Search results

1. mds725

The Two Word Chain Train Game

There are a couple of threads in the General Discussion Forum -- "Two Words With A Twist" and "Another New Word Game . . . Connected Words" -- in which the object of the game is to post a two word phrase using one of the two words in the previous two word phrases. In both of these games, you...
  2. mds725

Happy Holiday!

Best wishes for a happy holiday season and a happy and healthy new year!
  3. mds725

External preamp for a K&K passive pickup

I have a Compass Rose steel string baritone ukulele and a Kinnard steel string tenor guitar that have K&K passive pickups in them, and I'd like to get an external preamp for them. Someone I know has an LR Baggs Para D1 that he likes, but I noticed that in somewhat the same price range, LR baggs...
  4. mds725

"Stand Together" - Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" with original lyrics.

"Stand Together" - Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" with original lyrics. In November 2016, to honor Leonard Cohen following his passing and to address all the hate that had been produced by the 2016 U.S.A. presidential election, I wrote new words to Cohen's song, "Hallelujah." The resulting song...
  5. mds725

Veillette Avanti Gryphon guitars

Has anyone had any experience with, or even heard of, a guitar called Avanti Gryphon being sold by a company called Veillette? The guitar has an 18.5 inch scale and 12 steel strings that are paired, as with a mandolin. They appear to be tuned like guitars. Here's a link to the web page for...
  6. mds725

WTB recently-new Kamaka HF-4 Baritone

I am interested in buying a Kamaka HF-4 baritone ukulele that was built sometime in the last 10-12 years and is in excellent shape. If you have one you'd like to sell, please let me know! Mahalo!
  7. mds725

Rating airlines' cabin policies for musicians traveling with instruments

"The International Federation of Musicians has today published a 3-tiered rating system – based on how accommodating airlines’ cabin policies are for musicians traveling with instruments. The study found that at present only 11 airlines globally have set policies that state that they accept all...
  8. mds725

Kamaka reveals its centennial headstock

Kamaka revealed its centennial headstock at NAMM today and posted this photo on its Facebook page with the caption: "Kamaka Ukulele 100th Anniversary headstock on all stock models now available through our authorized dealers." Is anyone planning to buy a stock Kamaka ukulele this year for...
  9. mds725

Remembering Musicguymic

It was two years ago today that Michael "musicguymic" Aratani passed away after a long struggle with health issues. Like many of my UU friends, I bought my first online 'ukulele (a Kala solid acacia tenor that now belongs to a friend) from his eBay store. I had the pleasure of meeting him at...
  10. mds725

New Tenor Guitar (or steel string baritone ukulele?) Day

Last week I received my first ever custom tenor guitar, the first ever tenor guitar built by Beau Hannam. (Because it's tuned DGBE, it's arguably a steel string baritone ukulele! For that reason, I'm posting in "uke Talk" rather than in the guitar forum. Also, nobody looks at the Guitar...
  11. mds725

Two words with a twist

Here's what I'm hoping will be a fun and wildly successful game thread. According to Facebook, it was somehow inspired by the Mayor of Boston, MA. The rules are simple. > Take the two-word phrase from the previous post and change one of the words to create a new two-word phrase. > You...
  12. mds725

What color is your car (and/or bicycle and/or motorcycle)?

I happen to be shopping for a car now, and it got me to wondering how you guys decide what color car to get and whether you ended up with the color you wanted. (There was a three-month wait for my first new car, a Honda Civic, and back then you got the color that the dealership had on hand when...
  13. mds725

Major earthquake in Nepal

Sending out thoughts and prayers (and some much-needed money) to the people of Nepal, who were devastated today by a 7.8 earthquake that has, so far, killed more than 1.400 people. Here's a link to more information on the quake...
  14. mds725

A Hui Hou, Edgar Dang (danged)

Very sad news - Edgar Dang, co-owner of the Aloha Warehouse in San Francisco and a UU member (danged) passed away unexpectedly on Monday. He was a beloved member of the Hawaiian community in the Bay Area, an invaluable ukulele resource, a generous person and a good friend. His family is...
  15. mds725

Happy Birthday mmstan!

I hope you have a wonderful day today and do something especially nice for yourself. I recommend eating your favorite food and playing your favorite ukulele(s). :)
  16. mds725

KoAloha is moving!

Just posted on KoAloha's website and its Facebook page - KoAloha is moving on January 1, 2015, to the Kaka'ako area of Honolulu. Here's the link to the announcement on KoAloha's website. http://www.koaloha.com/2014/10/01/from-kalihi-to-kakaako-koaloha-ukulele-moves-to-kona-street/
  17. mds725

2014 Wine Country Ukulele Festival

The 2014 Wine Country Ukulele Festival takes place from Thursday September 4 through Sunday September 7 in St. Helena in Napa County, with most of the events occurring on Saturday and Sunday. Any UUers going? Any plans for a UU meetup/jam?
  18. mds725

Another strap thread: Is a strap button on the neck heel necessary?

I currently use a strap on my tenor and baritone ukuleles. I secure straps to the ukuleles with a strap button on the lower bout and a string that ties the other end of the strap to the headstock. Recently a guitar player warned me not to hold an ukulele by attaching the strap to the headstock...
  19. mds725

UU photo album photos have disappeared

Since the recent problems with the UU website, all my UU photo albums are empty. (As a result, all of the photos I've posted in any forum thread, which I posted by using a link to the photo in one of my UU photo albums, are gone. Has this happened to anyone else?
  20. mds725

Sarah Mclachlan is playing an ukulele in her concerts

A friend just came home from a Sarah McLachlan concerrt in the Denver area and told me that Sarah played the ukulele on a song called "The Sound That Love Makes." I found this video of the song from a performance at the Greek theatre in LA on June 28.
Top Bottom