Any possibility of a theme to match the old red & tan look & feel?

MopMan

Concerned Citizen
UU VIP
Reaction score
I prefer darker and warmer colors and the old site really did look great

also, I am a UI professional and would be willing to help put something together if there is a need

Yeah, that's what I wanted!
Thanks for posting

I'd prefer medium gray or charcoal. All these whites are hard on the eyes, especially late at night.
This is what I tell everyone but people are so reluctant to change! And apps taking years and years to adapt also but getting more widespread. I can't believe online shopping sites that are piercing burning white, I'm just in a hurry to leave.
I use Samsung Internet browser on mobile, best implementation of dark mode by far.

I suspect MopMan knows about, or even contributed to the solution but for everyone else, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Default Style" in the bottom left-hand corner...

yVIAp7x.png

Then click "Pro Blue" - then you should get a theme more in line with what was there before.

The "Pro Blue" style still features high-contrast black text on a bright white background for posts. It is not at all similar to the old Red & Tan styling IMO. The old look & feel was much easier on my eyes.

No one has communicated with me regarding the theming... though I'm still willing to help

The "Pro Blue" style still features high-contrast black text on a bright white background for posts. It is not at all similar to the old Red & Tan styling IMO. The old look & feel was much easier on my eyes.

No one has communicated with me regarding the theming... though I'm still willing to help
Sorry. Out of the text and the background, which was red and which was tan?

I don't recall that.

I don't have a problem with the color scheme either. I notice when I change the style from Pro Blue to Default, the UU banner at the top goes away and the highlight color is blue, with Pro Blue, the highlight color is teal, a greenish blue.

Looking at the Talk Bass forum preferences (also XenForo), many styles can be made available. Give them time and I'm sure they will get to everything.

1631232730359.png

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I don't recall that.
This is what the site used to look like for me. I don't recall changing the settings (though I may have done so) so I am under the impression that this was the default theme:

1631252224662.png

I would prefer the Theme and colours to be left alone and not changed every five minutes to suit a very small minority of members. it looks fine to me. Everyone wants something slightly different. The focus needs to be on practical functions like legibility and clarity, which are both very good with the current colours and theme.

If you look at recent posts, there are some higher priority issues for the UU owners to address at present.
The concept of themes means that nothing at all would have to change for you. But a lower-contrast color scheme could be made available for users to select if they wish to use it. I consider color contrast levels to be directly related to legibility and visual clarity.

As kohanmike pointed out there are many premade themes available for XenForo. It is probably not a heavy lift to incorporate those premade themes, but I can certainly understand it not being the most pressing matter.

I don't recall that.

@MopMan - I had a little look into this because it's one of my interests/hobbies/bugbears...

There are a number of browser extensions that allow you to write your own custom CSS for specific websites. I tried Stylish (but then read it used to contain spyware) then found Stylus which appears to be a safe version:-

Then you can write your own CSS.

Here's what I have so far:-

.block-container {
background: #eae7d5;
}
.block--messages .message,
.block--messages .block-row {
color: grey;
}
.message-userArrow:after {
border-right-color: #eae7d5;
}
.bbCodeBlock-title {
}
.tooltip--member .tooltip-content {
}
.block-header {
color: grey;
background: #433931;
}

That code then means the website looks like this for me:-

nwPpf00.png

I need to work on quite a few more bits (eg the green headers on the right in the screenshot above) but it's getting there.

If this is your area of expertise then your collaboration would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I just looked over Safari and it has all kinds of controls when I choose to show the Developer menu, including CSS, might be more than I'm willing to devote, but very interesting.

1631289135152.png

@kohanmike - yes, I think you have to be a bit of a website enthusiast for it to be worth investing much time.

The aspect that is of value, in my mind, is that it means us users can play around with the CSS, so that if the forum-administrators want to implement any themes, we can have already done the work for them...

Here's the latest CSS I have, trying to mimic the screenshot @MopMan posted...

.p-pageWrapper {
background:#3b260d;
}
/*.p-pageWrapper is the page background*/

.p-body-inner {
background: #3b260d;
}

.p-breadcrumbs {
background: #eae7d5
}

.p-nav {
color: #FFF;