About to pull trigger for Anuenue Moonbird UT-200

SeemingMusic

Reaction score
Hello all,

Would like your thoughts on a potential purchase: Anuenue Moonbird UT200.

I am a fairly new ukulele player and I currently own a really nice acacia Concert Ukulele. I find myself gravitating to a lot of classical music and would like another uke strung with low G. I'm practicing slurs (hammer-ons) and noticed the sustain might be improved by a tenor ukulele (bigger body/longer scale length).

Spruce seems to give good note separation and clarity with the classical/fingerstyle repertoire and provides something different to my already mellow/warm acacia. People seem to say it projects really well and it will have larger and more dramatic dynamic range going from piano to forte. With less strumming involved, I guess it won't be too overpowering or bright?

I am talking with my local uke dealer, about to pull trigger to buy one. I can put a small deposit down and get one within a week. Price is $1195 USD. My Christmas bonus just arrived too :).

My thought process is this... I will get a low G uke. Either this or a cheaper uke (maybe a Anuenue UT10) just to practice pieces on, then perhaps buy the moonbird when I get "better". But then I most likely have a cheaper uke that collects dust. It is better to buy more expensive thing once than to buy twice right? Is the solid rosewood back and sides that much of a difference? More than that, I am curious whether the Fuji bracing is really that much of a difference.

It seems very highly regarded from a lot of people here, reviews, Baz, SUS, WOU ..even seems to be a semi-fixture in TUS videos. Is there any reason for me not to get one?

Like to get some thoughts from the fam. Any negatives people want to point out?

Hello all,

I am a fairly new ukulele player and I currently own a really nice acacia Concert Ukulele. I find myself gravitating to a lot of classical music and would like another uke strung with low G. I'm practicing slurs (hammer-ons) and noticed the sustain might be improved by a tenor ukulele (bigger body/longer scale length).

Spruce seems to give good note separation and clarity with the classical/fingerstyle repertoire and provides something different to my already mellow/warm acacia. People seem to say it projects really well and it will have larger and more dramatic dynamic range going from piano to forte. With less strumming involved, I guess it won't be too overpowering or bright?

I am talking with my local uke dealer, about to pull trigger to buy one. I can put a small deposit down and get one within a week. Price is $1195 USD. My Christmas bonus just arrived too :).

My thought process is this... I will get a low G uke. Either this or a cheaper uke (maybe a Anuenue UT10) just to practice pieces on, then perhaps buy the moonbird when I get "better". But then I most likely have a cheaper uke that collects dust. It is better to buy more expensive thing once than to buy twice right? Is the solid rosewood back and sides that much of a difference? More than that, I am curious whether the Fuji bracing is really that much of a difference.

It seems very highly regarded from a lot of people here, reviews, Baz, SUS, WOU ..even seems to be a semi-fixture in TUS videos. Is there any reason for me not to get one?

For that price, grab it! You will LOVE it! Forget the cheaper one. I have a moon bird tenor. low g and it is fantastic. Picking mine is a dream. This ukulele will blow you away. You will not regret it. :)

If it is not the price, and you like the sound, then I would argue no. I mean, that uke really pushed the boundaries when it came out and still does, rightfully so. I love my UT214 & UT3K (same build as the Moonbird but with cedar & koa).

There is pros and cons to this approach, but if you are dedicated get the Moonbird imo. The UT10 is a great uke for the price, but the Birds are different beasts. Very different sound signature too (listen to Barrys reviews of both on GotAUkulele for example).
The solid rosewood back and sides do shape the sound, yes. Compare samples of the Cedar Bird UT214 vs the LION, basically the same build but rosewood vs koa back and sides. SUS did a nice comparison video of all the Birds btw.
Also the bracing patterns do have an effect on sound, as seen in the UT1K & UT3K (structurally the same build but one with fan bracing and the other with the "Mount Fuji" x-bracing). It's hard to describe but I would say the x-bracing gives extra bass response and has an overall more modern tone whereas the fan bracing has more of the traditional island sound with more mids.

TLDR version, the Moonbird is a great uke. ;)

If it is not the price, and you like the sound, then I would argue no. I mean, that uke really pushed the boundaries when it came out and still does, rightfully so. I love my UT214 & UT3K (same build as the Moonbird but with cedar & koa).

There is pros and cons to this approach, but if you are dedicated get the Moonbird imo. The UT10 is a great uke for the price, but the Birds are different beasts. Very different sound signature too (listen to Barrys reviews of both on GotAUkulele for example).
The solid rosewood back and sides do shape the sound, yes. Compare samples of the Cedar Bird UT214 vs the LION, basically the same build but rosewood vs koa back and sides. SUS did a nice comparison video of all the Birds btw.
Also the bracing patterns do have an effect on sound, as seen in the UT1K & UT3K (structurally the same build but one with fan bracing and the other with the "Mount Fuji" x-bracing). It's hard to describe but I would say the x-bracing gives extra bass response and has an overall more modern tone whereas the fan bracing has more of the traditional island sound with more mids.

TLDR version, the Moonbird is a great uke. ;)

Thank you for re-affirming some of my thoughts/beliefs and your insights from owning the cedar and koa bird! Very helpful. Your point about the UT1 and 3 differences in bracing... it reminds me of this episode in which I can hear differences!

