Search results

1. BigJackBrass

Song Help Request Bishaw's Method?

During my frequent hunts for sheet music I found this library entry: Jealous [music] / words by Tommie Malie & Dick Finch ; music by Jack Little ; ukulele arrangement by P.P. McGrath using Bishaw's method Does anyone know what "Bishaw's method" might be? Nothing turned up in my searches.
  2. BigJackBrass

Your Favourite Ukulele Ukulele Song

At the risk of being recursive, I was wondering which were the forum's favourite ukulele songs that feature the ukulele in subject or lyrics. Warren Zevon's The Hula Hula Boys, for example, with the line "And I can hear their ukuleles playing down by the sea," or perhaps George Formby's more...
  3. BigJackBrass

This is what I need!

If you feel that your ukulele performances need a little something extra, then I'm here to tell you that the answer to your prayers was on the market way back in 1951!
  4. BigJackBrass

A baritone Fluke

Not sure if this was announced previously, but here's "Jumpin'" Jim playing the upcoming baritone Fluke:
  5. BigJackBrass

Fire Destroys Mississippi John Hurt Museum

Fire Destroys Museum Honoring Legendary Blues Musician Mississippi John Hurt -from the Smithsonian Magazine.
  6. BigJackBrass

UAS: I bet you think this 'toon is about you

Found elsewhere on the Internet (uncredited, but the original "All the Things" meme is by Allie Brosh):
  7. BigJackBrass

Strings Strings: the unusual suspects

It's hardly surprising that discussion of strings often revolves around the same few brands, given that the majority of outlets are likely to carry only a small selection from the bigger names. Yesterday I spotted a couple that were new to me, however. I've yet to try them but they do look...
  8. BigJackBrass

The Uke Room is closing

Looks like I missed my chance to visit: Matt Stead is closing The Uke Room. Understandable, given the enormous amount of other work he does, but still a pity. Many of the remaining instruments are reduced, mostly vintage ukuleles spanning the field from camp and surf ukes, right up to a Martin...
  9. BigJackBrass

Jazzy Ukulele discount

Glen Rose currently has a 30% discount code on his website, which is a pretty decent reduction in the price of his ukulele jazz workbooks and videos. It also applies to existing discounted items, which makes the "4-Pak" bundle cost about the same as the video lesson alone. Worth a look if jazz...
  10. BigJackBrass

Dubious Uke Books

Amazon is flooded with self-published titles of extremely variable quality, which extends to music books (some of you will have seen the recent Anarchy in the Ukulele video in which Kevin destroyed a book of Beatles tunes, published without any copyright information and very unlikely to be...
  11. BigJackBrass

Why Violins Have F‑Holes

An interesting article about the evolution of violin soundholes: Why Violins Have F‑Holes: The Science & History of the Renaissance Design
  12. BigJackBrass

It's only a brief mention…

… in an article on The Guardian website, but can it be coincidence that a community praised by one academic in his new book with the words "It is hard to find another currently existing society that is demonstrably better" includes playing the ukulele? "Miller has returned to London – his job...
  13. BigJackBrass

Pono PTE Tenor charity sale

Matt at World of Ukes has just listed the Pono PTE ukulele I'm selling. Lovely instrument, but I don't need the electro side of it and I found the full tenor size less comfortable for me than my usual sopranos (which seems to be the exact opposite of most people's experience). £150 from the...
  14. BigJackBrass

Odd, Obscure, Overlooked Uke Books?

The are quite a few threads about recommended song and method books, which often cover fairly familiar ground to anyone who's pored over bookshop catalogues, but what I'm interested in here are the outliers and underdogs: the books you are amazed exist; the essential volume you can't believe...
  15. BigJackBrass

New Uke Day (NUD) Hello! Ma Baby T

Madeline Kahn, our head of quality control, gives every instrument a thorough examination before allowing it to stay. A new arrival from World of Ukes, this is a Uma Baby T, a tenor uke with a smaller, concert-sized body. Haven't had much time with it but first impressions are positive: a...
  16. BigJackBrass

Overcoming an aversion to sharing

One of the biggest problems I've carried with me since I was a child is an unwillingness to embarrass myself. Better not to answer than to risk being laughed at. Better to give up than to make mistakes along the way. It's an impossible thing to expect progress and improvement without false...
  17. BigJackBrass

Tabs/Chords The Cliff Edwards Project

Cliff Edwards is, without a doubt, my favourite ukulele artist. He was also quite prolific. After writing up a few of his songs in a simple, single page format for my own use, I had the ridiculous idea of doing the same for as many of his recorded tunes as I could, which turns out to be a lot...
  18. BigJackBrass

Hawaii: Subjugation of the Paradise Kingdom

Many of you will know much this already, but even so I think it's worth a reminder of, or first exposure to, the story of what happened to Hawaii following European and American arrivals:
  19. BigJackBrass

Song Help Request Keep On Croonin' A Tune (1925)

As yet I haven't seen a copy of the sheet music for this one, nor a hint that anyone has ever produced a ukulele songsheet for it, but I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help. As you can see, there were at least two printings of Keep On Croonin' A Tune by Sammy Fain, Irving Weill and...
  20. BigJackBrass

Songs you've discovered because of the uke

At the ukulele club last night someone requested we play through Far from Any Road by The Handsome Family. Although it was in the club songbooks I only joined a few weeks ago, so I'd not played it before. It's also a song I'd never heard of—luckily one which was very easy to pick up quickly—and...
Top Bottom