36 vs 38mm Nut ?

My Anuenue AMM3 is 37mm. Both my Cocobolo tenor and LoPrinzi MRC-C are 36mm. I much prefer the larger size of 37-38mm.
I thought the nut on the AMM3 was 36mm which is why I’ve never brought one :) is it definitely 37mm.. I heard the new models are smaller?

The nut width only tells you how wide the neck is at the top of the fretboard. Which if you have short fingers may make a difference to you.
The string spacing is the more important dimension. Usually it is measured from the C/L (strings center lines).

I have found that the nuts are not always precisely cut and the spacing can vary slightly.

My Ko'Aloha has a fairly wide nut, but the string spacing is the pretty standard 9mm.

The nut width only tells you how wide the neck is at the top of the fretboard. Which if you have short fingers may make a difference to you.
The string spacing is the more important dimension. Usually it is measured from the C/L (strings center lines).

I have found that the nuts are not always precisely cut and the spacing can vary slightly.

My Ko'Aloha has a fairly wide nut, but the string spacing is the pretty standard 9mm.
That's a good point. I think the wider nut yet standard string spacing is to decrease the chance of the outer strings "rolling off" the fretboard during play.

... I've seen some Flight and some Snail models listed as 36mm .

Ok, why is this even an issue?? I have all kinds of stringed instruments and when I play one or the other, I just adapt. I have never measured the "nut" of an instrument, and my latest, a tenor guitar, is narrower than my soprano uke. Even with my fat fingers, it's not a problem. Don't worry about a coupla millimeters width, pick it up, close your eyes, and just play. Does it feel good to you? Does it not? You will know...

Ok, why is this even an issue?? I have all kinds of stringed instruments and when I play one or the other, I just adapt. I have never measured the "nut" of an instrument, and my latest, a tenor guitar, is narrower than my soprano uke. Even with my fat fingers, it's not a problem. Don't worry about a coupla millimeters width, pick it up, close your eyes, and just play. Does it feel good to you? Does it not? You will know...
I'm disabled .

With your disability, only you can tell. The folks in this forum are not going to be able to tell you what works for you. I picked up ukulele because arthritis issues are preventing me from successfully playing 6 string guitar anymore. Do you have access to different ukes you could try? (I didn't) only you can decide what works for you...

Top Bottom