Search results

1. BigJackBrass

Practicing without driving those around you nuts

Electric ukulele (Risa Solid Stick) unplugged or with headphones.
  2. BigJackBrass

Pet pictures time, people!

Thank you, although Madeline Kahn here seems to disagree 😁
  3. BigJackBrass

Pet pictures time, people!

Carrie Fisher enjoying a rare sunny morning here in Northern England. (And since someone will ask, behind her you can make out a Firefly soprano banjolele and a Uma Baby-T ukulele)
  4. BigJackBrass

This is what I need!

Will Grove-White has a number of videos on YouTube demonstrating his nose flute prowess:
  5. BigJackBrass

This is what I need!

Another old ad pinched from "A Most Amusing Bot" on Mastodon: "Humanatone only 10¢ from Scientific Novelty Company (1929)"
  6. BigJackBrass

Your Favourite Ukulele Ukulele Song

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that one includes any mention of the ukulele.
  7. BigJackBrass

Your Favourite Ukulele Ukulele Song

At the risk of being recursive, I was wondering which were the forum's favourite ukulele songs that feature the ukulele in subject or lyrics. Warren Zevon's The Hula Hula Boys, for example, with the line "And I can hear their ukuleles playing down by the sea," or perhaps George Formby's more...
  8. BigJackBrass

What if “Ukulele Dick” Konter had owned a Martin guitar rather than a uke?

Yes, the uke was apparently pretty much smuggled onto the 'plane, which would have been a considerably more difficult task with anything larger. Probably just as well he wasn't a pianist.
  9. BigJackBrass

This is what I need!

Well now, let's not be so quick to apportion blame 😉
  10. BigJackBrass

Waverly Tuners

I have a couple of sets, one with ebony buttons and one with koa, but I bought them years ago and they were nowhere near so expensive. I mean, they're terrific tuners, but that seems over the top. You have to be sure that the thickness of your headstock matches the specs, then there's the...
  11. BigJackBrass

Jukeboxes, Phone Booths and Transistor Radios

Do you recall what it was like during lockdown, with few cars and no aeroplanes? Blissful. The birdsong was wonderful.
  12. BigJackBrass

This is what I need!

It's the sort of thing I used to delight in buying for my sister's kids when they were small 😈
  13. BigJackBrass

Every morning I'm out at dawn with the dwarfs and tramps For a silent communion lit from above by the sodium lamps - Peter Gabriel, On the Air Good one. Everything about the night outside changed when we shifted to the modern white LEDs.
  14. BigJackBrass

This is what I need!

If you feel that your ukulele performances need a little something extra, then I'm here to tell you that the answer to your prayers was on the market way back in 1951!
  15. BigJackBrass

Recommendations for strings for D-tuning for a soprano scale ukulele

I've been using Rotosound RS85 strings on my Martin 0X Bamboo for the past few months. Took a while to settle (they're a clear nylon), but they have a very light, playable feel to them and I like the tone, which is not as bright and ringing as fluorocarbon. Bear in mind that I generally aim for...
  16. BigJackBrass

Is "cowboy chords" a derogatory term?

Can't say I've ever heard the expression before.
  17. BigJackBrass

What are the major ukulele events?

Aye, I was there at the first one and at the last but sadly missed everything in between. I'm looking forward to the Ukulele Festival of Great Britain, but it was a lot cheaper and more convenient toddling over to Huddersfield than having to go all the way to Cheltenham and deal with prices...
  18. BigJackBrass

What are the major ukulele events?

Unfortunately, GNUF may well have finished after the tenth one. However, Matt Stead is bringing back the Ukulele Festival of Great Britain, starting this year.
  19. BigJackBrass

Retracting the radio aerial before going through an automatic car wash.
Top Bottom