“Restoring” satin finish using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

uketorik

Reaction score
I recently got a used satin finish soprano. The uke was in excellent condition except for a huge gleaming polished spot near the sound hole. It looks like the previous owner decided to polish the uke, thought better of it and gave up.

After reading about it on some acoustic guitar forums, I got myself some Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads and got to work. The pad needs to be wetted and wiped with a light pressure along the grain. I was pleasantly surprised the results turned out better than I expected. The shiny polished spot was gone and the overall finish looks even and satiny!

I know this is not a true satin finish restoration, but if you want to remove shiny spots or light scuff marks on your satin finish, this could be a viable solution.

Will try to take some pics later to accompany the post.

Would this work on a uke that started with a gloss finish to make it satin? The orange peel finish on the kiwaya koa laminates might be improved.

Sounds like this method has been more successful than the olive oil based "salad dressing" that was the subject of a thread from last summer... that caused all the finish to peel off of someone's vintage guitar head stock!

Actually, some of us ukers value that shiny spot and call it "player's polish", indicating a well loved uke that has been played extensively.

But you gotta wonder what's in those pads, right? They are treated with something... I've used them on laminate furniture and they are a wonder. But this does have me wondering...

Hopefully there won't be a delayed reaction that causes the finish to peel off. Might be best to wait a week before you take the pictures and post them just in case...

Sorry I don’t have “before” pics, but trust me it looks like some polish job gone horribly wrong….a huge ugly glossy spot with swirl marks.

I’ve taken some pics of the finished result but it’s not easy to photograph a satin finish. Made a short video instead. Check it out.

Last edited:
Sounds like this method has been more successful than the olive oil based "salad dressing" that was the subject of a thread from last summer... that caused all the finish to peel off of someone's vintage guitar head stock!

Actually, some of us ukers value that shiny spot and call it "player's polish", indicating a well loved uke that has been played extensively.

But you gotta wonder what's in those pads, right? They are treated with something... I've used them on laminate furniture and they are a wonder. But this does have me wondering...

Hopefully there won't be a delayed reaction that causes the finish to peel off. Might be best to wait a week before you take the pictures and post them just in case...
I would have left it alone if it is a “player polish” but it is more like a blotched polish job from hell…

From what I read about the pads, it is the physical structure of the Durafoam material that they are made of that makes them mildly abrasive like a sandpaper, not any chemical agent in the pads.

I would suggest going slowly and doing it with a light pressure if anyone’s trying this. Perhaps trying it out on the neck first to see if you like the results before doing it on the rest of the uke.

Last edited:
Would this work on a uke that started with a gloss finish to make it satin? The orange peel finish on the kiwaya koa laminates might be improved.
Actually I wouldn’t try this on an open pore or “orange peel” glossy finish. The pads works like a very mild sandpaper and I imagine it would not be able to reach the “craters”, resulting in an uneven finish. I think it works best if the finish is smooth.

Interesting...do you know what kind of satin finish that trick works on, or what finish your uke has? More specifically, nitro or poly?
Actually I have no idea what satin finish my uke has. It is a 10 year old Luna LS-4 made by Kiwaya Japan, which is a replica of the Martin Style 0 uke.

I used to work at a production clear finishing facility. We used to call this "knocking down" a finish... we sprayed everything with gloss nitrocelluose and then we "knocked down" that finish to semi- or satin finish. Seems like this pad works by wet polishing the finish "down" to an even level. By removing some of the finish in a controlled way.

I use to be able to buy 1000 grit steel wool pads... that's what I used. Sounds like these pads are the plastic, grit infused version of that.

Still wondering if they are treated with anything...

Last edited:
I used to work at a production clear finishing facility. We used to call this "knocking down" a finish... we sprayed everything with gloss nitrocelluose and then we "knocked down" that finish to semi- or satin finish. Seems like this pad works by wet polishing the finish "down" to an even level. By removing some of the finish in a controlled way.

I use to be able to buy 10,000 grit steel wool pads... that's what I used. Sounds like these pads are the plastic, grit infused version of that.

Still wondering if they are treated with anything...
You're right, it definitely feels like you're removing the finish in a controlled way when using the pad. So I would strongly recommend doing it carefully and taking it slow as you can overdo it and remove too much of the finish. Definitely no vigorous rubbing.

Some quotes from the article below about Mr Clean Magic Erasers:

- Magic Erasers are made out of melamine foam, using a compound called formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer.

- Melamine foam is a porous material, which acts something like very fine sandpaper to gently remove stains. Though it feels soft on the outside, each eraser is actually uniquely abrasive and uses small air pockets in the material to lift stains when damp.

- While the compound ingredient mentioned above does contain the word formaldehyde, it’s part of a chemical name. Formaldehyde itself is not an actual ingredient in the sponges.

Last edited:
You're right, it definitely feels like you're removing the finish in a controlled way when using the pad. So I would strongly recommend doing it carefully and taking it slow as you can overdo it and remove too much of the finish. Definitely no vigorous rubbing.

Some quotes from the article below about Mr Clean Magic Erasers:

- Magic Erasers are made out of melamine foam, using a compound called formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer.

- Melamine foam is a porous material, which acts something like very fine sandpaper to gently remove stains. Though it feels soft on the outside, each eraser is actually uniquely abrasive and uses small air pockets in the material to lift stains when damp.

- While the compound ingredient mentioned above does contain the word formaldehyde, it’s part of a chemical name. Formaldehyde itself is not an actual ingredient in the sponges.

Thanks for doing the research!

I used to restore furniture and we had lots of tricks I learned there that I have used to smooth out various types of finishes on ukuleles as well...

