets that are readily available.

As others have said your assumptions are correct that diameters are the difference between the strings sets. Installing soprano concert strings on a tenor will result in less tension. As obvious as this may seem there is this thing called the internet and you can order pretty much anything and have it delivered to your door. All joking aside I use Strings by Mail a lot because living in Canada we have little available in string variety

For the same tuning at the same tension, tenor strings will be lighter than soprano strings.

Most strings are sized to have a bit more tension on a tenor because the added length give you more mechanical advantage while fretting. Southcoast, may he rest, gave this info in great detail.

Every string maker has a slightly different philosophy of what’s “right” so you you’ll see quite a bit more variation brand-to-brand than you will within brands.

If you watch your string gauges, you might find for example a “Light Soprano Low G” set that works perfectly well as a “Baritone Low G” set, which I was using for awhile for Renn guitar rep before I switched to PhD strings.

Where I live, you can't get ukulele strings in any of the half-dozen or so retail shops in town that carry them in any size other than soprano/concert.

My Kala baritone is the only ukulele that I play.

When I started a few years ago the local choice for baritones was (and is) sparse

Local stores are happy to special order from their string suppliers which meant delays.

I like fluorocarbon (aka PVDF) strings sets that don’t use fragile wound strings.

My research indicates that all the fluorocarbon string makers use similar gauges, and that they get bulk strings from the same few factories that supply the fishing tackle companies.

Wound strings vary a lot and are supplied from classical guitar sources.

Since I don’t need to experiment any more with string sets I’ve simplified by getting 25 yard spools of fluorocarbon fishing leader that yield 30-40 strings per spool depending on string length.

I’ve got SeaGaur and Berkeley brands (same source factory) and am fairly confident that other brands are similar and competitive.

It’s also handy for experiments with banjos etc. And for freebies to demonstrate to ukulele buddies that fresh strings are a good idea. 😁

Typical gauges vary by string maker. Note that the regular ukulele GCEA gauges overlap baritone DGBE so fewer spools were needed.

Baritone gauges
D: 1.04mm 100 lb
G: 0.91mm 80 lb
B: 0.74mm. 60 lb
E: 0.66mm. 50 lb

Tenor gauges:
G: 0.91mm 80 lb / 0.62 mm 40 lb
C: 0.74mm 60 lb
E: 0.66mm 50 lb
A: 0.57mm 40 lb STS

Concert gauges:
G: 0.91mm 80 lb / 0.62 40 lb
E: 0.66 mm 50 lb
A: 0.57mm 40 lb STS

Soprano gauges:
G: 0.91mm 80 lb / 0.57 mm 40lb STS
E: 0.62mm 40 lb
A: 0.52mm 30 lb

The spools of thick gauges are pricey and may need special orders. Thin gauges are inexpensive and widely available.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Does the luthier not have strings or recommendations for strings? In my limited experience the builder is usually the best source for strings and most knowledgeable about what works best for instruments they build.

Also, as these are for charitable donation string companies like Aquila may also be willing to donate sets if you ask them nicely.

Top Bottom