Song Help Request Anyone know the name of this song?

Farkvam

Reaction score
Starting at around 2.50 in the following Outdoor Ukulele review...I’ve heard it many times...

I don’t have a YT account otherwise I’d ask in the comments.

Thank you!

Last edited:
is it a song? Maybe it is. I don't know. Are you asking for the name of the possible song, or how to play what he's playing? I can tell you what he's playing.

is it a song? Maybe it is. I don't know. Are you asking for the name of the possible song, or how to play what he's playing? I can tell you what he's playing
I can see what he’s playing in the video, but I thought it might be a jazz standard and wanted to know the name to see if there’s more to it.

Don't really know if that is a specific song really or just strumming some common chord combinations for demo purposes. Reminds me of "Ain't she sweet", that's sort of a ukulule staple for many people, but there are some differences.

The bit at 2:50 is a standard 2-bar vamp in the key of A major. He is playing two chords to the bar like this:
/ A A#° / D6 E6 / He plays this vamp three times.
Then he does a little walk-down playing four chords to the bar like this:
/ E6 D#6 D6 D6 / ...and finishes with (maybe) one beat of Amin7 and three beats of E7 like this:
/ Am7 E7 E7 E7 / ...adds an extra measure of E7 while removing and replacing his index finger on the G-string
/ E7 / ...which is kind of strange because it breaks the 2-bar pattern from the stuff above.

The E7 serves as the turnaround back to the A chord, so he essentially made an extra bar of turnaround. He finishes by playing two measures of A, kinda alternating between A and Am7 by placing and removing the fingers off of the A-chord.
/ A / A /

A 2-bar vamp such as this would have been used in lots of tin pan alley type tunes, so that is why it sounds familiar. But I don't believe he is playing any particular tune because the extra measure of E7 is a little strange to me. I think he is just using shooting from the hip for a demo.

If you like the sound of the vamp, you should 'steal it' and work it into your own song. Nobody can copyright a chord progression, so steal away!

The rest of the faster strumming is 12-bar blues in A.

The bit at 2:50 is a standard 2-bar vamp in the key of A major. He is playing two chords to the bar like this:
/ A A#° / D6 E6 / He plays this vamp three times.
Then he does a little walk-down playing four chords to the bar like this:
/ E6 D#6 D6 D6 / ...and finishes with (maybe) one beat of Amin7 and three beats of E7 like this:
/ Am7 E7 E7 E7 / ...adds an extra measure of E7 while removing and replacing his index finger on the G-string
/ E7 / ...which is kind of strange because it breaks the 2-bar pattern from the stuff above.

The E7 serves as the turnaround back to the A chord, so he essentially made an extra bar of turnaround. He finishes by playing two measures of A, kinda alternating between A and Am7 by placing and removing the fingers off of the A-chord.
/ A / A /

A 2-bar vamp such as this would have been used in lots of tin pan alley type tunes, so that is why it sounds familiar. But I don't believe he is playing any particular tune because the extra measure of E7 is a little strange to me. I think he is just using shooting from the hip for a demo.

If you like the sound of the vamp, you should 'steal it' and work it into your own song. Nobody can copyright a chord progression, so steal away!

The rest of the faster strumming is 12-bar blues in A.
Thank you for the comprehensive breakdown Yukio! (y)

I didn’t hear back from the player, but I’m starting to think you must be right about it being just a common progression. I had played it for my husband on my uke before posting this question and he had this funny expression, and said, “I know that song from somewhere...” Ha ha. So it’s probably just commonly floating around in many old songs out there as you’re all suggesting.
Thanks for humoring me! ;)

I have a printed chord chart that has "common intros, endings and turnarounds" on the last page. It reminds me of one of those.

I think what your brain is recognising here is the first four bars of the bridge to 'Blue Moon', which is very similar to what he plays at 2.50. The lyrics are

"And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will hold"

The chords are a standard ii - V - I - VI.

I think what your brain is recognising here is the first four bars of the bridge to 'Blue Moon', which is very similar to what he plays at 2.50. The lyrics are

"And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will hold"

The chords are a standard ii - V - I - VI.
Thank you Duckyl, I’ll look into that!

Top Bottom