Search results

1. Oldscruggsfan

How many ukes have you got? (expanded poll)

My age is 58. I own 6 large beach umbrellas, 6 beach chairs, at least a dozen beach towels, 5 hammers, 3 stepladders, 2 shovels, 3 sets of hedge trimmers, 2 push mowers, 2 fishing poles, 2 string trimmers, 2 leaf blowers, 2 shop vacs, 2 refrigerators, 2 chain saws, 2 old cars, 1 banjo and 1...
  2. Oldscruggsfan

Action height question

I tried going lower than 2.5mm (long story but had to reset neck joint angle). i didn’t like the resulting loss of volume & ended up shimming back to 2.5mm. I’m still not all that happy with the continued lack of volume when fretting past 7 but as @Pissodes advised, it’s a matter of personal...
  3. Oldscruggsfan

Season 636 - One for sorrow...

Thanks for hosting, Bob! Don’t Take The Girl Covered in 2003 by US Country artist Tim McGraw, this tear jerker by Craig Martin and Larry Johnson checks 5 of the 7 boxes for SOTU 636: Sorrow - Death during childbirth; Joy - Fishing with Dad, young love; Boy - Johnny; Girl - Mentioned throughout...
  4. Oldscruggsfan

my ukulele progress

Sodium content of the fake meat hamburger patties is as high, and sometimes higher, than in actual ground beef. Yet another example of “healthy” being improperly used. The same goes for so-called “self generated” chicken. It doesn’t get any more “genetically modified” than that.
  5. Oldscruggsfan

The Ultimate Word Game Thread

Gerbil
  6. Oldscruggsfan

Alternate Tuning Contest!

Thanks again for the kind words. FWIW, I’m working through the same tune in the same key (G) but in ‘standard’ GCEA tuning. This contest aside, IOAPM sounds far better in GCEA, to my untrained ear.;) Tom says GCEA is closer to MEOW…
  7. Oldscruggsfan

Thank you. Everything I do is old- timey. It’s who I am:ROFLMAO:. Seriously, though, I recorded with the voice memo app on my smart phone, with the receiver thingy turned away from the uke, in the hope of reducing overtones.
  8. Oldscruggsfan

Though, after listening to @polimoli’s wonderfully resonant, harmonic- filled entry, I’m extremely intimidated, here goes: It’s Only A Paper Moon on Yowling Tom soprano, tuned up one full step to D6 (A,D,F#,B) played in F progression.
  9. Oldscruggsfan

Today's Chuckle

Did the local Parks & Recreation Department intend to create a moon- eating Pac-Man tree? …. Or was the tree sideswiped by the same aliens who docked their airship on the water tower whilst the moon was full?
  10. Oldscruggsfan

How do I determine which key(s) I can sing in?

Thank you for posting this question, @BiosphereDecay! I’ve had precisely the same question rolling around in the vast empty space within the creative hemisphere of my tiny brain but presumed it to be virtually un-answerable in this forum/ format. Please allow me to piggyback a related question...
  11. Oldscruggsfan

The Two Word Chain Train Game

Shed Tears
  12. Oldscruggsfan

Installing a Disc-type Passive Piezo Pickup

Thank you for posting this thread, Dennis! I have zero knowledge about amp hardware & this is great stuff.:)
  13. Oldscruggsfan

what are you reading?

Four chapters into Matthew in my 3rd reading of the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. Three years ago, a customer (a person I have yet to meet face to face) shipped a Bible to my office with my name embossed into the leather cover. At the time, ingrained and long practiced realism...
  14. Oldscruggsfan

my ukulele progress

:ROFLMAO: Thank you. Simian serenade is “I Wanna Be Like You” by King Louie (featured in the Disney version of Kipling’s “The Jungle Book”).
  15. Oldscruggsfan

Do ukulele players have favorite key signatures, for ease of playing?

This is a great question. I very recently realized how resonant Yowling Tom (my gaudily- painted, kit- built soprano) sounds in the Key of D. No idea why. A couple examples: Bella Notte [On “18 Wheels And A Dozen Roses”, I left intentional gaps between the intro, sections of the verse and verse...
  16. Oldscruggsfan

Bella Notte - from Disney’s Lady And The Tramp

“Semi- Campanella” finger style Key of D - Yowling Tom generally prefers The Aristocats but he loves this scene. He sees the spaghetti noodle & thinks it’s yarn.
  17. Oldscruggsfan

Hello From Montana

Welcome, Mr. Chainsaw! Former banjo player here. I hang my uke near Atlanta.
  18. Oldscruggsfan

The Two Word Chain Train Game

Plant Manager
  19. Oldscruggsfan

Hello from Walthamstow London

I learned long ago that a banjo player who fails to learn to laugh at himself is likely to be angry all the time. That mindset has also served me well with ukulele. I’m sure I played bagpipes in a former life. :ROFLMAO:
  20. Oldscruggsfan

How large is your Ukeverse?

UUF is it.:) Which is certainly not a bad thing.
Top Bottom