I'm also in a fortunate position that price isn't a deal breaker... I'm a grown man and I'll buy whatever Chrissy pressie I want! 😝

Buying a high quality ukulele that you really like is never a bad move. I have always advocated to skip mid tier and go for the top if one can afford it. It saves money in the long run, you aren't second guessing yourself and the amount of joy you get from a fantastic sounding ukulele is immeasurable. Your thought process about a tenor having a bigger sound is correct. So is the sound characteristic of spruce and rosewood being articulate and powerful.

First, the price you quote is crazy cheap and is reason enough to start with the Moon Bird. If you wait you will not save a penny because the greater cost over this price will exceed the cost of the UT10.

The Moon Bird is one that instantly comes to mind when you mention classical music. It definitely has a mellower sound than acacia and has a beautiful and balanced tone. I had a MB concert that was a joy, sold only when replaced by a custom ukulele.

Finally, there is no "I am not worthy" when purchasing an ukulele. The better ukulele, in this case the MB, will play better and sound better every single time you play a note or chord. Every...single...time. This is independent of playing ability, music genre, etc. It will bring more joy for the entire time you own it. And ukuleles do not wear out, they only age gracefully!

Hello all,

Oh do it do it! I went from a $60 ukulele (that I still play) to a beautiful warm moody low g Anuenue AMM3. The AMM3 is a pleasure to hold and hear and makes learning to play ukulele a treat. The Moonbird is a "destination" uke for me! Enjoy!

Speaking from experience, it really does help your playing to buy a "better" ukulele. Your playing sounds better. The ukulele is almost always easier to play. The sounds you make on the instrument are nicer inspiring you to play more often. I like my Moonbird a lot.

If you know that a tenor is a good size and fit for you, than go for the UT200. It's a terrific instrument. Clean crisp notes for fingerstyle. Lovely chime and resonance for strumming. The Moon Spruce top gives it excellent projection. While the rosewood body ensures that the sound gets a nice low end to compliment the mids and highs. It's well made and, it's beautiful.

Plus, if you listen very, very carefully as you stand under a full moon on a quiet summer's night you can hear the wolves howling in approval as you play softly in serenade. ;)

It really is an excellent tenor. It will maintain its resale value if for some reason it doesn't work for you.

noticed the sustain might be improved by a tenor ukulele (bigger body/longer scale length).
As others have already noted here, lots of people love the Moon Birds, so if you can afford it and like the sound, then it seems like a great option.

As someone who plays concerts, I wanted to mention, though, that the sustain on concerts can be great, too.
Check out this Barron River concert ukulele:

I have a Kinnard concert, and the sustain on those is amazing, too. Both Barron River and Kinnard are custom builds, so not as easily available as the Moon Bird, but depending on what scale length you decide that you prefer, don't give up on the idea that concerts can't have great sustain.

And, depending on what scale length works for you, there are 16" builds, too, (in between tenor and concert), like the Kamaka Ohta San. TUS recently had a less expensive version of the Ohta San available, (Kamaka HB-2 instead of HB-2D), and it sounded great in the videos. They're built with fingerstyle players in mind, as I understand it.
Found the link for the HB-2:

Anyway, I suspect that you'll get the Moon Bird and love it. But just wanted to note that there are ukuleles with great sustain for those of us who prefer a smaller size.

As others have already noted here, lots of people love the Moon Birds, so if you can afford it and like the sound, then it seems like a great option.

As someone who plays concerts, I wanted to mention, though, that the sustain on concerts can be great, too.
Check out this Barron River concert ukulele:

I have a Kinnard concert, and the sustain on those is amazing, too. Both Barron River and Kinnard are custom builds, so not as easily available as the Moon Bird, but depending on what scale length you decide that you prefer, don't give up on the idea that concerts can't have great sustain.

And, depending on what scale length works for you, there are 16" builds, too, (in between tenor and concert), like the Kamaka Ohta San. TUS recently had a less expensive version of the Ohta San available, (Kamaka HB-2 instead of HB-2D), and it sounded great in the videos. They're built with fingerstyle players in mind, as I understand it.
Found the link for the HB-2:

Anyway, I suspect that you'll get the Moon Bird and love it. But just wanted to note that there are ukuleles with great sustain for those of us who prefer a smaller size.

Thanks for the idea! I own a concert and can't help but be curious if there's much of a difference. I guess this will be a good experiment!

I have tiny fingers so was a bit apprehensive at first of larger scale. Again, need to try and give it a good while to see if it's really a problem.

The Moonbird Tenor is a great uke, and perfect for classical music and fingerstyle playing. I've come to really appreciate Spruce top ukuleles, because of their clarity and projection. I say go for the UT200.

Thanks for the idea! I own a concert and can't help but be curious if there's much of a difference. I guess this will be a good experiment!

I have tiny fingers so was a bit apprehensive at first of larger scale. Again, need to try and give it a good while to see if it's really a problem.
I very much agree with Joyful Uke. There are plenty of excellent concert ukes around that don't necessarily differ that much in sound compared to tenors, including the Moon Bird concert. I'd say that the difference is more noticeable with cheaper ukes that benefit from a larger body more than more quality ukes.

It's definitely fun to try a tenor. I had (or more accurately, am having) fun with that experiment but for fingerpicking my most comfortable size is the concert by far. I have a few really nice concerts whose sound is so wonderful I really don't need a tenor version of them. One of them, coincidentally, is the aNueNue Koa Bird. aNueNue builds extremely nice sounding ukes regardless of the size. Obviously you'll always get a bigger sound from a tenor compared to the smaller sizes but the difference isn't massive.

Go for it. That's a very good price, as they've gone up in the last year or so. It's a lovely uke and I'm sure you'll enjoy playing it and owning it.

Top Bottom