About the new Thunderbrown Aquila strings for bass ukuleles 20 -26 inches scale

Sr. Kobabe,

Ke-mo sah-bee (/ ki:mou' sa:bi:/; often spelled kemo sabe, kemosabe or kimosabe) is the term used by the
fictional Native American sidekick Tonto as the "Native American" name for the Lone Ranger in the American
television and radio programs The Lone Ranger. Derived from gimoozaabi, an Ojibwe and Potawatomi word
that may mean "he/she looks out in secret", I1l it has been occasionally translated as "trusty scout" (the first
Lone Ranger TV episode, 1949) or "faithful friend". [2]

Last edited:
Names can be like ukuleles. Sometimes we have no idea of their origins or their worth but we just like their sounds.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

When listeners hear recordings of my ā€œubassā€ they have a hard time believing it comes from the instrument they see. I guess if I had chosen a different name they would be more content.

Interesting... you just never know which direction a UU thread would take...

Personally, my belief was that there was a lot more Spanish being spoken in Texas than the various Native American languages, and that "Tonto" was just putting it back into the Lone Ranger's face with his own insulting nick name...

What ever... "We now return you to our regularly scheduled programing".

Good thing.jpg

Yes, Tonto just doesnā€™t work in Spanish. Might as well have called him Menso or even Pendejo.

Maybe Gavacho would have been a better name for Kemosabe or GĆ¼ero or even Bolillo. Touch cartoon to read caption. And then back to that pressing question as to whether a ubass is a bass and what do you mean when you say is.

Attachments

• 9FCA8550-E736-43FC-8827-AE97CF363F91.jpeg
    9FCA8550-E736-43FC-8827-AE97CF363F91.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I've installed the browns on two instruments - a Kala and a fretless Aklot. I'm never going back to the older Thunder Blacks or Reds, or Pahoehoes. I'm not a terribly good bass player, but these just sound and feel much better. This is especially noticeable on the E string - I can play up the neck without the sound turning to mush.

I sold my fretless with the browns and went back to Pahoehoe strings on my Oscar Schmidt acoustic ubass that I bought from Mike Cohen and on my solid body Kala ubass that I bought used on Ebay. I just love the feel of the Pahoehoes. The browns were nice on my fretless, but Iā€™m very happy with my Pahoehoes.

I think what matters really is how you play.

I sold my fretless with the browns and went back to Pahoehoe strings on my Oscar Schmidt acoustic ubass that I bought from Mike Cohen and on my solid body Kala ubass that I bought used on Ebay. I just love the feel of the Pahoehoes. The browns were nice on my fretless, but Iā€™m very happy with my Pahoehoes.

I think what matters really is how you play.
Me too, I just like the sound and soft, smooth feel of the Pahoehoes! šŸ˜šŸ¤™šŸŽ¶

It's so interesting how just like the ukulele, the choice of strings really are a personal matter of taste! Asking for a friend though (the friend is me), where's everyone buying and selling their 2nd hand UBasses cos marketplace doesn't seem to list much... or any. Cheers, Ning
I bought my 2nd hand UBass on my city's Craigslist.

It's so interesting how just like the ukulele, the choice of strings really are a personal matter of taste! Asking for a friend though (the friend is me), where's everyone buying and selling their 2nd hand UBasses cos marketplace doesn't seem to list much... or any. Cheers, Ning
I think Rondo music is a GREAT place to but an inexpensive but very good ubass, acoustic or solid body.

Otherwise for selling, here or Craigslist. Maybe even Ebay if you can deal with its ways.

Last edited:
So Am I the only one that had bad buzzing on both of my bass ukes with Thunderbrowns on them? Why must I be so unlucky? I'll have to swap them out. What a waste of $100. I love the feel and tone I get from them.

So Am I the only one that had bad buzzing on both of my bass ukes with Thunderbrowns on them? Why must I be so unlucky? I'll have to swap them out. What a waste of $100. I love the feel and tone I get from them.
Is it the strings themselves? Or is one of them contacting the fretboard? If itā€™s the string, then you can very likely get a replacement set. Someone from Aquila is a member here on UU.

Buzzing is usually when strings begin rattling against frets because one or more of:
- bridge saddle too low
- nut slots too low (deep)
- fretboard curvature needs adjusting.

These new strings are thinner which means action may need adjustment. Routine stuff for a guitar/ ukulele tech and some hobbyists.

Try to identify the location(s) of the buzz by listening and watching the strings vibration.

Check if raising saddle is useful by playing with a layer of business card above the saddle.

Check if saddle slots might need filling by inserting snippets of ukulele string in each slot to raise the new strings a bit (one by one).

Check the curvature by watching and listening to see if string vibrations contact the 12th fret. Curvature may need to be increased by adjusting the truss rod.

Cheers.

Are you coming from round wounds? You probably need to raise the action...and/or get a different nut.

Top Bottom