Festival 2023 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival

Woke up this morning at 8am, preparing to go to the festival. Ate a bowl of cereal, showered, got dressed including my brown Ukulele Underground T-shirt, then suddenly got very light headed. I'm prone to getting syncope, low blood pressure, and it seems it happened. I had to lay back for a while, then ate salty eggs, which helped. Not sure when or if I'm going to make it to the festival.

Last edited:
Woke up this morning at 8am, preparing to go to the festival. Ate a bowl of cereal, showered, got dressed including my brown Ukulele Underground T-shirt, then suddenly got very light headed. I'm prone to getting syncope, low pressure, and it seems it happened. I had to lay back for a while, then ate salty eggs, which helped. Not sure when or if I'm going to make it to the festival.
Oh Mike. I hope you feel up to it!

Oh Mike. I hope you feel up to it!
Do feel better, but will rather not over do it. Yesterday I had an injection in my right leg to fix a faulty vain valve, and reduce the leg swelling I've had for years after the graft taken from there for quintuple by-pass. The injection might of had something to do with it.

LAST DAY TODAY OF THE 2023 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival! Don't miss out Peter Luongo's "Take Your Ukulele Ensemble to the Next Level" and "Vocal Arranging" classes, Bryan Tolentino's "Hawaiian Song Structure" and Sarah Maisel's "Life After the Third Fret" workshops - PLUS - performances from Jenifer Cabrera, Abby Lyons, Ukulollo, Timmy Cruz, Ukulenny, Katie Denure, and Ukulele Soup - PLUS PLUS - strum-alongs w/ Ben Hassenger to kickstart the morning and close out the festival weekend! Tickets still available and only $27!!!!
2023 ukulele festival flyer - SUNDAY-2.png

Hi Mitch! Thank you, again, for an immensely memorable festival. I had a friend drive up from San Diego to attend for the first time. She got a late start and was only able to do two workshops and then stay until the end, but she had a blast. If the Ohana booth had still been around at the end, she would have purchased one right there. Next year.

I approached Abe Lagrimas after his jazz workshop to give him mad kudos for demystifying jazz improvisation (I've never heard another musician break it down and explain it so simply and clearly). He was appreciative of the feedback, seemed surprised even, and expressed that he hopes to always be invited back to the festival.

I approached Abe Lagrimas after his jazz workshop to give him mad kudos for demystifying jazz improvisation (I've never heard another musician break it down and explain it so simply and clearly). He was appreciative of the feedback, seemed surprised even, and expressed that he hopes to always be invited back to the festival.
Drat! I was torn between this workshop and Mika's performance and got captivated by Mika. I snuck in to check out Abe for a minute and felt like I was already too late to catch up.

I hopefully I can devote some time to this one, if he does it again in the future.

Do we need some sort of campaign?
#bringbackabe2024 😁

Here's a couple vids to wet your whistles...

Careless Whisper performed on Sunday 9/24
- Ukulollo (Lorenzo Vignando) with Ukulenny (Lendl San Jose on Sax), Jenifer Cabrera (ukulele) and Aline Kelly (bass)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps performed on Sunday 9/24, opening for the Nue Concert
- Corey Fujimoto, Mika Kane, and Kalei Gamiao

https://www.facebook.com/keyofchee Huge MAHALO to Craig Chee for these amazing photos capturing the spirit of the incredible weekend we all shared together
❤️
❤️

I want to express my gratitude to all the artists and teachers who were so excited to share their talents and mana'o, friends who pitched in and gave their time and energy to help keep things running on all four cylinders, the vendors who brought their love of ukulele to the marketplace area and kept our bellies full, the sponsors for their support of our vision and helping make the festival possible, and most of all, the attendees, who traveled from near and far (out of L.A. county, out of state and even out of country!) to be part of this annual gathering. The Aloha Spirit was in full force! MAHALO NUI LOA TO YOU ALL!!!!

Mark your calendars now for next year: Sept 20, 21, 22, 2024 and make sure you are signed up on the email list! https://losangelesukulelefestival.com Also please "like" and join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/laukulelefestival/ and Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laukulelefestival/

More pics and stuff to come.....

