Adding additional audio tracks to a video?

Flatbaroque

Reaction score
Hi folks I've been recording a lot of videos..uke and voice.I use a Zoom Q4 camera which gives a good result.I end up with a.MOV file.
But the software it comes with is limited.
What I want to do is to be able to add more audio tracks to the video.
Could you recommend a method / software.
I have both ipad and PC.Ipad already has garageband.
Basically I'd like to play along to the already recorded video in real time to add a track.
Thanks.I will also search on this site.
John

In a nutshell, what I do for this is extract the audio from the video and pull it into a DAW. Then add my other tracks in the DAW, mix, add effects, whatever. Then take the mixdown and splice that back into the video editing app and do the video edit - trim down, add titles, video effects, whatever.

I am mostly doing this on an iPad Air 2 using Cubasis as the DAW and LumaFusion as the video editor. But you could use whatever audio and video software you like.

Thanks very much Jim and Choirguy.
Very clear explanation.That sounds like a logical approach to achieve what I want to do.My .MOV files are on PC.So I guess I either use a video editor suited to PC's or somehow get the MOV's onto Ipad where I could use Lumafusion.
Cheers

I move things around with Dropbox a lot.

If you want to stick with PC there are some free/cheap(ish) tools you could try. Windows Movie Maker might even be enough for this task on the video side. On the audio side, I'd recommend Cockos Reaper, maybe Audacity but I never really got on with that one.

I use Audacity to record through a USB mic, then add pictures using Openshot, (you can add movie clips, cut & shut, etc.),

(Both programs are free software - download from the internet.)

Garageband on Mac can import a video file, let you add audio tracks to your hearts content, and then mix-down and mux the multi-track audio back in the with the video, all synchronized perfectly, while also giving the the option to export the whole thing into a YouTube format, DVD format or several other formats as per native QuickTime features.

It all works very seamlessly. I've done it MANY times.

But on PC, I dont know what software is available. I use Mac and Linux and no more Windows ever again.

If further editing is required, I will then take the video that was exported from Garageband, and add titles, fades, etc in Kdenlive on Linux, which is on par, or even better than Adobe Premiere and the output from Kdenlive looks amazing.

Top Bottom