Search results

1. Barbablanca

SOTU 632 "I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS"

My contribution this week is a TWOFER, since you get two songs, one after the other, for the price of one visit! I wrote the rather apocalyptic song "First" at the beginning of February (2024) in response to a FAWM prompt of the same title. Then, towards the end of FAWM, another prompt...
  2. Barbablanca

Season 631: I Mist You

I didn't think I'd get time to do another one this week. But I was reviewing my FAWM songs from this year and realised this one is perfect for this season. It's a protest song about how long we have known about the climate crisis and how little the powers that be have chosen to do about it...
  3. Barbablanca

I have piled my contribution this week with all kinds of weather references. It's about a guy who has accepted his unfaithful wife back into his life (even though she robbed him blind) - but now is not sure it was a good idea. I hope you like it:
  4. Barbablanca

Forgive my Tardiness in Closing 630 - a lot has been happening. And, Jon, please forgive this interruption. Just a note to say my final thoughts on Season 630 have just been posted. Thanks to one and all who contributed! Back to Season 631 where we get to "Bless the Weather" - I really hope...
  5. Barbablanca

Season 630

Final Closing Thoughts on 630. Next time I agree to host, I must check to see if any birthday parties, friend's concerts and celebratory meet ups of the old gang to greet the spring are scheduled! Wendy brings us five more songs performed in the Magical Land of Oz with her tight backing band. I...
  6. Barbablanca

Season 630

Two marathon listens later and here is my latest report on The State of the Season: Hooray! Rob brings us a new original warning us of the perils of his dad's rhubarb wine. It brought back memories of my Dad's less toxic fruit and vegetable wines, of which he became a master brewer (at least in...
  7. Barbablanca

Season 630

We have a hectic day today. But I promise I will listen, put on the playlist and comment on every video when I get a moment... Probably be midnight tonight or tomorrow morning!
  8. Barbablanca

Season 630

Your host was working on quite a miserable song about putting our elderly in "Homes" that are anything but homes. However, that was going into too dark (and too close to home) territory and it has been shelved (for the moment) in favour of this happier ditty about how Carmen and I spend our...
  9. Barbablanca

Season 630

As a linguist and translator, I am fascinated by languages. We tend to think that "Chinese" divides into just Mandarin and Cantonese, whereas there are many many "dialects" in China. I put "dialects" in inverted commas, because while we generally take that word to mean "spoken with a different...
  10. Barbablanca

Season 630

BERNI's Thoughts CONTINUED: What a super duet on "Take me home, Country Roads" from Renaissance Man and Emba. I have no bone to pick with Rob's following contribution. A real Eastern European feel to his arrangement of "Having a Bone to Pick" Is this a first for the seasons, Mom and Koala...
  11. Barbablanca

Season 630

MY LATEST THOUGHTS ON THE SEASON Alan revived lost memories of a surrealistic kids' TV programme I remember as a youth. Jon puts his own individual stamp on this great Nick Lowe song "House for Sale" that had already been covered by Steve this Season. Well, we definitely have the SEASON...
  12. Barbablanca

Season 630

I just got around to uploading all the links to the songs submitted so far to the PLAYLIST. Please check that I have not accidentally left a song of yours out, please. On to song 30... Who will it be? What will they bring?
  13. Barbablanca

Season 630

John, OM & his U - gets my tear ducts flowing again with his poignant song about a lass who was dismissed as homely, but was anything but. Wendy brings us Tom Lehrer's rather bleak (if darkly hilarious) vision of a typical US Town. Val, gets me all nostalgic by bringing us a song my Mum and...
  14. Barbablanca

Season 630

The wonderfully carnivorous sounding "Bacon Salad" gave us a fine rendition of Paul Simon's "Li la lie!" classic. "Flyin' Groc" (I am punning - Groc in Catalan means yellow) took us home in a most emotive and classical way. Charlie dished us up a scrumptious and fairly obscure Beatles track...
  15. Barbablanca

Season 630

You must put a tune to that and sing in it this season, Val! It's lovely! Reminds me of an A.A. Milne type poem from "When we are Six"
  16. Barbablanca

Season 630

And we're off.... with our first photo finish. Graham's lovely soft lullaby just edged out Wendy (and her noisy cockatoos) for first place! Steve delivers a superb song I was unfamiliar with by Nick Lowe and Val makes me truly listen, for the first time ever, to the lyrics of "Walk Away Renée!"...
  17. Barbablanca

Season 630

Welcome to Season 630 I am posting this a little early this Season, because the opening hour for the season coincides with my wife's best friend's 60th birthday party tonight and so I don't know whether I will be able to post at the usual time that I would when hosting. Please don't post...
  18. Barbablanca

Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 629 - Season of the Cuckoo'lele

When I was a child of about seven to eight I heard strange voices in my head. They claimed to be from an invisible spaceship orbiting the earth. They told me they were from my home planet and that I was on Earth as an observer and would one day be taken home. These voices continued to...
  19. Barbablanca

Season 628 - Let’s Pretend!

I thought I wasn't going to get time to do another song, but I remembered this one from my old days as a country songwriter and it is just perfect for the theme - so I had to record it for this Season. Hope you like:
  20. Barbablanca

Season 628 - Let’s Pretend!

A quickie from me this time (FAWM is still on). As soon as I saw the theme for this one, I started playing with various ideas using the word "pretend" - my muse seemed strangely absent and I was beginning to wonder if I would get a song in this season. Then, this morning, I woke remembering an...
Top Bottom