America the Beautiful

HappyTurtle

Reaction score
National Parks, State Parks, Local Parks or any hidden gems! Share your go to places!!

International Parks and hidden gems are welcome!

Personal goal of mine is to visit all US National Parks 🏞️ 🚙 😎

Attachments

• 16ECEF87-2D69-4C2D-BD96-4406DF115809.jpeg
    16ECEF87-2D69-4C2D-BD96-4406DF115809.jpeg
    822.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 162482B2-CF9D-4018-B3ED-CB1E3D166BDC.jpeg
    162482B2-CF9D-4018-B3ED-CB1E3D166BDC.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
National Parks, State Parks, Local Parks or any hidden gems! Share your go to places!!
We were overlooking the Columbia river just after a very quick fine rain burst. Not visible in the picture were 5 concentric rainbows.

I vividly remember that moment! A minute later, they were gone.

Multnomah Falls is just up the road and worth every step.

Attachments

• Near Portland - Jun, 2005.JPG
    Near Portland - Jun, 2005.JPG
    868.9 KB · Views: 8
We were overlooking the Columbia river just after a very quick fine rain burst. Not visible in the picture were 5 concentric rainbows.

I vividly remember that moment! A minute later, they were gone.

Multnomah Falls is just up the road and worth every step.
😎

I wouldn't go swimming in that river for fear of being fertilized.

If you are in the Monterey Area:

Ten miles south of the aquarium is Point Lobos State Natural Preserve. It is, perhaps, the best park in a stellar state park system. You have a view of Pebble Beach Golf across Carmel Bay. But the wildlife is the attraction. The entire park is hiking friendly (and compact). My son and I encountered a ranger who told us if we looked down at this beach, we could see seal wieners. We saw a mother and a baby. Why wieners? It must be that they look like sausages!

weaners.jpg

Well later, we found out they were "weaners", lol. I still like "wieners".

Also, a ton of breeding Brandt's Cormorants were on an offshore rock:

brandts.jpg

Stop by Cannery Row and/or the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Then twenty miles north is Moss Landing, where you are guaranteed to be able to watch a raft of sea otters from as close as 30 yards away.

otters.JPG

This is a day trip in the Bay Area.

If you are in the Monterey Area:

Ten miles south of the aquarium is Point Lobos State Natural Preserve. It is, perhaps, the best park in a stellar state park system. You have a view of Pebble Beach Golf across Carmel Bay. But the wildlife is the attraction. The entire park is hiking friendly (and compact). My son and I encountered a ranger who told us if we looked down at this beach, we could see seal wieners. We saw a mother and a baby. Why wieners? It must be that they look like sausages!

View attachment 146865

Well later, we found out they were "weaners", lol. I still like "wieners".

Also, a ton of breeding Brandt's Cormorants were on an offshore rock:

View attachment 146866

Stop by Cannery Row and/or the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Then twenty miles north is Moss Landing, where you are guaranteed to be able to watch a raft of sea otters from as close as 30 yards away.

View attachment 146867

This is a day trip in the Bay Area.
Not to mention, Big Sur is just south of Point Lobos too.

We're currently trying to decide between a trip that takes in Zion, Brice and the north rim of the Grand Canyon or a hiking trip to Whistler and Vancouver (I know, not the US, but near).

We're currently trying to decide between a trip that takes in Zion, Brice and the north rim of the Grand Canyon or a hiking trip to Whistler and Vancouver (I know, not the US, but near).
Well, I've not been to the Grand Canyon, but there sure are some great hikes around Vancouver and Whistler!

Call ahead before going to the GC North Rim around this time. South Rim might be the only one open during winter.

One of my favorite places on the West Coast is Joshua Tree National Park in Southern California, especially during the Spring wildflower season. This is a photo taken by my husband on one of our visits to the park a number of years ago. He calls it “The Stargazer.”

1673246130395.jpeg

Call ahead before going to the GC North Rim around this time. South Rim might be the only one open during winter.
Thanks for the heads up. Will probably be June. We actually hiked North Rim to the river, stayed overnight, then hiked back the North Rim trail a few years ago. Highly recommend.

Top Bottom