Who lives out of state/out of country and totally wishes you could be here in L.A. with us in person to see all the live performances from the stellar lineup of artists coming to the festival???

We are working on a plan to video all the main stage performances (Craig & Sarah, Ukulollo, Abby Lyons, Abe Lagrimas, Jenifer Cabrera, Lil Rev, Katie DeNure, Mika Kane, the Legacy Ukulele Ensemble, Corey Fujimoto & Kalei Gamiao) and make it available for your viewing pleasure (probably a couple days after the festival) in exchange for a donation to a Maui charity to help our friends on the Valley Isle.

Who's down???
Thanks for putting this event together, Mitch! 🙌🏽 It's no easy set of tasks and things seemed to go pretty dang smoothly, at least from my perspective.

Any chance this main stage video task gained enough traction to stick? I'd definitely donate and watch at least a few times!

Unfortunately no, the videographer basically backed out at the last minute. I totally would have loved to watch the performances again too!
Awww bummer, but good to know! Don't hafta wait on pins and needles.

Here's to hoping many more videos pop up across the world wide web!

Last edited:
And here's a full video of "A Thousand Years" performed by Corey Fujimoto, Kalei Gamiao, and Mika Kane at the LA Uke Fest. It was fantastic and I'm so glad I got the whole thing!

(And humble brag, I'm the one Kalei is talking about as the person who requested the song...I didn't actually request it, but told them how much I loved it and they said they would play it, and then they did!)

This was my second time attending the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival and WOW. What a fantastic event it was! I attended all three days, all four events, and had fun at them all! Very well-organized and at a great location with plenty of space. There were a lot of people, but it didn't feel too crowded.

Fantastic and diverse artist line-up! I was excited to see some well-known names in the ukulele world, as well as listen to and meet ones I wasn’t familiar with. That’s what’s great about festivals like these—the exposure both the artists and the audience receive. There is a lot of room in the ukulele community for everyone, and it showed at the LA Uke Fest!

If there was any “gripe” I have, it’s that there was TOO much going on at the same time! It was really hard to make choices on what to do/where to go/whom to listen to, and even when I thought I made decisions ahead of time, I changed them constantly. There were at times six things going on at the same time, so you can see the dilemma.

I know there were tentative plans to record the performances on the main stage, with online access given after the event, with a donation to Maui relief efforts. Those plans fell through though, unfortunately. It would be great to have that next year, as it's a great idea! Those who can't make it can enjoy the performances, and those who did go can relive them.

Sound was great for the concerts and workshops I attended. Artists didn't have yell, speakers throughout the room/open space. Nice job, sound folks!

I love that it was officially a three-day event. Maybe for next year, if it’s also for three days, Sunday can have a busier schedule, so Saturday isn’t so compacted. Then again, I did like the pace of Sunday, where there only two choices going on at the same time.

I was sad as each day was coming to an end, and especially as the weekend drew to a close. I’m already excited about next year’s, and it’s so far away! And I’m ESPECIALLY excited because Ukulele Underground’s very own Aldrine Guerrero will be there! (I feel like I can say this, since he did mention it on an Aloha Friday jam.) So UUers, next year is the year to go!

Last edited:
I just want to add my thanks to Mitch for putting on a tremendous festival. I made the 663-mile drive from Utah, and although I had some complications and frustrations on Friday and Sunday, Saturday was fantastic! It was well worth the drive.

I was disappointed to see that there will not be any performance videos, because with so many good workshops going on and some confusion about the times, I ended up missing most of the performances. :(

Anyway, thanks, Mitch. I hope to make this an annual event for as long as I'm up to making the trip.

Here's a nice little NPR piece on the 2023 festival featuring the "secret origin" of our ukulele friends Peter, Genevieve, Peter, Paula & Hector. I listen to NPR all the time so it's quite surreal to hear Steve Chiotakis talking about me - well... not "me" per se but close enough! Click on the link below and the click on the play button top left to listen to the podcast version covering the 2023 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival. Save the dates for next year: Sept 20-22, 2024!

Top Bottom