Search results

1. Jim Hanks

Ohana vs. Koaloha Opio Solid Cacia

Of course there's this https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/koaloha-opio-kto-10-acacia-tenor-plus-soft-case.163564/#post-2489233
  2. Jim Hanks

Strings experiment with guitar strings! (low tuning pt 2)

Interesting. normal tension guitar sets usually give a normal tension GCEA for tenor scale. For you to be 3 semitones lower on concert scale and starting from a low tension set, I would imagine you have a very low tension configuration here.
  3. Jim Hanks

Strings Living Water on my Kepasa concert uke

Overall favorite strings currently in production and very close second to Southcoast which are no longer available sadly
  4. Jim Hanks

Viva la vida (Coldplay) covered on multiple instruments

Nice! What are the drum pedals?
  5. Jim Hanks

Flight gut-850 or Sound Smith Spruce/Ovangkol SSG-3 Guitarlele

Can I ask where you're located? I think you'd be better off first finding a trustworthy dealer than can provide some quality control and preferably do a decent setup. If you can find that, the exact model is of lesser importance
  6. Jim Hanks

Flight Guitarlele350 sp/sap Action Question

Probably not a bad answer. I see this is an entry level model but I've seen off-the-shelf Yamaha GL1s with way better "setup" than that.
  7. Jim Hanks

Flight Guitarlele350 sp/sap Action Question

I'm not familiar with that brand but 5mm is incredibly high in my view. I prefer closer to half that - 2.5mm - which means you'd have to take 5mm off of the saddle. YIkes. How is the action at the nut?
  8. Jim Hanks

First time trying B6 tuning and need help understanding what I'm hearing and playing!

for tenor scale, I agree with you - Bb or A is my usual preference. But I rather like B tuning for concert scale
  9. Jim Hanks

First time trying B6 tuning and need help understanding what I'm hearing and playing!

that's not how I think of these tunings. I treat them as a transposing instrument. I always "think in C" in terms of what chords/notes I'm playing even if the uke I'm holding isn't GCEA. This means I might have to rewrite my chord chart to fit but I don't have to know different names for the...
  10. Jim Hanks

WHEW!!!!

If you want that two day Amazon ukulele, you can have it. 🙃
  11. Jim Hanks

New Uke Day (NUD) Heritage Baritone

That top tho! 🤤
  12. Jim Hanks

Original Music: "Come on Spring" w/super tenor in CFAD tuning

The ukulele isn't the star here but it's in there. It's a super tenor from Bonanza Ukuleles in cFAD tuning
  13. Jim Hanks

Finding riffs while noodling

I've started whipping out my iPhone when I find something I like. I'll even just say the fret locations like "4 6 7 0" (or whatever) so I can find it again later. Now I have a bunch of things recorded, most of which I'll never come back to 🙃
  14. Jim Hanks

Sold Solid mystery wood Baritone

Definitely looks like Cocobolo. Where did you find that?
  15. Jim Hanks

Which Scale Strings for Kamaka Ohta San HB-2

It's 16" scale. You should be able to use either depending on your tension preference. I think my 16" Cocobolo has concert strings at C tuning (but one of the last Southcoast sets so hard to say definitely) . I bet tenor strings at B tuning would also be nice
  16. Jim Hanks

UPDATE: 19" scale baritone on a budget?

Well, that's probably true, but I for one, found a distinct preference for the shorter scale
  17. Jim Hanks

UPDATE: 19" scale baritone on a budget?

Bruko might be a consideration. you'd probably have to order direct
  18. Jim Hanks

Tuning a baritone higher

Well, i don't think it's dangerous to try but might be higher tension than you like. I know I've seen Ken Middleton tune up a half step on standard baritone scale and you're less than that so it should work. I just prefer lower tension configurations.
  19. Jim Hanks

Tuning a baritone higher

So you want EAC#F# tuning? I've found standard tenor sets usually give me that on 19" scale. For example the Living Water low G tenor set
  20. Jim Hanks

Guitalele

If this is the set, you should be able to judge thickness pretty easily. https://www.stringsbymail.com/aquila-rubino-normal-tension-classical-guitar-strings-134c-full-set-15208.html
Top Bottom