A backpack for uke?

itsme

Reaction score
I'm not talking about a uke case with backpack straps, but a backpack I can put a uke case in, even if it sticks out the top. I need to be able to tote a folding music stand and a few folders of music/books with it, and I've never seen a uke case with enough storage.

I realize a tenor polyfoam or hard case is going to be too big to fit into anything but some kind of huge hiking backpack (not what I want), but I was hoping there'd be something that would accommodate my Kala thinline tenor case, or my concert Fluke.

I have a nice tote bag that works well with those ukes, but when I go walking, I'd rather not have to keep switching shoulders because of the weight and think a backpack would be better.

Last week I decided to take a uke to the nearby college campus. I found a secluded shaded bench, set up my music stand, and just played. It was such a nice, peaceful environment and I really enjoyed it. Plus, I got a walk of nearly a mile each way. So this is something I'd like to start doing on a regular basis. :)

I've started looking on Amazon since I have some gift credit there. No set budget. But it's kind of overwhelming.

Just wondering if anyone has a specific backpack to recommend.

Check out the Jansport and/or Kelty heritage/vintage series. I bought the Jansport Off Trail to use as a beach backpack. The top has a draw cord and I can fit my soprano in a hardshell case in there just fine, along with my other beach stuff. I'm guessing you could fit a uke, a small music stand, and a couple of books in there, but not a whole lot else.

I like these vintage/heritage reissue packs because unlike modern ones, they don't have a ton of padding and compartments so I can smoosh all my stuff in there with fewer limitations, if that makes sense at all... and the ones I've seen have been super light weight.

I use a Kelty Redstart backpack for carrying things to and fro from work and on day trips. There is an adjustable outside pouch that expands and collapses at the draw of a strap. I regularly carry a soprano uke in there without a case. I think a case would go overboard a bit on size. I've not tried a concert but am sure it would fit fine too if not in a case.

I see the one reviewer gave it bad marks, but I've had mine for nearly a year now without any problems. It also has a large pocket inside that is separate from the main compartment that I stick a music book or two in. And of course there are a couple smaller pouches, one with a zipper, and some easy access pockets outside for water bottles, or any other beverage of choice.

And, it's available at Amazon. Might be worth a look.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R74KN0/ref=twister_B00AATSNJQ

Something with an adjustable closure, like a draw string of some kind, so you can draw it up around the neck part of the case that is sticking out and still be a snug closure, seems like a nice detail. I have an ancient plaid drawstring backpack that I use with my small Ohana case and notebook. I'd love to have a more sturdy, larger bag with the same kind of drawstring closure. It also has a flap over the top, but with the uke in there, it lays open.

Try looking for a 17" or an 18" vertical laptop bag.

I have a Casecrown Jetpack laptop bag which I originally bought for my 17" laptop, but it works great for my soprano ukulele in the padded laptop part or my concert when in the main pouch and I can zip it closed. I can fit books and gear & I like it because it is narrow front to back.

Sadly, it is discontinued on the Casecrown website, but there are a few on eBay once in a while.

Attachments

• jetpack 2.jpg
    jetpack 2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 21
After looking and looking, I decided to get a double tenor bag, and backpack straps added to it, then use the lower compartment for a music stand, mini amp, pouch with a variety of accessories, and use the tops outer pouch for my iPad, and the little zipper pouch on that for strings, foot pedal. It's an all in one solution that's easy enough to carry and has room for a lot of stuff.

Uke bag 72.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not talking about a uke case with backpack straps, but a backpack I can put a uke case in, even if it sticks out the top. I need to be able to tote a folding music stand and a few folders of music/books with it, and I've never seen a uke case with enough storage.

I realize a tenor polyfoam or hard case is going to be too big to fit into anything but some kind of huge hiking backpack (not what I want), but I was hoping there'd be something that would accommodate my Kala thinline tenor case, or my concert Fluke.

I have a nice tote bag that works well with those ukes, but when I go walking, I'd rather not have to keep switching shoulders because of the weight and think a backpack would be better.

Last week I decided to take a uke to the nearby college campus. I found a secluded shaded bench, set up my music stand, and just played. It was such a nice, peaceful environment and I really enjoyed it. Plus, I got a walk of nearly a mile each way. So this is something I'd like to start doing on a regular basis. :)

I've started looking on Amazon since I have some gift credit there. No set budget. But it's kind of overwhelming.

Just wondering if anyone has a specific backpack to recommend.

I want to get a pocket uke just so i can have one to carry around in a backpack,
the only thign i dont like about it is the tuning. I know gretsch makes a camp or backpack
uke i believe its blue plastic with a circle body and flat designed to fit into a backpack or bag.
Other wise i have not found a backpack that even fits a soprano with out my uke kind of sticking out
and it always ends up falling out sadly.

Thanks for all the suggestions. But if anything, I think I'm feeling even more overwhelmed. :eek:

Maybe I need to take a uke shopping with me where I can see and try backpacks in person. B&M stores will soon be touting "back to school" stuff, and I imagine there'll be a good selection of backpacks. :)

Other wise i have not found a backpack that even fits a soprano with out my uke kind of sticking out
and it always ends up falling out sadly.
That's what I was afraid of.

I bought a nice little backpack at a yard sale recently just to try it, but it's not big enough. Well, it was only $1 so I figured it was worth a shot. :p

But I think I can still use it for now. It may not sound like much, but my folding music stand is 2.5 lbs. I can fit that and my sheets/books in the backpack, and that's the bulk of the weight.

Then I can sling my concert Fluke (2 lbs. in its gig bag) or soprano Flea over my shoulder. I can forgo carrying a purse just because it holds a water bottle, since this backpack has two exterior water bottle pouches.

The Kala thinline tenor wouldn't be too bulky to carry, but the case has no strap, just a handle. So for what I want to do, the Fluke or Flea are my best bets.

I really don't need to lug along one of my better ukes to play in a situation like this, and I am grateful I already have viable options in my arsenal. :)

Backcountry ski/snowboard packs that are designed to carry an avalanche shovel on the outside of the pack ought to be able to accommodate a uke in a gig bag. Lots of sizes, styles, and features to choose from. You might even be se use the ski/board carry systems to hold a hard case in place.

Look at laptop knapsacks. They are usually padded or even armoured to protect computer hardware, so offer extra protection. Plus they have compartments for accessories. Mine is a little heavier than a standard backpack, but it's also sturdier while still having lots of room and pockets.

I got the double gig bag from Elderly, but I've seen them on eBay also. I did a search for double or dual tenor gig bag. I then took the backpack straps of off one of my extra gig bags and had it attached to the double.

double tenor backpack.. I want one too!:iwant:

Top Bottom