Search results

1. PhilWA

Sold FS: Kanile'a K-1 Deluxe Koa Baritone

Natika you are killing me! That baritone would look so good next to the Kanile’a tenor I got from you. Unfortunately I am not in a position to pick it up. For those looking at this, you would have to look long and hard to find a more reputable seller. Good luck on the sale..
  2. PhilWA

Hello from the Seattle area.

Hello from Whidbey Island.
  3. PhilWA

Baritone with Worth Browns

I have tried many different strings on my super tenor and still have a few more packs to try out. It had Living Water strings on it when I bought it and the string journey has been interesting to say the least. Every instrument I play has been a learning experience as far as which strings work...
  4. PhilWA

Thanks for the reply, I may give the clears a try on my Kanile’a super tenor.
  5. PhilWA

I recently inherited a Lanikai LU-21B from an old friend and mentor. I know it is not an expensive uke but it means the world to me. I was not sure what the strings were that he had on it but they were in pretty bad shape. I sprung for some Worth Browns and must say they really sound fantastic...
  6. PhilWA

Can Shure SM 81 stereo pairs be used LIVE with Baritones and vocals

I can’t speak for the SM81 but I use a matched pair of Rode NT5 microphones in a similar fashion. A decent mixer with some quality preamps will go a long way to making those work for you. Phil
  7. PhilWA

Location, please

Whidbey Island in the beautiful state of Washington.
  8. PhilWA

Aquila Red

I have not tried the Reds but will add a set to my next order. Thanks.
  9. PhilWA

Aquila Red

I just put a set of D'Addario Titanium strings on my Kanile'a Super Tenor and so far I am really well pleased with them. They are taking a bit of time to stretch in and keep tune but they do play well and sound nice. The package does not say T2 on it but the set is the EJ87T. I tried to like the...
  10. PhilWA

New String Day

One final update. I recorded again this morning but this time while strumming. Same X-Y position on the Rode NT-5 microphones. I did at first hear some squeaking going on and but noticed that is seemed to come more from my fingernail going across the strings than the strings themselves. I...
  11. PhilWA

New String Day

I just did an interesting test of the Sugar strings. I had been hearing some very minor squeaks that have been mentioned, mostly while strumming. I just made a test recording using a couple of high quality Rode pencil mics and never heard a squeak at all. The next chance I have I will record...
  12. PhilWA

New String Day

Thanks I will put a couple of set of the Aldrins on order. The sugars sounded much better today and they really seem to hold tune quite well. Phil
  13. PhilWA

New String Day

Thanks for your reply. I am noticing a little bit of squeak but nothing totally objectionable. They certainly settled in much faster than the Martin 620's ever did. They were pretty consistently almost a half tone flat every time I went to play. I will stick with them and see how they work out...
  14. PhilWA

New String Day

Actually the 620’s were not all that terrible and 4 months seems like a pretty good lifespan compared to what I get on some other instrument string sets.
  15. PhilWA

New String Day

My next two string tests will be a set of Aquila Super Nylgut or a set of D'Addario Titaniums. These are what I have on hand at the moment. I mostly play guitar so the thicker strings do not bother me too much. Still testing for that magic string for this beautiful instrument. Thanks for the...
  16. PhilWA

New String Day

I just removed the Martin 620's from my Kanile'a Super tenor and installed some of the Aquila Sugar labeled as Squeakless. These are reentrant strings and so far I am liking them quite a bit. They seem to be a bit easier to play bar chords and they sound very nice played finger style. The Martin...
  17. PhilWA

Graziano baritone uke w/Crossrock fiberglass case & Waverly tuners...video comparison

I would love to see more pictures of your baritone. thanks, Phil
  18. PhilWA

Uke Mistaken For Guitar

I do have the required chin whiskers to qualify for ownership!
  19. PhilWA

Uke Mistaken For Guitar

You should see the looks I get when I take my Beard resophonic out of the guitar case!
  20. PhilWA

Uke Like the Pros Questionable Business Practices

I can understand why. I am really loving the Martin 620 strings on it. Phil
Top Bottom