DISCLAIMER: If you have a valuable or antique instrument, stop reading now. These methods will probably degrade the value of your instrument!

Ok? If you have a situation similar to what uketoric experienced, there are some options. These pads worked fine it seems... Here are some other options...

Although I can no longer get those fancy steel wool pads anymore, I do basically the same thing as uketoric just did, except I do it with wet/dry sandpaper with super high grit numbers when I try to even out a finish.

I use a course of sanding that runs 1500g-2500g-4000g. This essentially brings the existing finish up to a semi-gloss level finish. If I'm smoothing out an abrasion on a matte finished surface, I stop at 1500 or 2500, depending. These are all available from TAP Plastic stores. If you need to smooth out a serious ding or crack in the binding, start with a 220g- 400g instead, and then work your way up. And: ALWAYS SAND WITH THE GRAIN DIRECTION!

As with these Mr Clean pads, some lubrication is needed or the finish will overheat and get messed up... water is fine... I've used the Howard's Feed and Wax product a few times as well - but mostly on furniture... and it will discolor some porous surfaces so be careful!

For a gloss finish, keep going... Diamond sandpaper is available in grits up to 50,000, 100,000 and even 200,000 from lapidary supply stores and as sanding belts from knife sharpening supply places. (50,000g is considered a gloss finish in lapidary terms, fyi)

Since I have no regard for the resale value of my ukuleles, I go ahead and sand away! And the thing is, 4000g looks like a finished surface, even if there is no finish present, on most hardwoods and binding materials. Surfaces that have had all of the finish rubbed off due to damage - over polishing - or extensive use - will look all shiny and new with this treatment. Just sand it, rub a little of that Howard's on that spot, and call it a day...

I buy a lot of used ukuleles to supply my elementary school students, so I see an unusually large number of these types of surface defects (and outright damage). But I bet most of us have considered buying (or have bought) a garage sale special that needs a little love. With this little bag of tricks, I can have them all looking shiny and nice when I'm done with them... and so can you!

I used to restore furniture and we had lots of tricks I learned there that I have used to smooth out various types of finishes on ukuleles as well...

DISCLAIMER: If you have a valuable or antique instrument, stop reading now. These methods will probably degrade the value of your instrument!

Ok? If you have a situation similar to what uketoric experienced, there are some options. These pads worked fine it seems... Here are some other options...

Although I can no longer get those fancy steel wool pads anymore, I do basically the same thing as uketoric just did, except I do it with wet/dry sandpaper with super high grit numbers when I try to even out a finish.

I use a course of sanding that runs 1500g-2500g-4000g. This essentially brings the existing finish up to a semi-gloss level finish. If I'm smoothing out an abrasion on a matte finished surface, I stop at 1500 or 2500, depending. These are all available from TAP Plastic stores. If you need to smooth out a serious ding or crack in the binding, start with a 220g- 400g instead, and then work your way up. And: ALWAYS SAND WITH THE GRAIN DIRECTION!

As with these Mr Clean pads, some lubrication is needed or the finish will overheat and get messed up... water is fine... I've used the Howard's Feed and Wax product a few times as well - but mostly on furniture... and it will discolor some porous surfaces so be careful!

For a gloss finish, keep going... Diamond sandpaper is available in grits up to 50,000, 100,000 and even 200,000 from lapidary supply stores and as sanding belts from knife sharpening supply places. (50,000g is considered a gloss finish in lapidary terms, fyi)

Since I have no regard for the resale value of my ukuleles, I go ahead and sand away! And the thing is, 4000g looks like a finished surface, even if there is no finish present, on most hardwoods and binding materials. Surfaces that have had all of the finish rubbed off due to damage - over polishing - or extensive use - will look all shiny and new with this treatment. Just sand it, rub a little of that Howard's on that spot, and call it a day...

I buy a lot of used ukuleles to supply my elementary school students, so I see an unusually large number of these types of surface defects (and outright damage). But I bet most of us have considered buying (or have bought) a garage sale special that needs a little love. With this little bag of tricks, I can have them all looking shiny and nice when I'm done with them... and so can you!
Thanks for detailed notes. This is very useful!

That looks great! I also love the simple aesthetics of that instrument - right up my alley :)
Thank you! It’s a Japanese made uke modelled after the the Martin Style 0. It’s super light and resonant, I love it!

I used to restore furniture and we had lots of tricks I learned there. With this little bag of tricks, I can have them all looking shiny and nice when I'm done with them... and so can you!
Played a Black Bear uke at a shop that I really want. The top has been overly glossy refinished. I have done a couple of ukes that I finished to a matt by polishing with super fine steel wool. I had a luthier friend advising me. I’m convinced. Gonna go back and buy it, then fix the finish….

Played a Black Bear uke at a shop that I really want. The top has been overly glossy refinished. I have done a couple of ukes that I finished to a matt by polishing with super fine steel wool. I had a luthier friend advising me. I’m convinced. Gonna go back and buy it, then fix the finish….

Watch out... modern commercial steel wool is sometimes treated with an oil like substance to keep it from rusting. Get your wool in a grade that is designed for furniture restoration... don't buy it from Home Depot unless you have to... Try and find the clean stuff!

Watch out... modern commercial steel wool is sometimes treated with an oil like substance to keep it from rusting. Get your wool in a grade that is designed for furniture restoration... don't buy it from Home Depot unless you have to... Try and find the clean stuff!
I get mine from my luthier friend's stash..........
Oh, and it's a concert, pineapple, koa BB. Just amazing player. Feels like home to me. Major want...... I would really like to knock it down to a semi-gloss level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom