Search results

1. C

Baritone GCEA

I have the PHD strings with GCEA on my Anuenue moonbird Bari. It’s quite high tension. I can play high tension but I prefer not to because sometimes I play for a few hours a day and it starts to hurt. I am also trying to delay the onset of arthritis as much as possible so I rather stick to lower...
  2. C

Baritone GCEA

Just put on a set of concert strings and you’ll have GCEA on your bari. One of my Pono bari is tuned this way
  3. C

Ukuleles, Arthritis and Yours Truly

Use concert strings for lower tension. If u want it even lower tension use nylon concert strings instead of fluorocarbon.
  4. C

Achtung! Moon Bird Tenor Players

I find all the moon birds tenor tend to lean towards the bright side whichever woods they use. Even the Singer line is all bright sounding to me. My guess is nylon strings would make them most mellow. Get a set of guitar strings and use the DGBE for your GCEA.
  5. C

Koaloha factory tour unveils some interesting things to come….

The last time I did the factory tour was about 10 years back and I remember Pops singing for us after our tour. This trip I mentioned it to him and he was so excited and happy and started to sing for all of us again. The children voices in the song are his grandkids.
  6. C

A lady in our tour group bought a concert after the tour and before she left Pops wanted to checked the nut action for her and said he wanted to adjust it further to make it buttery smooth. 10 mins later he brought the uke back and was demonstrating to his grandson the technique he uses to check...
  7. C

Oh and the Royal Pikake Line is coming to and end.…..
  8. C

Pops is a busy man. He was on the phone a few times when I was there! 🤣
  9. C

So I am back in Honolulu again and took the chance to do the Koaloha factory tour. Lo and behold I was greeted by Mom and Pops at the door and had such a great time there chatting with them before and after the tour. Egan, Pops grandson took us on the tour. There was a bunch of red labels with...
  10. C

For Sale Romero Creations # 2 - Cedar & Rosewood "Limited Edition" Grand Tenor

The tenor is an almost exact copy of Pepe’s handmade tenors but factory made in Vietnam. That’s why they are named replica, and more recently renamed as signature model. They are 12 fret to body. The grand tenor is a bit bigger in the lower bout and much thicker in depth. They are 14 fret to the...
  11. C

Please, somebody buy this

Well it didn’t leave me with an impression strong enough to buy it as I already have a KTM25.
  12. C

Please, somebody buy this

I have visited Dean’s shop and played this uke.
  13. C

New Uke Day (NUD) 'Oli Mango Concert

Congratson the new Oli! Oh I thought the neck was wider than the Pono models?
  14. C

NUD - KoAloha Red Label

Congrats on the NUD. Nice bear claw spruce. Have you ever tried those Opios with Spruce tops? Got me wondering how much different they would sound. I got to test a friend‘s black label all Koa model back to back with my silver tenor a few months back. Very similiar sound with a tad more clarity...
  15. C

KoAloha Factory Special Pricing on the Secondary Market

I have a photo of the factory 2nd price list which I took when I visited about 6 months ago. They are about 25% off approximately. Not exact numbers. Those pick guard models I kinda have a feeling is from Isaac’s idea(ukulelelab). Occasionally on his website you’ll see such pick guards...
  16. C

New Uke Day (NUD) Vintage Kamaka HB-2D

Congrats. Regarding the cracks, look inside the uke to see if it has been repaired. If it has you’ll see smal square/diamond shape pieces of wood glued to the end of the cracks. If it hasn’t you can also send it back to Kamaka and they can repair it for you. Or even change the whole top/back.
  17. C

Anyone played a new Oli uke?

Nice playing. Complete with TUS t-shirt!
  18. C

Cocobolo and the Ukulele Site

True but for me sound is the most important of all. I personally don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of buying and selling to get the sound I want. But it’s not always more expensive equals better. I got a Pono Kalele Baritone at the same time as well and even though it cost so much less it...
  19. C

Cocobolo and the Ukulele Site

I had a chance to play the cocobolo baritone and compared it to the anuenue moon bird baritone at HMS. I liked the anuenue more. But taste is subjective.
  20. C

Low G Black (or even clear) Nonwound Nylon Low G?

If you could find a classical guitar unwound Nylon D string that would work. So far I haven’t seen one but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
Top Bottom